C4 Forums | Control4

Router recommendations?

My cisco - linksys router does not seem to handle my wifi requirements.

Airplay from ipad/iphone to apple tv keeps cutting out.

Any recommendations for boosting wifi capabilities without breaking the bank?

I only have 5-6 devices that use wifi.

Apple TV is soon to be hardwired to the network once I run another cable.

Cheers.

If the router is working well otherwise consider getting a dedicated WAP to add instead of replacing the router.

Plenty of options there without breaking the bank (wide-open anyway).

Asus has one that seems to work well, Engenius units (ECB series) are well-priced for their high output also.

Both of those are the same or usually less than the average consumer grade router.

A decent (W)AP tends to do a better job at WiFi than a good router - and for as much or less.

Asus RT-N66U or Asus RT-AC66U both work great and can be used as VPN clients. No reason to blow your brains out on a mega expensive router for 99% of owners. My N66U is way better than the old CISCO POS my dealer sold me at a fraction of the cost.

Asus RT-N66U or Asus RT-AC66U both work great and can be used as VPN clients. No reason to blow your brains out on a mega expensive router for 99% of owners. My N66U is way better than the old CISCO POS my dealer sold me at a fraction of the cost.

Ditto - works great and excellent wifi range.

Matt

I use a Mikrotik router on all projects now, including my own home. Pair one up with a WAP (preferably a Ruckus) and your off to the races.

A basic Mikrotik, RB750 is well under a $100 and is amazingly powerful. Put it in with even a basic Unifi WAP or two and you'll have a very robust and flexible network that will serve about 80% of the users here. Switch out the Unifi for Ruckus and you should be able to handle the other 20%.

Not that experienced in hardware, so please excuse my ignorance.

If I was to install a new WAP to go with my existing Router (cisco linksys):

1. Will the WAP simply act as an extender or will it become the sole wifi point?

2. does a WAP improve the performance or wifi - or should I upgrade the router as well as buying a WAP

3. would I be best simply buying a good router (ASUS ?) and placing it in the lounge cupboard and leaving the existing router to run DSL only from the garage rack?

- Noting this is all an issue in my house because airplay on apple tv keeps dropping off when run totally wirelessly using both ipad and iphone.

Cheers.

1 In your scenario it would replace the existing WiFi.

2 Generally a good WAP will tend to run a better WiFi then a router's built-in, better coverage, better speed. The pure 'router' portion of a router generally has little effect on WiFi as such - but if your wired devices are slow as well, it could improve things for you.

3 I assume this is a ISP provided router/modem in one? If so - if the router works well otherwise, as a DIY not knowing too much about networking, just get a WAP if WiFi is your only issue. If you ARE a bit more comfortable, if that's a modem/router in one, best is to set that to bridge mode (disabling the router and wifi) and use a better router in it's place. Keep in mind though that this may mean setting the replacement to specific range settings and/or changing things in your C4 system to keep it all working, and your provider may have to be scheduled to come by and make the change.

Thanks Cyknight.

Yes the current router is router/modem in one, I bought it, was cheap but has done the job for 6 years...

Just like Control 4 has been soldiering on for 5 years on 1.7.4 - time to update.

My first test will be to hardwire apple tv and see if airplay works better that way.

I will probably go with the ASUS RT-AC66U anyway, and bridge to linksys to run as DSL only.

I'm only going to get more wifi devices in the house, so may as well upgrade now.

Thanks Cyknight.

Yes the current router is router/modem in one, I bought it, was cheap but has done the job for 6 years...

Just like Control 4 has been soldiering on for 5 years on 1.7.4 - time to update.

My first test will be to hardwire apple tv and see if airplay works better that way.

I will probably go with the ASUS RT-AC66U anyway, and bridge to linksys to run as DSL only.

I'm only going to get more wifi devices in the house, so may as well upgrade now.

Have you considered this.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD031LL/A/refurbished-airport-extreme-base-station

Apple certainly want it to work well with their devices.

+1 - Mikrotik as a router cannot be beat for the features / price. Does require a reasonably technical background to take advantage of it all.

I use a Mikrotik router on all projects now, including my own home. Pair one up with a WAP (preferably a Ruckus) and your off to the races.

A basic Mikrotik, RB750 is well under a $100 and is amazingly powerful. Put it in with even a basic Unifi WAP or two and you'll have a very robust and flexible network that will serve about 80% of the users here. Switch out the Unifi for Ruckus and you should be able to handle the other 20%.

Apple Airport Extreme is $319 NZD

Asus RT-AC66U is $340 NZD

I would probably go with ASUS, simply to avoid Apple, although Apple is growing on me.

Outside some vintage iPods the Airport Extreme will be the only Apple device in my house.

I have a lot of people recommending it to me.

The prior generation Airport Extreme is $199 NZD with a 12m WTY so should be good as new. Generally these are returns that can't be sold 'as new'.

http://store.apple.com/nz/product/FD031X/A/refurbished-airport-extreme-base-station

Though everyone here is recommending the ASUS. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived