C4 Forums | Control4

Login Error: License is Required error 403.15

Hello All,

I was bold to do part one of an install at a clients home to get the cable working through an EA-3 controller and an 8x8 matrix. So you know the deal, I registered the main controller, verified the emails, updated the system to the latest 2.9.1, yada yada. I've done this like 30 times before this install. So the remotes were working great then I go to the app on the phone to walk the customer through and then poof, I get this error: 

Login Error

A license is required to connect this device to your system.

Please contact your Control4 dealer to obtain a license.

To transfer a license to a new device, please login to customer.control4.com to remove a license from an existing device. (403.15)

Logged into the dealer side and the customer side and everything checked out just fine. Then unregistered the controller, re-registered the controller did a few reboots, same same thing. Very frustrated since now the customer can't use their app that I promised to have working because registering a controller and having the app work is the SIMPLEST part of the job here.  Any suggestions? 

I'm planning to call support tomorrow (Monday) to get to the bottom of this, but would love to see if you all had any pointers or have run into this with the EA series controllers or something.

Thanks!

Login_error.jpg

58 minutes ago, poseidonsystems said:

Awesome, who's going to pay for my time that requires to re-visit the job site? That's what I'm struggling with here, back and forth because of faulty NEW equipment etc...

as stated tech can do this remotely it sucks for the inconvenience yes but is the price of doing business.  

I guess technically I don't have to go back but I still have to go back and make sure the phone/apps work in the SAME wifi. Fixing it remotely is great but I don't know about the rest of you but I like to test out everything before I call the customer and tell them "you're all set"! So yes, this requires another visit anyways. 

BTW, the customer has paid thousands for their system and to tell them that the product they paid for "came off the assembly line with no license" is not something I can say. My credibility and their systems credibility is reduced off the bat and they didn't even use the product yet. It's just the reality of things here.

8 hours ago, poseidonsystems said:

Moral of the story is don't install out of control4 support business hours? Come on.

Ha ha... some of us live on the other side of the world, so if my dealer won't install outside of US business hours, he will either work all night or have no business...

In my view, moral of the story is that in IT things don't always work first time ;)

2 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Ha ha... some of us live on the other side of the world, so if my dealer won't install outside of US business hours, he will either work all night or have no business...

In my view, moral of the story is that in IT things don't always work first time ;)

8 hours ago, poseidonsystems said:

So just got off chat with support and they confirmed that the controller came off the assembly line with NO LICENSE. Unbelievable. Moral of the story is don't install out of control4 support business hours? Come on.

C4_Snag.jpg

The real moral is Shit happens. This is the first time i ever heard of this happening and in 5 years only one controller has had this issue.

My dealer told me that my system would work within a week (initial install at my current home 3 or 4 years ago).  He finished in 2 days. I am sure the extra 3 days was his buffer in case of issues... as a customer I was very happy - he finished earlier than I expected...

New moral of the story: under promise and over deliver :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this same thing happen with a scavenged HC-800 I replaced then repaired to use for myself. I'm not sure if the app ever worked with it before, but now I'm getting the same 403.15 error.  When I called tech support a few months ago, they said there was nothing I could do.  Not even buying a 4Sight license would help.  Now, it seems tech support just needs to apply a new Home license in their own server database?  Is this all that needs to be done?  I hope so, because not being able to use a perfectly good controller to its full capability is very frustrating.  As far as I'm concerned the Home app is essential and makes a huge difference.

Archived