C4 Forums | Control4

Its 2016. Why isnt C4's interface in 1080p yet?

Relliom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it'll look much classier. We ditched 720p years ago and are now well into 4k territory. Even if you dont gain much in the way of usability, C4 is a premium product and even cheap products these days have 1080p. 

I literally LOLed at this when I also saw the tablet is only 720p. Come on C4 time to up your game 

Control4 T3 Series 7" Tabletop Touch Screen (C4-TT7-1-BL, C4-TT7-1-WH, C4-TT7-1-RD)

The Control4® T3 Series Tabletop Touch Screen delivers always-on, dedicated, and mobile control over all the technology in your home or business. Featuring a gorgeous new tablet design and stunning high-resolution graphics, this portable screen looks beautiful whether on a kitchen countertop or in the theater on your lap. This model includes HD video intercom and crystal-clear audio intercom for convenient communications from room to room or with visitors at the door.

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I don't think you gain anything in terms of usability. Personally I rather have new proxies and new drivers 

its not a zero-sum game imho. why cant you have both? especially something that has been the norm for years

20 minutes ago, Relliom said:

its not a zero-sum game imho. why cant you have both? especially something that has been the norm for years

Cause every development activity takes time and money. Control4 has to spend time and money on what they think is most important 

i consider myself picky, but 1080p isn't near the top of the list of things i want my system to do, and my entire systems is 4k as well (not that many media sources are, but i'm ready). i'd rather c4 develop cool products like door stations that can tie into my NVR, native deezer drivers, and other things that have been coming out recently. 

59 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Cause every development activity takes time and money. Control4 has to spend time and money on what they think is most important 

In addition - higher rez tablet screens are going to cost more, thus the tablet would cost more.

The benefit on a 7 or 10 inch screen that is largely a display of static images would be extremely minimal.

GUI might be a different matter as it could easily be viewed on 60" and up screens - but that would involve new controllers as it would be based on it's graphics card more than anything else - remember that the current lineup has been out for years

On 1/16/2016 at 0:29 AM, msgreenf said:

think of it this way, even the cheapest tablet making companies are way past 720p. Look at cheap chinese brands like Xiaomi. Much less premium product vendors like C4. I dont think there is any excuse for going cheap on users imho. 

On 1/16/2016 at 1:31 AM, Cyknight said:

In addition - higher rez tablet screens are going to cost more, thus the tablet would cost more.

The benefit on a 7 or 10 inch screen that is largely a display of static images would be extremely minimal.

GUI might be a different matter as it could easily be viewed on 60" and up screens - but that would involve new controllers as it would be based on it's graphics card more than anything else - remember that the current lineup has been out for years

even the cheapest of tablets that are sub-$100 can have a 1080p screen. Why not a C4 tablet that costs nearly 700-1000? 

Even Ipads have left them far into the dust. 

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

My point on the controller lineup being out for years was intended to mean it was well before 4K and when there were still non 1080p displays being sold in all stores.

Lets take the HC250 which came out in 2012, is it really that long ago? Because I do recall almost all tvs being 1080p capable after 2009-2010. In fact, today 1080p tvs are a dying breed and manufacturers arent really producing them anymore

1 hour ago, Relliom said:

think of it this way, even the cheapest tablet making companies are way past 720p. Look at cheap chinese brands like Xiaomi. Much less premium product vendors like C4. I dont think there is any excuse for going cheap on users imho. 

Except that you are forgetting two things - apart from the fact that not all tablets are 1080p (equivalent) or over - what is out now has no bearing on what was out when the T3's came out - and they aren't intended to compete with them directly.

1 hour ago, Relliom said:

Lets take the HC250 which came out in 2012, is it really that long ago? Because I do recall almost all tvs being 1080p capable after 2009-2010. In fact, today 1080p tvs are a dying breed and manufacturers arent really producing them anymore

2012 about 30% of the lineup was 720p - 720p TVs were sold up until 2014, early 2015 if you want to include the refurb. Oh and 65" was the 'big beast' in 2012 going for around 6K dollars in the US. Later in the year we saw some 75" TVs 'hit' the shelf at near 5 digit pricing.

You're forgetting that the controllers are set at their resolution - so going 1080p would drop 30% of NEW TVs, and a lot more on existing TVs people may have.

Again we're talking about a device that is largely a static image here - not the latest action movies. The limited benefit still stands.

And yes, that's 4 years ago - a LONG time in terms of TVs.

On 1/18/2016 at 0:52 PM, Cyknight said:

2012 about 30% of the lineup was 720p - 720p TVs were sold up until 2014, early 2015 if you want to include the refurb. Oh and 65" was the 'big beast' in 2012 going for around 6K dollars in the US. Later in the year we saw some 75" TVs 'hit' the shelf at near 5 digit pricing.

You're forgetting that the controllers are set at their resolution - so going 1080p would drop 30% of NEW TVs, and a lot more on existing TVs people may have.

Again we're talking about a device that is largely a static image here - not the latest action movies. The limited benefit still stands.

And yes, that's 4 years ago - a LONG time in terms of TVs.

Hi Cyknight,

May I please know the source of the statistics quoted above regarding 1080p adoption in tvs? I am curious as to how you derived this. 

Additionally, I would like to dispute the relevance of your claim that 720p tvs were sold up to 2014. Indeed, DVDs are being sold even to this day but have they been anymore relevant in the past 10 years?

Instead, we should consider what is and has become mainstream. It is in this regard that I assert that 1080p tvs have been mainstream since 2009 (granted there were some HD ready 1080i models as oppposed to Full HD models entirely then). Personally, I bought a Samsung flagship 55" 1080p UA55ES8000 in 2012 at around 3.5k-4k and I recall very well that 1080p was extremely prevalent and common even then.

Even if for a second, we assume your argument to be true, that in 2012 at the time of launch for the controllers 1080p was not mainstream, what gives as to the lack of an update today? Your assertion of a fixed resolution is entirely fallacious seeing how TVs and boxes all have dynamic resolutions. Take for example an Nvidia Shield Android TV that runs natively at 4k. In the presence of a 1080p tv, it merely outputs at 1080p instead. 

As an IT professional, I see no technical constraint hardware-wise regarding to push up to a rudimentary 1080p. This is not 4k where we require HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0 at 4:4:4 chroma. 

Finally, regarding the merit of a higher resolution display, I beg to differ as you can clearly see the difference in UI quality betwen 4k and 1080p on a static image even, much less 720p vs 1080p. 

Control4 should stop advertising its claimed "high-resolution tablets or interface" when its clearly sub-par and misleading today. 

On 1/18/2016 at 0:44 PM, Cyknight said:

Except that you are forgetting two things - apart from the fact that not all tablets are 1080p (equivalent) or over - what is out now has no bearing on what was out when the T3's came out - and they aren't intended to compete with them directly.

Nearly all tablets (phones even) are 1080p if not higher in today's world. In fact, if you look at laptop screens and tablets especially android variants, you will notice that the trend is towards 1440p if not 4k on mobile devices today. 

Again, this is for the mainstream and not the niche high-end market. As previously mentioned, C4 is a premium system and should similarly aspire to stay relevant in today's world. 

I reiterate that the advertising is misleading in today's context

3 hours ago, Relliom said:

Nearly all tablets (phones even) are 1080p if not higher in today's world. In fact, if you look at laptop screens and tablets especially android variants, you will notice that the trend is towards 1440p if not 4k on mobile devices today. 

Again, this is for the mainstream and not the niche high-end market. As previously mentioned, C4 is a premium system and should similarly aspire to stay relevant in today's world. 

I reiterate that the advertising is misleading in today's context

Nearly all (and that's not entirely accurate) is not the same as ALL ;)

Plus, it's great that these displays have high resolutions, but the content they display isn't. 'Retina' is about having pixel density smaller than the eye can perceive - not about resolution. Take that same pixel density to a larger screen, and by default you get a higher resolution - resolution gain on these devices is a side effect, not a goal.

While I'm not in complete disagreement - the fact stands that there is little function to be higher than they are now. It's all still images on there.

When it comes to the touchscreens - it isn't 'high time' for an update - they've only been out for a year, this is not 'gadget mania' like getting the newest iOS/Andoid devices - it's not that type of market. Mayor updates to hardware will not occur until there is need to support new functions, something that is done only incrementally - or everyone here (rightfully) would be complaining about constantly having to update all their hardware.

From a system perspective, there needs to be a balance between constant updates and longevity of devices. You may believe that balance needs to be at one end, others would rather still use their Media Controllers as their main unit. As is so often the case, that balance will end up somewhere in the middle - and won't please everyone.

11 hours ago, Relliom said:

I would like to dispute the relevance of your claim that 720p tvs were sold up to 2014.

They are still being sold today.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-24-class-23-5-8-diag--led-720p-hdtv-black/8451121.p?id=1219336312946&skuId=8451121

And that's a SAMSUNG, not a chinese knockoff. At Best Buy, not JimBobsWarehouse.com.

The point is that the UI gains next to nothing from going to 1080p, but it could potentially lose compatibility. The UI is a set of static images-custom designed for the video output that exists today. There is almost no user experience gain from going to 1080p. Will it happen someday? I'm sure it will. 

Oh, and the advertising is not misleading in today's market. The market in question is not iPads and Galaxys. The market in question is home automation, and the T3 screens absolutely have nice, high-resolution displays compared to their predecessors.

59 minutes ago, jwhitaker@revit said:

New controllers? Interesting. 3.0? I dunno, but then again I am not really concerned with a higher res navigator that will take up more of my needed memory etc. I can't tell you the last time I actually used the onscreen. 2 years? 3 years?

I use it daily - and it wasn't on my radar.

Archived