C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa Troubleshooting

I've seen a few different posts on here regarding Alexa and Control4.  I'd like to provide some information that may help solve issues you are running into.

This link below will go over the basics and requirements for integrating Alexa with Control4.  It has a couple of videos, and a guide, highly recommend watching the quick videos to get familiar.

https://www.control4.com/stashes/alexa-help

If Alexa was working, but you're having intermittent issues, or it stopped working, try the following:

- Ensure you have 4Sight, you can do this by logging into your account.

- Proper network setup, such as using static DNS look up. (may need to include your dealer for this)

- Ensure the time of your Control4 system is correct and in the right time zone(check a remote, navigator, or touchscreen), if it's wrong please contact your dealer.

- Verbally have Alexa discover devices after making any changes to names or scenes.

- Check the naming of your devices through your account page, change a name of a device and verbally ask Alexa to discover devices.

- Disable the Control4 skill through the Alexa app, and re-enable it.  This will also prompt you to re-discover devices.

- Reboot your main Control4 unit, as well as the Alexa device.

Dealers can refer to KB 1890 as well.

2 hours ago, control4user007 said:

Any chance we can get "read-only" access to dealer forums (even portions of it) ? :) 

Edited: Just wanted to say that I really appreciate Derrick reaching out to us on this forum - re-assures me as a C4 customer!

I'm glad to hear!  I'll try to be an additional resource, and I know I've talked to a few people here on the phone and through e-mail.

I'll pass along the suggestion, although I know dealer forums are geared more towards dealer/manufacture information.

8 hours ago, Derrick Cain said:

I'm glad to hear!  I'll try to be an additional resource, and I know I've talked to a few people here on the phone and through e-mail.

I'll pass along the suggestion, although I know dealer forums are geared more towards dealer/manufacture information.

Thanks so much for your help Derrick.  

I'm having a repeat of the issue that you helped me with last week, with the Alexa integration suddenly disappearing.  The prior fix, resetting the controller, did not work this time.  I tried disabling the c4 skill in the Alexa app but cannot re-enable it.  I get this error:"an error has occurred while attempting to link Alexa with control4.  Please try again later"

I think it's something on C4's end because I'm even having trouble just logging into my account on the control4.com website.... It's very sluggish and takes forever to load. 

Any ideas? 

5 hours ago, carvelln said:

Thanks so much for your help Derrick.  

I'm having a repeat of the issue that you helped me with last week, with the Alexa integration suddenly disappearing.  The prior fix, resetting the controller, did not work this time.  I tried disabling the c4 skill in the Alexa app but cannot re-enable it.  I get this error:"an error has occurred while attempting to link Alexa with control4.  Please try again later"

I think it's something on C4's end because I'm even having trouble just logging into my account on the control4.com website.... It's very sluggish and takes forever to load. 

Any ideas? 

if the integration fails to appear, that means it's unlinked.  If you can't login to your control4 account that is really odd.  What happens when you go directly to customer.control4.com, can you login?  Maybe you need to do a password change?  Does your mobile app still work?

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

if the integration fails to appear, that means it's unlinked.  If you can't login to your control4 account that is really odd.  What happens when you go directly to customer.control4.com, can you login?  Maybe you need to do a password change?  Does your mobile app still work?

Customer.control4.com is what was responding sluggishly all last night (and several times throughout the last week).  As another poster mentioned above, it does seem that the slowdown and lack of Alexa communication occurs around the same time of night (approximately 9-11 pm eastern).

I can eventually login but loading the account after putting in my email account and password literally takes minutes.  That's why I thought something was affecting C4's servers and preventing communication with AWS?  The mobile app was still working and allowing appropriate local control but without any Alexa integration. 

But then this morning, everything started working fine again.  I was able to finally re-enable control4 integration through the Alexa app.  And the customer.control4.com website is fast and snappy again, allowing me to login immediately.   It's very weird.  Does control4 do server maintenance or something like that every night at the same time?

Just now, carvelln said:

Customer.control4.com is what was responding sluggishly all last night (and several times throughout the last week).  As another poster mentioned above, it does seem that the slowdown and lack of Alexa communication occurs around the same time of night (approximately 9-11 pm eastern).

I can eventually login but loading the account after putting in my email account and password literally takes minutes.  That's why I thought something was affecting C4's servers and preventing communication with AWS?  The mobile app was still working and allowing appropriate local control but without any Alexa integration. 

But then this morning, everything started working fine again.  I was able to finally re-enable control4 integration through the Alexa app.  It's very weird.  Does control4 do server maintenance or something like that every night at the same time?

don't think its server maintenance, sounds more like load during peak prime-time hours when people are home...

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

don't think its server maintenance, sounds more like load during peak prime-time hours when people are home...

That makes sense.  As I edited above, the customer.control4.com website is now loading immediately after login without any delay. 

Our web services team has identified and addressed the issue that may have been affecting users during higher traffic times.  If your Control4 account is currently disconnected from Alexa (devices showing offline), disable and re-enable the skill.  We are continuing to improve stability and response when using native Alexa.  Please PM me or post if you have issues or feedback.

8 hours ago, Derrick Cain said:

Our web services team has identified and addressed the issue that may have been affecting users during higher traffic times.  If your Control4 account is currently disconnected from Alexa (devices showing offline), disable and re-enable the skill.  We are continuing to improve stability and response when using native Alexa.  Please PM me or post if you have issues or feedback.

Derrick, any suggestion when we're not able to re-enable?  That happened to me during the high load period.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.