C4 Forums | Control4

Installed The New 8x16 No Hassle AV 4K Matrix

On 6/28/2018 at 7:41 PM, C4tune said:

I recently added a denon avr-1613 on top of my ViewHD 4x4 matrix, but now I’m having handshake/Edid problems. I’m hoping when I purchase the 4x4 from No Hassle AV I will be able to use the PC Edid manager to sort these issues. Has anyone beaten handshake problems? Did you reorder startup order? Should I just assume my old $170 matrix just can’t cut it and that no hassle will be no hassle? Ugh. Nothing like adding equipment and loosing capability... ugh... 

Dr HDMI solved all my EDID issues.

1 hour ago, mallom said:

By the way, the 2019 models now have HDMI loop out and Analog audio extraction:

8x8 HDMI 2.0 HDR 4K 18GBPS 60HZ Matrix Switcher Dolby Vision HDR10 YUV 444 HDCP2.2 SPDIF Control4 Savant Home Automation Routing Selector (8x8 HDMI HDR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GKFQNG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qZ5rCbQTXPSH5

I think this is just a matrix and not HDbaseT.  Looks like a nice little unit if you can run HDMI to your TV's or want some crazy daisy chained switching.

2 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

There is a dropdown in the different models that let's you choose HDR and HDBaseT

Still wish Dolby Vision was possible on the HDBaseT. Maybe its an unrealistic desire. Nice upgrade. I see one HDR HDbaseT unit in the dropdown clearly labelled v2, but maybe there are others. I got tired of picklist pecking.

I wonder if they are ever going to get their website up and running? Been a year I think. It would be nice to see better product pages. It's hard running a small business and I can appreciate the frustration of trying to build a website that people like.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Spector said:

Hi I installed same unit,cat6 cable 568b verified with tester did not us EZ connectors, my receivers keep dieing 5 have failed at this point ( less than a year) any ideas? Thanks

Are they replacing them under warranty? They should. They are covered for 2 years. I'm sure if you are burning through them they will begin to tell you why.

1 minute ago, Spector said:

I see no logical reason for them to be failing, except defective products

Seems like it, but you could have power issues in your house. You could have mice eating ethernet shorting power. You could have elves. Who knows.

Have you been able to replace them on warranty? They have always been very responsive when I've emailed them.

Hi, I had two fail within a week of installing, they sent two replacements. That was just before winter, now three more have failed. I installed it in commercial space about 7 hours away in a restaurant/lounge. Everything is to spec. The receivers get power from matrix over cat 6. I'm curious if op has had any similar experience also anyone else who has used this model from no hassle AV ? In my dealings with them they have been good.

40 minutes ago, Spector said:

I installed it in commercial space about 7 hours away

There's your sign....

Commercial job rule number one: Use product you know and trust

Out of town job rule number one: Use product you know and trust

49 minutes ago, Spector said:

In my dealings with them they have been good.

LOL, politely being dangled by the nose 😉

Look, nobody truly blames an individual for trying to save money. You win some, you lose some. But as a pro installer, you have a responsibility to ensure you're well informed, and you're expected to know your product. Sure, in the custom space, there will be items that are new and you haven't used. Plus you have to start somewhere. But on base items like a video switch, going with the cheapest option possible.........

Here's a hint - the only thread I'm able to find under the dealer forums for Control4 for No Hassle AV.....is pointed to this very thread.

1 hour ago, Spector said:

Hi, I had two fail within a week of installing, they sent two replacements. That was just before winter, now three more have failed. I installed it in commercial space about 7 hours away in a restaurant/lounge. Everything is to spec. The receivers get power from matrix over cat 6. I'm curious if op has had any similar experience also anyone else who has used this model from no hassle AV ? In my dealings with them they have been good.

Did the seller give you any hints on what's failing after you returned them?

What exactly is the behavior when they fail? Dead and no leds?

Did you get failures of the receivers on the same ports as the first two failures?

I'd guess power is the problem, but it's an obvious guess. Did you test the PoE voltage at the receiver side of the run?

I know people will hate on this off brand. Seems normal to do so given the landscape.

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 1:57 PM, Spector said:

Sorry just seeing this.  I have not experienced any failures or issues with my No Hassle AV matrix or receivers.  In fact, I’ve owned two different models of their 4K matrices.  I purchased the first one on Amazon and because I was one of their first Control4 users, about a year later, they called and asked if I wanted to be one of the testers of their new model that I referenced as the OP of this thread.  Both matrices were rock solid.

About two weeks ago, I received another call to act as a tester of their new model that does HDR, ARC, audio extraction and downscaling.  It is now integrated and I will be posting another review shortly.

Here is the link to the new model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZ4T21Q

I have owned a JAP setup since 2010.  It is still running, but is now relegated to providing service to a few 1080p 24” Visio TVs that I have around the house.  It has been rock solid too, but I have had a few transmitters, receivers and a lot of power supplies fail.  Everything electrical will fail, some sooner than later and some will fail for no apparent reason and without warning.  When I told my original Control4 installer that I wanted to go with Just Add Power, he didn’t recommend it because he wasn’t familiar with the company or its technology.  I found JAP because I couldn’t afford a $10,000 “name brand” matrix in 2010 ... I still can’t afford it, but my lower priced JAP system, that few dealers had heard of in 2010, is still running 10 years later.  Hopefully, it plays out similarly for my No Hassle matrix.

No Hassle AV is Just Add Power ten years ago, a video matrix company trying to get a foothold into the home automation market.  I don't know what it takes to become a Control4 partner, but I will make the suggestion that they explore the possibility.  I'm pretty sure if it means spending money or raising prices to become "official", it will be a hard sell because that defeats the idea of staying a company that makes affordable and reliable video distribution switches.

Link to new review 

5 hours ago, rayk32 said:

Sorry just seeing this.  I have not experienced any failures or issues with my No Hassle AV matrix or receivers.  In fact, I’ve owned two different models of their 4K matrices.  I purchased the first one on Amazon and because I was one of their first Control4 users, about a year later, they called and asked if I wanted to be one of the testers of their new model that I referenced as the OP of this thread.  Both matrices were rock solid.

About two weeks ago, I received another call to act as a tester of their new model that does HDR, ARC, audio extraction and downscaling.  It is now integrated and I will be posting another review shortly.

Here is the link to the new model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZ4T21Q

I have owned a JAP setup since 2010.  It is still running, but is now relegated to providing service to a few 1080p 24” Visio TVs that I have around the house.  It has been rock solid too, but I have had a few transmitters, receivers and a lot of power supplies fail.  Everything electrical will fail, some sooner than later and some will fail for no apparent reason and without warning.  When I told my original Control4 installer that I wanted to go with Just Add Power, he didn’t recommend it because he wasn’t familiar with the company or its technology.  I found JAP because I couldn’t afford a $10,000 “name brand” matrix in 2010 ... I still can’t afford it, but my lower priced JAP system, that few dealers had heard of in 2010, is still running 10 years later.  Hopefully, it plays out similarly for my No Hassle matrix.

No Hassle AV is Just Add Power ten years ago, a video matrix company trying to get a foothold into the home automation market.  I don't know what it takes to become a Control4 partner, but I will make the suggestion that they explore the possibility.  I'm pretty sure if it means spending money or raising prices to become "official", it will be a hard sell because that defeats the idea of staying a company that makes affordable and reliable video distribution switches.

Looking forward to your review

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.