C4 Forums | Control4

Slingbox and HDCP content

drmark12pa

I'm considering purchasing the Slingbox 500 to use for travel away from home.  I will run it off of my current matrix.  However, when reading about the Slingbox, HDCP protected content apparently does not run on the Slingbox. 

My primary use for the unit would be watching Netflix via my PS3, bluray ISOs via my Popcorn Hour A400, and DirecTV.

Is the Slingbox 500 capable of this?  I'm concerned about remotely watching content if there is any restriction.

I will use Control4 of course to control the matrix remotely.

The other challenge is that you need to make sure you have an HC300 or HC200 that can be controlled via IR.  Control4 killed true Slingbox integration when they cut out IR control.  Until Control4 allows IR control, or Sling can control devices via IP (which they should be able to do) you won't have the true integration that we used to enjoy.

Also even if you do use HDCP stripper, the Slingbox 500 can only process 2 channel audio. I bought one and gave up trying to use it.  You'd have to use an HDCP stripper, and also a box that can strip digital audio out from HDMI and down convert it to 2 channel audio as it doesn't have an optical input anymore.  So far I haven't been able to find any devices that can do all that.  As far as I can see the HDMI input on the Slingbox is a complete waste.

I believe the 500 has component inputs, correct?

If you're worried about HDCP problems, you could always go with and HDFury that will strip HDCP and will also give you 2 channel audio. It's the only product on the market that just works 100%

That doesn't surprise me, although be sure to not limit your search to 'HC300' as the codes are universal for all controllers - they are 'system codes'.

Note that you can't just point a remote at a controller and expect it to work, room IR inputs and room masks need to be set-up, and only the first 200 codes are default codes with standard responses (play, pause, volume - you get the idea). The other 3800 codes are unassigned and need to get their behavior programmed in.

Note that their are 4000 codes times 15 masks or 60000 codes total.

I'll attach a link to the the hex files for all of them, to learn them into a harmony you may need to make a driver in  composer, then learn them back into the Harmony. They are divided into each mask.

Perhaps someone else has a ready made driver for you to use?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv0b8nr5cgbm0ey/AllCodes.zip

Here's an email from an exchange I had with their tech support..

We have no device that can decode 5.1 such as dts or dolby digital hdmi audio and output stereo. You would need to send pcm stereo over hdmi to be able to extract analog audio out of the analog audio.

Sorry

Hope this helps

That doesn't surprise me, although be sure to not limit your search to 'HC300' as the codes are universal for all controllers - they are 'system codes'.

Note that you can't just point a remote at a controller and expect it to work, room IR inputs and room masks need to be set-up, and only the first 200 codes are default codes with standard responses (play, pause, volume - you get the idea). The other 3800 codes are unassigned and need to get their behavior programmed in.

Note that their are 4000 codes times 15 masks or 60000 codes total.

Thank you very much for this info.   Here's what i was hoping to do:

At one of my viewing places, I just added an HC300 (moved it actually after upgrading to an HC800 elsewhere).  My wife/kids watch a lot of their TV via SlingCatcher while using a Harmony 880 remote.    With the C4 remote, there is no easy way to make custom buttons with the appropriate labels (i.e. "OPT", "Sling", etc. for SlingBox).

So at the moment, I have that viewing place configured so that the Harmony can be used for everything (other sources such as DVD player, HTPC, etc.) except viewing the C4 interface.  

What I'd like to do is to be able to control the C4 interface (supplied by HC300) via Harmony.  Since I'll only be controlling the GUI, I would only need to send standard directional signals, "select" and "back/cancel" for the most part.

Main thing I would use this for is basically viewing surveillance cameras and adjusting lights, HVAC, etc.....I'd still use the Harmony for controlling A/V devices.

Archived