C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Expands Presence in Australia to Directly Grow and Support Network of Authorized Dealers

alanchow

Theres something wrong with this statement 

“Australia is one of the most internet-connected countries in the world, behind only North America and Europe. Naturally, this connectedness leads to increased demand and opportunity for smart home solutions,” explained Martin Plaehn, Chairman and CEO of Control4. “We believe our expanded presence in Australia will provide improved support for local Control4 dealers, result in faster adoption by new customers, and yield greater customer satisfaction.”

I live in the capital city and the internet is utter shite. They still have ADSL and data caps across the country. Our NBN is also not widespread.

Whereas developed neighbouring countries like Singapore have routine 1Gbps or 10Gbps internet even. 

Singapore population: 5.4M.

Australia population: 23M.

I suspect he means that Australia has the NBN, which continues to grow (and which the US has nothing to compare to)...

It's not widespread now, but it certainly drives some technology adoption.

RyanE

8 hours ago, Relliom said:

Theres something wrong with this statement 

“Australia is one of the most internet-connected countries in the world, behind only North America and Europe. Naturally, this connectedness leads to increased demand and opportunity for smart home solutions,” explained Martin Plaehn, Chairman and CEO of Control4. “We believe our expanded presence in Australia will provide improved support for local Control4 dealers, result in faster adoption by new customers, and yield greater customer satisfaction.”

I live in the capital city and the internet is utter shite. They still have ADSL and data caps across the country. Our NBN is also not widespread.

Whereas developed neighbouring countries like Singapore have routine 1Gbps or 10Gbps internet even. 

It's CONNECTED countries - this speaks of % numbers of people that HAVE internet - nothing to do with speed. In this regard, Australia is in the 80%+ percentile, comparable to the US, Canada and some European countries (many 'north-western' European countries actually range in the 90%+).

Singapore, to keep your comparison point is in the 70%+ range.

Considering the relative density of population - Australia would rank quite high in that regard.

Even connection speed, less that 10 countries top 15Mbps on average - Singapore is NOT one of them, and neither is the US.

In short - there's nothing 'wrong' with the statement at all.

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

It's CONNECTED countries - this speaks of % numbers of people that HAVE internet - nothing to do with speed. In this regard, Australia is in the 80%+ percentile, comparable to the US, Canada and some European countries (many 'north-western' European countries actually range in the 90%+).

Singapore, to keep your comparison point is in the 70%+ range.

Considering the relative density of population - Australia would rank quite high in that regard.

Even connection speed, less that 10 countries top 15Mbps on average - Singapore is NOT one of them, and neither is the US.

In short - there's nothing 'wrong' with the statement at all.

Im not sure how you got 70+% when the government statistics show otherwise (https://www.ida.gov.sg/Tech-Scene-News/Facts-and-Figures)

Also, internet penetration is not as important as its quality of service. I can tell you first-hand that Aussie internet sucks bad. It's a joke really

9 hours ago, RyanE said:

Singapore population: 5.4M.

Australia population: 23M.

I suspect he means that Australia has the NBN, which continues to grow (and which the US has nothing to compare to)...

It's not widespread now, but it certainly drives some technology adoption.

RyanE

NBN is another fiasco. They have only deployed it in the far out suburbs whereas even in the city CBD, you often cant get NBN. Im getting 100mbps fibre but even so its too slow to stream netflix 4k. 

2 minutes ago, Relliom said:

NBN is another fiasco. They have only deployed it in the far out suburbs whereas even in the city CBD, you often cant get NBN. Im getting 100mbps fibre but even so its too slow to stream netflix 4k. 

So you're saying, Government Business as usual?

:)

RyanE

3 hours ago, Relliom said:

Im not sure how you got 70+% when the government statistics show otherwise (https://www.ida.gov.sg/Tech-Scene-News/Facts-and-Figures)

Also, internet penetration is not as important as its quality of service. I can tell you first-hand that Aussie internet sucks bad. It's a joke really

PEOPLE vs HOUSEHOLDS. How many of those households that DON'T have internet access are likely filled with larger/multiple families? Add to that that one source is an amalgamation of several sources, the another is one country's government.

And you would be sorely mistaken if you think internet penetration is less important than speed.

I'm not in Australia, nor can I speak for your personal experience, but statistically it's worse than many other 'western' countries and several Asian markets, but you're not far off from some others, such as New Zealand and France. Yes, you're at half the average speed of the top few, less than 50% lower than, to use one big example, the US.

Don't mix up some of the stats published by companies like Google that does 1Gbps services - first off, it's questionable if it actually reaches that - and it covers an exceedingly small percentage of people.

Im getting 100mbps fibre but even so its too slow to stream netflix 4k

You should only need about 25Mbps to do 4K streaming - so either you're not getting near the speed you think, or something else is going on. Like I said - I think you overestimate how many people across the world would be able to handle 4K streaming - In countries like the US, UK and Germany that number will be below 20%, even in 'top tier' countries that number will lie below 30%.

I'm not saying Australia is 'good' by any means (indeed the step from most of north America and Europe is considerable) - I'm primarily pointing out that 'the rest' may not be where you think they are. The grass always looks greener on the other side.

Besides, as you quoted yourself, we're talking about Australia being 'after North America and Europe' - add a few Asian powerhouses (South Korea, Japan and a few nearly city states like Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong) and Israel: it's still quite correct - Australia still 'beats out' most of Asia, virtually all of Africa (Israel and Turkey being the exceptions) and all of South America (and a few European countries at that). All in all, the statement is still correct in and of itself.

Add the Kiwi's in the average for the 'region' and you actually bring up your stats a hair to boot ;)

Archived