C4 Forums | Control4

Advice for House setup with C4

Re WiFi, I wish I could do better re channel assignments.  Is there an easy way to determine the channel the EA3 is using?  It picks an low-use 2.4 GHz channel for zigbee just once, at init time, correct?  I should be able to see it in Composer HE, but where?  I can't stop Xfinity from using 2.4 GHz for WiFi.  Well maybe I can, have to look at Xfinity settings, I think I saw some web chatter about turning this off.  Even though the main house WAP uses 5 GHz, some other things around the house use 2.4 GHz so I would like to think hard about channels.  Any advice?  Besides "don't use the microwave", since my wife and I are both crummy cooks we depend on that to make something quick after a disaster in the new kitchen which had appliances installed that are beyond our skill level!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Click on system design>very top of the project tree on the left (Maybe customer name?)>Zigbee configuration in the center section> Edit zigbee configuration in blue and that will show the channel used.

For wifi, try using channels 1-6 for 2.4Ghz leaving 11 free for zigbee which correlates to zigbee channels 20-25

5 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

I think he is in a town-home so might want to do a wifi channel scan even just with his phone to do a site survey due to noise from neighbors homes that arent in the current equation just to be thorough 

Channel 25 on Zigbee is outside the WiFi 2.4Ghz no matter what...

Great info, thanks all so much for the help.  And the HE tips.  Channel 25, got it!  Indeed, it's an attached town home, and very near the clubhouse, so the scan shows a mind-boggling array of WiFi networks.

Channel 25 is the best option where there's any WiFi.

That is what Control4 sets devices to when we go to CEDIA, where there are 200+ WiFi access points available in range of the Control4 booth.

And we can still demo ZigBee.  Any other channel, the ZigBee gets swamped by the WiFi.

It's a worst-case scenario (at least, since Control4 stopped showing at CES, where there were even *more* WiFi APs...)

:)

RyanE

4 hours ago, knowitall said:

I'd put aprocessor on wifi before run data thru a balun

To each his own. I've stressed tested Leaf/Control4 on this to some pretty extreme circumstances/setup in my own place just to see how far I could push it. And it was flawless.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

To each his own. I've stressed tested Leaf/Control4 on this to some pretty extreme circumstances/setup in my own place just to see how far I could push it. And it was flawless.

Good to know. Those leaf baluns run so hot tho they burn themselves up

1 hour ago, knowitall said:

Good to know. Those leaf baluns run so hot tho they burn themselves up

They run very hot - true, which is noted on the device (or a sticker). That said, I've never had one actually burn out. Being as small of a form factor as they are, it's not really that surprising that they run hot I suppose.

As I have a moment - here's some of the setups I did to stress test. Note that I do NOT recommend you actually implement this!

-Running a controller, a Roku and a game console over one (switch behind the balun) - set Roku to stream, starter a download on game console, set controller to stream audio

--unable to notice a drop in download speed over normal all full GB direct connections

-Run NAS off of one, two media players over another

--Nothing noticed after watching 10 full movies that way.

-Run my desktop computer over one, NAS over another.

--No decrease in upload speed to NAS from desktop, as in NAS write is the bottleneck in that connection. Download speed slightly lower - not surprising as that normally sits over 100Mb/s and rating is 100Mb/s - actual stable around 90.

-Feed EA5 port as the main in to the switch - then run the above.

--Much to my surprise - no different.

-Feed Main system from the HDMI switch, ie main controller, plus the first two setups above, plus all three APs. Then lived with that for over a month.

--Nothing to report - it all worked perfectly fine.

Again - I'm not recommending you do the above at all, even if - much to my own surprise - I really couldn't notice a difference (and believe me I was looking for one, something, anything by the end of it). This was intended as an extreme case test only and yes I moved it all back to normal again after.

On 1/29/2017 at 2:11 PM, Maverick712 said:

Katy, Texas

Ah, there is the problem.  Katy is a suburb of Houston.  I got numerous quotes from the pinnacle and gold installers in Houston and was not impressed with any.  OP, good luck!! 

Archived