C4 Forums | Control4

LG TV IP Driver - Released

annex⁴

35 minutes ago, ecschnei said:

Not for toast messages.  I know there is a web browser integrated into the LG Web OS so I didn't know if a specific web address could be input and showed in a PIP or just change the screen and flip back to original programming after a set time.  Just a thought since C4 won't let you, to my knowledge, switch to a live view of a camera in response to a triggered event and then return to previous input.  I heard that was removed in one of the latest releases.

I could be wrong. It I believe you can accomplish this with the snapshot driver. 

Snapshot driver just takes a "snapshot" of the room that you're programming against.  For example, if you were watching a cable box in the living room, the snapshot driver would record that your tv was powered on to input 1, your AVR was powered on, volume at 55 and set to cable input.  Then you can do programming that would change these settings.

After that programming was run, then you would recall the snapshot, this would return your living room to watching cable at volume 55.

Control4 controllers do not do video distribution of any kind.  The only available video is the Onscreen GUI and within that, you can view IP cameras.

3 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Snapshot driver just takes a "snapshot" of the room that you're programming against.  For example, if you were watching a cable box in the living room, the snapshot driver would record that your tv was powered on to input 1, your AVR was powered on, volume at 55 and set to cable input.  Then you can do programming that would change these settings.

After that programming was run, then you would recall the snapshot, this would return your living room to watching cable at volume 55.

Control4 controllers do not do video distribution of any kind.  The only available video is the Onscreen GUI and within that, you can view IP cameras.

That would be very helpful but I haven't found a way to direct the GUI to pull the front door camera up from the security tab in the gui interface.  If there is a way to do that then I can reset back using the snapshot driver once a timer finished and my wife could see who was at the door.  My scenario is front door camera detects motion.  c4 announcement that someone is at door.  then Living room tv shows front door camera live feed so she can walk by it on her way to door. then return tv to previous state.  The camera is an Hikvision and it is also loaded into blue iris which I have a driver for...so.....let the brainstorming begin!

You'd have to create a macro to do that.  Under Room level, commands>Control4 (brings up onscreen), then you'd have to use up, down, left, right buttons to navigate where you need to go.

The problem this creates is that the onscreen cursor doesn't always start from the same spot.  So this will involve a good deal of trial and error.  Personally, I don't like this one bit.

One solution, buy a PC stick (~$80-100) and set it to never shutoff and turn on when power is restored.  Then setup IE with a bookmark to the camera webpage.

Many ways to skin this cat, but really comes down to what you have installed.  I mean, I'm sure you could use your PC output that runs BlueIris.  However, not sure if you can program to jump to specific cameras.  Never used Blue Iris before. 

1 minute ago, lippavisual said:

You'd have to create a macro to do that.  Under Room level, commands>Control4 (brings up onscreen), then you'd have to use up, down, left, right buttons to navigate where you need to go.

The problem this creates is that the onscreen cursor doesn't always start from the same spot.  So this will involve a good deal of trial and error.  Personally, I don't like this one bit.

One solution, buy a PC stick (~$80-100) and set it to never shutoff and turn on when power is restored.  Then setup IE with a bookmark to the camera webpage.

Many ways to skin this cat, but really comes down to what you have installed.  I mean, I'm sure you could use your PC output that runs BlueIris.  However, not sure if you can program to jump to specific cameras.  Never used Blue Iris before. 

i have found that press the control4 button twice once to start and a second time will reset the cursor to a default location

3 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

i have found that press the control4 button twice once to start and a second time will reset the cursor to a default location

Good to know, thanks.  Still ridiculous that this is how it needs to be done.

Hoping we will finally have interface/GUI control coming in September,

4 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Good to know, thanks.  Still ridiculous that this is how it needs to be done.

Hoping we will finally have interface/GUI control coming in September,

Not the way it is intended. As far as i know we have barely even scratched the surface of what the android platform will have to offer.

For macro on the onscreen, pressing left multiple times always lands on desired security icon. Regardless of cursor position.

C4 -> left -> left-> left-> select -> then moves needed to select the desired camera. No delays needed for the first moves. Almost instant.

Good luck.

Happy Automating!!

5 hours ago, VINCELdUB said:

Also, do you have the LG tv with web driver?
@Annex, could we not just launch smart Tv browser and a bookmarked page? Hik cam should have a mjpeg stream.

Happy Automating!!

That's what I was asking but you were definitely more clear in your phrasing.  Thanks VINCELdUB

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2016 at 11:40 AM, annex⁴ said:

Reminder

50% off ends December 25 and will NOT be extended.

The positive feedback for the driver has been awesome.  We are in the process of putting some things in place to expedite the approval of new accounts.

We might even have some new enhancements to the driver before the end of the year.

Black Friday sale maybe? ;););)

On 8/23/2017 at 6:05 AM, TheWizard said:

There is a way to launch a browser to a specific URI, I'll look into adding a programming command for it.

TheWizard,

Have you released the next version yet?  I'd be very interested in you LG driver if I had some of the options listed here.

Thank you Sir,

Eric

• 1 month later...

This has been frustrating...

Apparently LG decided to remove the ability to "wake on lan" (the method used to power on the TV) for wired connections, and it only works for wireless.  This forced me to move all my TVs to a WiFi network when I wanted them wired.  

Now, for some reason, my LG TVs have been disassociating from my WiFi network after a couple minutes on Standby.  This isn't Annex4's fault (the LG iOS app can't find them either) but it's something between my Meraki network gear and the LG TVs. My dealer installed a basic, consumer-grade WAP just for the TVs and it worked fine.  I'm still looking for a "real" solution, but I'm pretty angry at LG for neutering their WebOS installation like this.

If your TVs are properly setup with static IPs the traffic should traverse the switch and have nothing to do with the router.  LG hasn't removed WOL, the setting on the new TVs states WOL over wireless, but enabling does both.

It think you should talk to your dealer about some proper troubleshooting and see what has changed.

Just now, THEORY said:

If your TVs are properly setup with static IPs the traffic should traverse the switch and have nothing to do with the router.  LG hasn't removed WOL, the setting on the new TVs states WOL over wireless.

It think you should talk to your dealer about some proper troubleshooting and see what has changed.

So here's all the skinny...

My dealer had trouble with powering on the TVs via the network from the first moment he/we tried. All TVs are on static IPs. All TVs were originally wired. We saw the "Turn on your TV via WiFi" (I forget the exact wording) menu option, and hoped WoL was still working on wired connections and crossed our fingers. Very inconsistent results.

The following I did not witness, but was reported to me by my dealer:

• Dealer contacted Annex4.
  • Annex4 told dealer that WoL wired didn't work in latest WebOS and that WoWiFi was now the only option. This was due to change on LG side.
  • Annex4 gave dealer an unreleased beta/testing build of the driver to try to work around.
  • New version of driver still would not turn on TVs.

Dealer asked me what I wanted to do. I told dealer to reconfigure with TVs on WiFi.  Dealer did.  New static IPs reserved and configured in C4.

TVs will power cycle just fine all day long until the TV has been powered off for more than 5 minutes.

Dealer thought to himself, wonder if my customer's network is causing the problem. Dealer installed consumer-grade wifi access point/router, set up new SSID for TVs, connected WAP to my network and reconfigured IP addresses in C4.

TVs worked perfectly!

Then I started digging in my network.  I find that the TVs are dropping off WiFi after almost exactly 5 minutes of being powered off. Logs from network:

Jan 19 23:09:30 Upstairs Hall NickelWOO-TV Study TV 802.11 disassociation unknown reason
Jan 19 23:09:30 Upstairs Hall NickelWOO-TV Study TV WPA deauthentication radio: 1, vap: 2, client_mac: 48:8D:36:D8:DF:BF  more »
Jan 19 23:04:18 Upstairs Hall NickelWOO-TV Study TV WPA authentication  
Jan 19 23:04:18 Upstairs Hall NickelWOO-TV Study TV WPA deauthentication radio: 1, vap: 2, client_mac: 48:8D:36:D8:DF:BF  more »

There's a ton of these in the lua logs whenever a TV has been off for more than 5 minutes...

[ Trace ] [01/20/18 00:54:18] [0007] [ String ]: Connection.OnConnectionStatusChanged[6001:3000]: OFFLINE
[ Trace ] [01/20/18 00:54:18] [0008] [ String ]: WebOS.offline:WebOS[6001 - 10.168.0.28:3000]
[ Trace ] [01/20/18 00:54:18] [0009] [ String ]: TCPConnection.offline: WebOS[6001 - 10.168.0.28:3000]
[ Trace ] [01/20/18 00:54:18] [0010] [ String ]: Connection.offline: WebOS[6001 - 10.168.0.28:3000]
[ Debug ] [01/20/18 00:54:23] [0012] [ Number ]: 1:6001
[ Trace ] [01/20/18 00:54:23] [0011] [ String ]: OnConnectionStatusChanged
[ Debug ] [01/20/18 00:54:23] [0013] [ Number ]: 2:3000
[ Debug ] [01/20/18 00:54:23] [0014] [ String ]: 3:OFFLINE
[ Debug ] [01/20/18 00:54:23] [0015] [ Number ]: n:3

I have a case open with Cisco to see what Voodoo their WAP is doing - it's nothing at all to do with the router (I never suggested it was).  This is because the TVs are dropping off my WiFi network - they are leaving the wireless access point.  I'm 99% sure it's something Meraki is doing to boot them off. It's NOT Annex4's fault - since the LG app can't see the TV's either I don't expect Annex4 or C4 to be able to.

My dealer is awesome, but as the network is my responsibility he has left it up to me to work on a solution.  Currently waiting for Cisco/Meraki to look at the case.

However - if WIRED is still an option I'd prefer to go that route.  Curious why my dealer was told by Annex4 that WiFi was the only way the driver would work on latest WebOS.

I've PMed TheWizard and am awaiting a reply.

TLDR: WebOS and Meraki are not playing nice. Was told wired not an option due to LG changing WebOS.

I can guarantee annex4 has never told any dealer that LG has removed WOL for wired connections.  I can't speak to the rest of your network.

The TV itself and the LG app would talk over WiFi if there are issues with how things are setup the WAP could be not letting LG App discover the TVs.  If your Control4 Controller running director and the TVs are hardwired on the same switch and you can't turn them on with a WOL packet then there is something going on at the switch.

In your whole description you mention the router and the WAP but not what switch you have.  With the number of installs that are currently working and the fact we have heard about no failures after the fact on any installation except yours.  There is something in your network causing you issues.  I would swap out pieces and see which one makes everything start working.

Connect a TV and the controller to just the switch and see if you can get WOL to work.  Keep adding pieces and see what causes things to stop working.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.