C4 Forums | Control4

Light won’t turn off

Breaker has been reset, no luck. It’s the old style switch. Not sure of model number, but pic attached.  LED Blue light goes up when press on , goes down when press off. Like normal.  See pic.  No recent changes. Tried multiple types of bulbs, no luck. Switch has been in probably 7-8 years. Many other switches/dimmers in the house with no other issues.  Pic of light fixture attached. Normal garage light fixture.

BA44D3B2-4905-4E86-A559-4B663EEDD049.jpeg

B614AA6F-D13A-4F90-A022-73F0F0DC8344.jpeg

320719BE-C082-4223-8D33-98FCDAA28AC9.jpeg

That’s a dimmer. It could be toast. 

I would try it using all incandescent bulbs in the fixtures. Making sure no led or compact fluorescent bulbs are installed on that dimmer. 

Also, if you grab the little tab where the top led is, it slides up. It’s an air gap switch. It’ll kill the lights, I’d do that when changing bulbs. 

I had this same thing happen a couple of months ago. I couldn’t figure out how to get the cover off of a track light and there was a short for a second. The dimmer no longer worked despite the switches/LEDs changing. Did you have any king of a short or surge or anything?

Yeah I have all incandescent bulbs in now. Thanks for the tab trick, 8 years and never knew that.  No surge that I know of. All other switches/dimmers are working.

Looking more like a bad dimmer. 

You guys are great trying to help me out. Thank you.

Sort of related.

My installer had brought what he thought was a switch for garage fluorescents but had a dimmer. He programmed it to work as (on/off) and have been wondering 

what issue awaits me. This post reminded me !

2 hours ago, prabeau said:

Sort of related.

My installer had brought what he thought was a switch for garage fluorescents but had a dimmer. He programmed it to work as (on/off) and have been wondering 

what issue awaits me. This post reminded me !

If it works now, there should be no real issue awaiting you unless you change the bulb to something non-dimmable that also does not work with the hack to make a dimmer behave as a switch. 

I have a bunch of flourescents on dimmers now.  Some of them were just slopping installations by my original dealer.  Others are instances where CFL bulbs were put in subsequent to the dimmer install.  But I am getting rid of all CFLs as I don't see much point in using them when LEDs are now reasonably priced.

Eh, I’m not sure I agree exactly. 

Having a non-dimmable ballast on a dimmmer, even just going 0%-100% could definitely speed wear on the dimmer. Or likely the ballasts themselves. Especially an older dimmer, as I’m not sure how well they handle the inrush currents.

That said, depending on use and the quality of ballasts, could work fine for years. I just wouldn’t be so keen to shrug it off with the price of a dimmer being what it is. 

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Sounds like the program isn't complete for off at sunrise?

Or a mix-up in am/pm if using a 'set' time. Or accidentally setting it to turn on 'again' instead of off. Or tracking issues, especially if using Lighting Scenes and non-C4 lighting. Or the original off schedule was set to non-repeating, or had an end-date.

Maybe post a snip/screenshot of the programming?

On 1/6/2018 at 7:12 PM, JArtman99 said:

I have a switch for the garage light that has worked for years. Now, the switch shows on and off in Control4, but the light bulbs will not turn off at all.  Any ideas? Thanks!

Dimmers and switches can sometimes 'bleed' a small amount of electricity through the dimmer/switch.  With incandescent bulbs it wasn't enough to turn on the loads but sometimes it's enough to power a LED bulb.  Might be one thing to look into.

2 hours ago, Jeff W said:

Dimmers and switches can sometimes 'bleed' a small amount of electricity through the dimmer/switch.  With incandescent bulbs it wasn't enough to turn on the loads but sometimes it's enough to power a LED bulb.  Might be one thing to look into.

Ahhh what wisdom 2 years after the quoted post 😉

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Ahhh what wisdom 2 years after the quoted post 😉

Lol... My bad... I just switched from the dealer forums here.  Saw the last couple of posts in the thread and wanted to help out.  I didn't realize the post was that old.  🙈.  I'm used to the dealer forums that were quite active.  I'll make sure to read the date on the first post next time hahaha.

Just want to help out the community 😃.  PS, nice to see a friendly face from the other forums here!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.