C4 Forums | Control4

Ideas for new Apps on 2.7

Now that we will be running android with 2.7, will it be possible to have a native Plex app that replaces the inherent C4 media management and  manages the media on screen and can launch the movies to a plex client.  This should be possible now that we are on android.

Hardly.

My information on it is limited, but the new touchscreens are running on (i assume modified) android OS - this does NOT mean the new screens are android tablets with the C4 app installed. It also doesn't mean apps can simply be ported over.

It MIGHT mean doing so becomes easier - though I'm not sure media management by Plex is by default such a good idea - why Plex vs XMBC/Kodi, or MyMovies or..... Part of the problem being that if C4 themselves would commit to that, they'd be stuck supporting it - and that boat didn't sail all that well with the previous two times (AMC and Grace - both at the time arguably the biggest databases available). And not just the database, but also in the players.

Possibly an app for (by example) Plex could be done however bypassing any native management - as well as an app for xxx and yyy etc.

Again, my information is quite limited, but as far as I can tell - it's a bit early to be asking for specific apps - or I should say, ask away but (clear) answers are not likely to be very forthcoming as those 3rd parties that would be creating them are likely still in the early phases of understanding the possibilities - let alone the how and whats.

No custom apps for the touchscreens will be coming out on it for the t3 touchscreens on os 2.7. Control4 have hard coded apps into the touchscreen for the most popular apps (door locks and weather). There is no 4store replacement however control4 have advised that they are looking into solutions for a replacement though no official announcement or ETA.

Personally (not speaking on behalf of control4) I would not expect anything to come out this year (eg even if the platform were to come out developers will need to work on learning and developing stuff for it.

That sounds rather sad... Unless, of course, OS2.7 is so incredible and all encompassing that it does not need apps...

I continue to fail to see how this affects ANY 2.7 update?

This affects the NEW screens, it affects NOTHING else in 2.7 - also keep in mind that for the time being the 'old' screens with cam are an actively sold product.

I continue to fail to see how this affects ANY 2.7 update?

This affects the NEW screens, it affects NOTHING else in 2.7 - also keep in mind that for the time being the 'old' screens with cam are an actively sold product.

I don't think the concern is the screens really, its people get excited about the new possibilities. What is sad is that every manufacturer has to make everything proprietary and reinvent the wheel which is what sounds like is going on with 4Store. 

^ While true, it was up for a change - it was all based on flash, and flash for better or for worse, right or wrong, has for all intends and purposes been shoved aside on every other interface.

I've no idea how proprieatary the new setup will be, if at all - not saying it won't be - but that info just doesn't exist out there at this time.

I don't think the concern is the screens really, its people get excited about the new possibilities. What is sad is that every manufacturer has to make everything proprietary and reinvent the wheel which is what sounds like is going on with 4Store.

Quite right... And to expand using myself as an example... At risk of posting this in the wrong thread...

I installed a complete system in 2014. I love upgrading (and actually don't mind paying to upgrade and move forward - how many of us are on our second or third iPads? And Apple only launched the original iPad 5 or 6 years back). When I saw the announcement of the new screens in Feb, I contacte my dealer and asked him to:

1. Install OS 2.7 as soon as it was available.

2. Order me a couple of new Touchscreens to replace 1 or 2 - price dependant - of my current 4 (intention being to replace the other 2 if I really like these).

3. Order one new thermostat - despite me only installing Control4 thermostats in September last year - so I can play and consider the expensive option of upgrading all 12...

All of the above was fine BUT, I have 2 apps. One of which I love (see StartHere thread :-)) and have invested days in programming and creating 8 custom screens which behave differently in different rooms (with up to 24 buttons each, hot cold feedback on each button, buttons being visible and invisible depending on what is happening in my house... 4 lines of text feedback used extensively on each custom screen etc.)

The problem... I can update the software but not to the cool super fast hardware (despite being happy to pay). The long term problem: if the app is not rewriten but something similar appears, I probably have a day or two that I need to waste (as the original programming was done in January 2015, that is frustrating). The bigger long term problem... If the app is not rewritten then I either never upgrade hardware (oops - one day it will go end of life) or I upgrade hardware and move backwards...

But in long term, we cannot say if something similar - or something BETTER will be there (yet).

If the new 'base' offers similar options down the road but much better (And perhaps, easier) the whole discussion on 'porting' is moot.

One thing seems clear - you won't be porting the old apps. The rest, we're talking things that are unclear, that we're lacking anything resembling proper info for.

My advise? If you've invested heavily in apps - don't get the new screens yet. Too many unknowns.

How many third party apps did iOS 1 have?  Give it a chance!

While being a fan of Control4, I really want to agree with you, I think that the comparison to iOS1 is flawed... Firstly this is OS2.7 (loads of iterations past its genesis) and secondly (as Cy would point out, the issue is the Touchscreen not the operating system).

Sticking with your example of an apple operating system and expanding it to include hardware so that I cover all bases... Apple releases a new iPad every year (occasionally more often) and this is usually concurrent with a new iOS. I have hundreds of third party iOS apps... All of them are updated within a few weeks of the Apple release and work on the new hardware and software. Most of them work the very next day.

How does Apple do this? Communication and cooperation between the development community and Apple... So the question is does the same exist at Control4? The answer to this (given by various people over a number of threads this last week) seems ambiguous... 'Yes' and 'we don't know how we will integrate with OS2.7 on the new touchscreens because there is no API yet'. That ambiguity is fuelling (and should fuel) concern...

Despite the above, I am confident that the new OS and Touchscreens will be much better and we will have great apps in the future and while I will no longer buy new Touchscreens immediately, the programming world will catch up and I will be a buyer of the new TS in a few months :-). Long live C4!

All of them are updated within a few weeks of the Apple release and work on the new hardware and software. Most of them work the very next day.

Apart from not being accurate (there's  plenty of apps that never get updated) - the comparison is flawed - the touchscreens are getting a NEW OS, not an UPDATED OS.

View this more as moving from apple to android, or better jet from PALM to Android - Sure Android launched with more apps, but compare the realtive market and developer pool size.

Cy makes a good point and I should have said all 'decent' apps get updated :-) - judgemental, I know!

As for moving from Apple to Android... I am not sure that is a fair comparison... That is a choice to change from one supplier to another (Apple to, say, HTC) whereas I have chosen Control4 and don't want to change supplier!

Well one can hope it is a revolutionary improvement and we will all be happy

Just guessing, but it appears you have already made up your mind that you aren't gonna be happy based on the release app selection.  

Just guessing, but it appears you have already made up your mind that you aren't gonna be happy based on the release app selection.

Nope... I won't buy the new TS just yet but I will in 6 months (or a year) if the operating system combined with the TS allows me the flexibility I need. And if it does then I will continue to be a major Control4 fan... In the meantime, the same can be said as long as the current Touchscreens don't go end of life :-)

My slightly jaundiced view is purely due to having spent a couple of days (in January 2015) programming the StartHere! app and having been blown away with what I now have in terms of control for things I want (irrigation, alarm modes, heat pumps, backlight colours - all controlled in one convenient place with feedback using StartHere!).

My fear is that at some stage I will have to choose between being left behind and foregoing the convenience I now have...

But never fear, if I bought another house, Control4 would, again, be my HA system of choice :-)

Nope... I won't buy the new TS just yet but I will in 6 months (or a year) if the operating system combined with the TS allows me the flexibility I need. And if it does then I will continue to be a major Control4 fan... In the meantime, the same can be said as long as the current Touchscreens don't go end of life :-)

My slightly jaundiced view is purely due to having spent a couple of days (in January 2015) programming the StartHere! app and having been blown away with what I now have in terms of control for things I want (irrigation, alarm modes, heat pumps, backlight colours - all controlled in one convenient place with feedback using StartHere!).

My fear is that at some stage I will have to choose between being left behind and foregoing the convenience I now have...

But never fear, if I bought another house, Control4 would, again, be my HA system of choice :-)

I think you are making a good decision.  Give the Android touchscreens a chance to mature before jumping in.  I do believe they will be better than the current crop. Just will take some time.

I think you are making a good decision.  Give the Android touchscreens a chance to mature before jumping in.  I do believe they will be better than the current crop. Just will take some time.

Thanks! You would be right in guessing that I am the impatient type and want everything now... So I may even buy one of the new Touchscreens to play with while using the old ones for the house :-)

Archived