C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV IP driver

4 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

So does that mean that savant and crestron have same issues? What about HoneywellComfort (controlling Honeywell stats), iAquaLink issues, MyQ, hikvision? Ie what, besides lighting and music, can I do perfectly and completely w C4? Again I’m tech savvy, have in two homes, know HE, and have upgraded our dealer to pinnacle/diamond. If I want lighting and music I can deal with Sonos and Lutron as separate apps. C4 doesn’t seem to come close to being a home hub. And we’ve the latest C4 equipment and drivers!

Is there a reason you are using hardware that has known issues with C4?  

For a garage door - sensors on the door + a relay on an extra remote is all you need.  I mean I have MyQ with the MyQ driver and knock on wood, it still works.  But again that is MyQ closing their sandbox and asking C4 (or other partners) to pay them for each cloud call - aka each time a customer opens/closes the door, MyQ wants money from C4 or others.

Hikvision - so many people here have Hikvision maybe I am missing the problem.  I use Dahua, Vivotek and Foscam cameras without any issues all while using a 3rd party NVR called Blue Iris.

HoneywellComfort - does it provide you with anything over a "dumb" Control4 Thermostat?  Any reason you have the Honeywell?  I am curious - I just use the Gen 1 C4 T stats in a basement with wired sensors through the house and its worked flawless for 7+ years and I have no tstats on walls in main areas - just 1 room in my basement.

What does C4 offer?  Well for me:

• Security: 3 door locks (Kwikset), garage doors with MyQ, soon to be fence gates all on c4.  Also seamless integration with my DSC alarm, auto water shut off valve and water bugs.  12 security cameras too with an NVR
  • A/V: 9 zones of whole home audio, 6 TVs with a distributed system all in c4
  • Lighting: All C4 hardware + various sensors to trigger lighting (motion + door sensors)
  • HVAC - Central AC (2 zones), baseboard heating (4 zones) and radiant floor heating (2 zones)
  • Misc: 5 Somfy Blinds across 2 rooms, Sprinkler system and tons of notifications and monitoring

I am probably missing a few things - but I plan out my next move with my dealer to make sure there are applicable drivers, things have been tested by others and work, etc.  I do not buy stuff off the shelf then figure out a way to integrate, but I picked my hub (c4), then I pick what works with C4.  If picked Savant or Crestron would be the same thing - pick a hub, then pick the hardware that works. 

7 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I mean I have MyQ with the MyQ driver and knock on wood, it still works.  But again that is MyQ closing their sandbox and asking C4 (or other partners) to pay them for each cloud call - aka each time a customer opens/closes the door, MyQ wants money from C4 or others.

But Control4 has never said they had MyQ support - they have never had 1st party support for MyQ.  Ever.

1 hour ago, penn65000 said:

So does that mean that savant and crestron have same issues? What about HoneywellComfort (controlling Honeywell stats), iAquaLink issues, MyQ, hikvision? Ie what, besides lighting and music, can I do perfectly and completely w C4? Again I’m tech savvy, have in two homes, know HE, and have upgraded our dealer to pinnacle/diamond. If I want lighting and music I can deal with Sonos and Lutron as separate apps. C4 doesn’t seem to come close to being a home hub. And we’ve the latest C4 equipment and drivers!

Savant experienced the same issue originally but the AppleTV IP driver works fine wired or wireless. It also has voice control and goes nicely with the AppleTV Savant app. 

MyQ is industry wide. "3rd party" APIs will continue to be more and more closed off because of liability and privacy and in this case security. All high end automation dealers should be hard wiring sensors and soldering control. That has been the standard for a decade. 

50 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

But Control4 has never said they had MyQ support - they have never had 1st party support for MyQ.  Ever.

I agree.  At the time I knew the risks and still went with it.  Its been 2+ years so I've gotten my money out of the driver if it went belly up tomorrow.   Had I done it again I probably would have asked my contractor to not put in MyQ from the start but when doing a complete home renovation some of these "small details" like the motor on a garage door kind of fall through the cracks.

19 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Is there a reason you are using hardware that has known issues with C4?  

For a garage door - sensors on the door + a relay on an extra remote is all you need.  I mean I have MyQ with the MyQ driver and knock on wood, it still works.  But again that is MyQ closing their sandbox and asking C4 (or other partners) to pay them for each cloud call - aka each time a customer opens/closes the door, MyQ wants money from C4 or others.

Hikvision - so many people here have Hikvision maybe I am missing the problem.  I use Dahua, Vivotek and Foscam cameras without any issues all while using a 3rd party NVR called Blue Iris.

HoneywellComfort - does it provide you with anything over a "dumb" Control4 Thermostat?  Any reason you have the Honeywell?  I am curious - I just use the Gen 1 C4 T stats in a basement with wired sensors through the house and its worked flawless for 7+ years and I have no tstats on walls in main areas - just 1 room in my basement.

What does C4 offer?  Well for me:

• Security: 3 door locks (Kwikset), garage doors with MyQ, soon to be fence gates all on c4.  Also seamless integration with my DSC alarm, auto water shut off valve and water bugs.  12 security cameras too with an NVR
  • A/V: 9 zones of whole home audio, 6 TVs with a distributed system all in c4
  • Lighting: All C4 hardware + various sensors to trigger lighting (motion + door sensors)
  • HVAC - Central AC (2 zones), baseboard heating (4 zones) and radiant floor heating (2 zones)
  • Misc: 5 Somfy Blinds across 2 rooms, Sprinkler system and tons of notifications and monitoring

I am probably missing a few things - but I plan out my next move with my dealer to make sure there are applicable drivers, things have been tested by others and work, etc.  I do not buy stuff off the shelf then figure out a way to integrate, but I picked my hub (c4), then I pick what works with C4.  If picked Savant or Crestron would be the same thing - pick a hub, then pick the hardware that works. 

I am using hardware that is shown as compatible by C4 and yes chose most of it based on that. I shouldn’t have to go through user groups to understand if it is “really” compatible. As I said iAquaLink and hikvision and Honeywell stats and appletv and Honeywell vista should work perfectly but don’t. If they don’t then take them off the list! MyQ is only one that wasn’t my choice so you can forget that.

I think I read somewhere that Control4 and Total Connect (TC2.0) can't work at the same time. In my case, I can control my alarm from either the Control4 app or the TC2.0 app. Did I miss something? Any change with the new driver replacing the "obsolete" one?

30 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

I am using hardware that is shown as compatible by C4 and yes chose most of it based on that. I shouldn’t have to go through user groups to understand if it is “really” compatible. As I said iAquaLink and hikvision and Honeywell stats and appletv and Honeywell vista should work perfectly but don’t. If they don’t then take them off the list! MyQ is only one that wasn’t my choice so you can forget that.

certainly a disconnect

not putting down platinum dealers but a lot of that is based on sales not necessary support.

You are using Honeywell hardware not supported.  And you just say resolution is off on the cameras but you aren't stating which cameras, is the feed coming into C4 via an NVR or direct from the camera?  A Hik camera with a generic IP Camera driver should work.  Have you tried to play with the FPS?  These are easy things to fix and should have been done by your dealer.

14 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

certainly a disconnect

not putting down platinum dealers but a lot of that is based on sales not necessary support.

You are using Honeywell hardware not supported.  And you just say resolution is off on the cameras but you aren't stating which cameras, is the feed coming into C4 via an NVR or direct from the camera?  A Hik camera with a generic IP Camera driver should work.  Have you tried to play with the FPS?  These are easy things to fix and should have been done by your dealer.

I have the Honeywell vista hardware but it doesn’t work w totalconnect. I get that so you can ignore that. Hikvision requires resolution downgrade to show via osd. Not willing to cripple a needed second steam so C4 can handle. I think the feed is from supported Hik nvr but not certain. Solved in another house but getting LUMA which has Tri stream driver (which didn’t work at first and LUMA had to fix the driver for us/Tri). But paying 3x for hardware for third stream isn’t palatable. IAquaLink broken and only has rudimentary functions when it is actually working. Honeywell comfort doesn’t work properly. Yes there’s a driver but two-way is often not working and can’t use full functionally of the stats. 

49 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

I have the Honeywell vista hardware but it doesn’t work w totalconnect. I get that so you can ignore that. Hikvision requires resolution downgrade to show via osd. Not willing to cripple a needed second steam so C4 can handle. I think the feed is from supported Hik nvr but not certain. Solved in another house but getting LUMA which has Tri stream driver (which didn’t work at first and LUMA had to fix the driver for us/Tri). But paying 3x for hardware for third stream isn’t palatable. IAquaLink broken and only has rudimentary functions when it is actually working. Honeywell comfort doesn’t work properly. Yes there’s a driver but two-way is often not working and can’t use full functionally of the stats. 

Cripple a second stream?  I guess I look at security cameras differently but as default I have my security cameras all at 5-10 FPS even on the main stream.  I am not watching these for cinematic quality presentation - if someone approaches my house or a dog does its business on my lawn 5-10 FPS are ample - and I did not do this for C4 purposes but I did it to increase hard drive storage on the NAS.  Never got why people have security cameras running 20-30 FPS but I guess there may be a use case for it.

Cant speak for Aqualink, never used it, no clue what it does, its history, etc.  

Was there a reason you went honeywell comfort over the basic C4 stat?  

I guess what I've learned - where possible go with C4 hardware.  Less headache, longer support cycles, etc.  That does not really solve your issues.  But maybe you need a new dealer if they keep spec'ing things that do not work and it causes you to repurchase stuff 2-3x.

39 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Never got why people have security cameras running 20-30 FPS but I guess there may be a use case for it.

Pretty standard to use that on 'event' recording for police assistance. IE many NVRS will only record at those frame rates when it senses motion on the camera

Also, check out Uniview cameras. Driver works, in NVR or not and dual stream for a (fill in desired rez to NVR) stream + 720p stream

54 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Pretty standard to use that on 'event' recording for police assistance. IE many NVRS will only record at those frame rates when it senses motion on the camera

Also, check out Uniview cameras. Driver works, in NVR or not and dual stream for a (fill in desired rez to NVR) stream + 720p stream

I watch way too much Dateline - those recordings usually being pulled from outdoor security cameras certainly do not look like 20-30 fps 🙂   But I am no industry expert.  The 2x I needed to use my footage for real my 10 FPS were more than ample.

FPS reduction isn't as much of an issue as an enforced 720P resolution limit.  Let's all be honest - C4's handling of cameras in general is significantly behind the curve at this point.  I'm guessing that most customers who have been shown how to use a second app (NVMS etc) are using it instead of native C4 to view cameras.

As for using footage to really help police - there are too many instances where 2.8mm cameras are used vs 4mm and 6mm.  When it comes to the point where you have to actually identify the face of someone (rather than just observe the presence of someone), that's a problem.  I always advise people to understand the tradeoffs of field of view over image quality at given distances.

1 hour ago, OceanDad said:

FPS reduction isn't as much of an issue as an enforced 720P resolution limit.  Let's all be honest - C4's handling of cameras in general is significantly behind the curve at this point.  I'm guessing that most customers who have been shown how to use a second app (NVMS etc) are using it instead of native C4 to view cameras.

As for using footage to really help police - there are too many instances where 2.8mm cameras are used vs 4mm and 6mm.  When it comes to the point where you have to actually identify the face of someone (rather than just observe the presence of someone), that's a problem.  I always advise people to understand the tradeoffs of field of view over image quality at given distances.

Exactly why we use highest res and yes the 720P is the issue. Not sure why the EA5 can’t handle higher res. It could even lower the res for the purposes of the OSD. Even our home w the CA10 controller can’t do this (I know ca10 doesn’t handle osd but given it’s power they could have had it handle security camera down-res). Re hvac:C4 stats are bulky and they don’t interface with the utility and I think for humidification and dehumidification (we have both) they only have simple contact closure. Honeywell work nicely and are pretty ubiquitous. C4 doesn’t play well w them. I get the point MSGreenf has made re vista and i DO have the hardware (serial interface) but I disabled C4 control because (a) it didn’t play well with the many zones we had (and had issues w two way communication — came out of synch and I at least couldn’t find a way to enter new passwords and remove them) and (b) couldn’t coexist with total connect (neither our dealer nor Honeywell dealer knew that). IAquaLink is a Jandy product and it quite common for pool owners. It doesn’t play well w C4. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.