C4 Forums | Control4

Shairbridge

oldtex

Anyone have pdf or kb on more info seems like was just touched on during stream.

Is it mainly for wireless music bridge? (Which we have been avoiding) or does it allow you to AirPlay to 250/800? Finds music on your phone?

Thabks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now with a 800 and wmb you can AirPlay what all from inside the app? The stream mentioned you didn't have to use other apps now so to me would seem like you can select songs and what not from c4 app to play to system ? I'll just check it out when get to shop

Shairbridge allows you to stream AirPlay sources from an Apple music device to the Control4 Shairbridge driver allowing you to play music from your HC-800 Control4 Controller.

Shairbridge will work similar to other streaming service drivers like TuneIn or Rhapsody. The audio will be output from any bound controller. 

It does require OS 2.8.0 and your Apple device (an iOS device running iOS 8.0 or later or other devices running iTunes 12 or later) is compatible with AirPlay.

I hope this helps.

Matt

But it has to be added to my project via my dealer right ?

Cause he updated me last night but I'm not seeing Pandora or the shearbridge feature!! And I'm running an hc800

For sure pandora it is a driver that has to be added

But it has to be added to my project via my dealer right ?

Cause he updated me last night but I'm not seeing Pandora or the shearbridge feature!! And I'm running an hc800

yes, its a new driver that must be added to the project.  

Yea I think the dealer needs to drop in the new drivers.

Also, if I have 2 WMB, is there any advantage/disadvantage to replacing them with the sharebridge ?

If you have a WMB, (or 2), there is no reason to do anything.  but if you didn't have a WMB and you had an 800, this is good. 

I can already AirPlay via Apple devices (Airport Express, I think). So have 2 AirPlay channels on my system already. I assume that for me Shairbridge is thus redundant?

Sharebridge will give you a better user experience than an Airport express. There are features like being able to have a room automatically turn on when you airplay to it. You can also play pause and get meta data from the control4 UI(which is apparently broken in iOS9 at the moment) And a more user friendly volume control experience over the airport express. I would say anyone using a HC800 with airport express should switch over to this method.

I can already AirPlay via Apple devices (Airport Express, I think). So have 2 AirPlay channels on my system already. I assume that for me Shairbridge is thus redundant?

with your airport expresses you don't get meta data and you don't get auto play in rooms.  So it isn't redundant per say

Sounds good. I assume that the fact I have two HC800s means I can have 2 instances of this. Important as I have 2 daughters who are always air playing something different...

I believe so. But I am not 100% sure yet. Haven't played with it

Even with one HC800 you can have several instances of shairbridge.

That's the beauty of it - add a driver per room, program to auto turn on that room - and all you do is airplay........

Another advantage is that you can have as many airplay streams at one time as you have controller audio outputs.....

Of course you may find limitations in how many streams the controller can handle smoothly - or your network handles smoothly

The release notes say you should not use more than 8 instances of the ShairBridge driver. Who knows how well that recommendation holds up in the real world on an average-quality network. I would guess that would tax a well-designed network.

Of course, the number of concurrent audio streams is limited by the available audio outputs. But if you had 6 instances of the driver, and just 2 audio outs connected, you could set those 6 up as auto-room-turn on for 6 different rooms, but only 2 rooms could be active at once. Makes for a seamless experience. Start audio, airplay it, and Control4 does the rest.

So what is the process for this? If I want to play music from my phone to my system. I airplay from within the c4 app to the 800 then switch over to the music app?

In the keynote they were talking about using one app.

Two options - you select the shairplay driver in the room you want - then go to your desired music app, play and use airplay.

Or - set uf the driver/programming to auto - change the room to the shairbridge on sensing a stream, and use your desired app for music, select airplay and there you go.

you can change the director in your system... unless some reason you cant

I have an HC-250 purchased new with the licenses.  I then purchased an HC-800 second hand without knowing that the licenses wouldn't swap over.  So if I move the Director to the HC-800 I lose the My Home license.  

Archived