C4 Forums | Control4

Extending Antenna for EA-3?

TesterGuy2008

Question

From time to time, I notice a LAG in response to like turning on lights, or controlling rooms.   Not all the time.   My installer suggested I get a repeater to boost the signal around the home.   I did, but still get this periodic delay.   I was reading some posts around Antenna - removing the ones that are included in favor of others?

In the past, I was told to reset the Control4 controller every so often -- like once per month, so as to clear this up?

I am running version 2.9.1 on my device.

Thanks

13 answers to this question

Is the EA in a rack? Usually an extension cable helps get it outside of the enclosure but it really depends on the floorplan and environment on if additional controllers being used as ZAPs or if just adding a repeater/z2io or a few well placed dimmers will help beef up zigbee coverage

Actually because my rack is full -- it sits on TOP of the rack, and is in the basement of my home.   I have switches and other devices all over the home.   The repeater is on the first floor.   The other question I have, is the channel at which the ZigBee is on, I am on channel 5.   I use one of my Access point names for Control4 for the wirless devices -- the touch pads -- just wondering if that has any affect or disruption in communication?   I used the Network Analyzer App for Android to determine the channels my neighbor's WIFI are on, as compared to mine.   Just want to be sure I am not impacting the LAG.

As I said I notice the lag - and want to be sure if it is normal from time to time.

Thanks

Channel 25 isn’t always the best solution either as it is used at lower power level to all other ZigBee channels, about 75% at best I believe.

Also the lowest ZigBee channel available is 11 so I’m not sure how you think you are on Channel 5, unless you mean WiFi instead.

In any case, I would suggest referring to this guide and ensure as many of your WiFi channels is use are as far away from the ZigBee channels as possible.

https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/203845040-ZigBee-and-WiFi-Coexistence

As a rule I tend to put all WiFi on channel 11 and then ZigBee on channel 11 also as they do not conflict. If you are in an apartment block where there are lots of other WiFi signals nearby you have no control of then you should do a scan of the strongest ones in the area and keep ZigBee away from the most heavily used WiFi channels.

Actually my WIFI channel for 2.4g is on Channel 3 -- this one was open, as my neighbors were on channel 6.   My 5 Gig is on a higher channel - but I do not think that is the issue.   I believe the highest channel for 2.4g is 11, so not sure how to get to 25?   At least on my wireless router that is.

My recollection on what channel my ZigBee is on, is from memory, thinking it was on channel 6, but I cannot find my notes.   I had a LCD 4 inch touch panel, and I believe I put that on channel 6 in order for it to work in my system.   Since that time, due to upgrades, with the LCD no longer being supported, I have no idea what my ZigBee channel is on, or how to check, as my 10 inch displays are obsolete as well.    Is there somewhere to check using the HE Composer?   When I bought my new router, I created a special SSID for the wireless devices.   This resides on the 2.4g as instructed by my installer.   This is what I use to connect my 10 inch displays, as they still work, but with very limited functionality.

I appreciate the advice, and have read the documentation provided.   Again my question, is it normal for at times to be a lag?   I do have over 100 control4 devices.

Thanks

just my .02 due to the complexity of your setup and size, you aren't likely to find a lot of comments to help you.  You say you have 2 controllers but IDK how to understand that without understanding how zigbee is setup and how your meshes and zservers, coordinators, zaps etc are setup.  You should have no lag.

Lag tells me 1 of 3 things:

1) your mesh is too large

2) your mesh has too much interference

3) your controller is overloaded.

I agree with msgreenf. You need to get your dealer involved. I don’t mean to sound rude, but your knowledge of networking is not strong enough. You should not be using channel 3 for your 2.4ghz WiFi. It is not a clean channel. That is one of the most basic things about setting up 2.4ghz is knowing what channels to use and how to find the clearest of those three channels. That alone tells me you need more professional help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually my WIFI channel for 2.4g is on Channel 3 -- this one was open, as my neighbors were on channel 6.   I appreciate the advice, and have read the documentation provided.   Again my question, is it normal for at times to be a lag?   I do have over 100 control4 devices. Thanks

Your WiFi and everyone else's in the USA should be on 1, 6 or 11. Any other channel just causes interference.

Make friends with collision avoidance and bandwidth sharing. Stop making noise.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/WiFi-channel-Better-to-use-crowded-1-6-11-channels-or-use-other/td-p/1104199

Or many many many other articles on the Internet.

I would love to know who ginger and the others that are misbehaving on my block are.

088d49ea70e7921e004593dc6da04b6c.jpg38b8d18620384a431439914ca42ab1eb.jpg

On 12/30/2018 at 4:45 AM, TesterGuy2008 said:

Actually my WIFI channel for 2.4g is on Channel 3 -- this one was open, as my neighbors were on channel 6.   My 5 Gig is on a higher channel - but I do not think that is the issue.   I believe the highest channel for 2.4g is 11, so not sure how to get to 25?   At least on my wireless router that is.

My recollection on what channel my ZigBee is on, is from memory, thinking it was on channel 6, but I cannot find my notes.   I had a LCD 4 inch touch panel, and I believe I put that on channel 6 in order for it to work in my system.   Since that time, due to upgrades, with the LCD no longer being supported, I have no idea what my ZigBee channel is on, or how to check, as my 10 inch displays are obsolete as well.    Is there somewhere to check using the HE Composer?   When I bought my new router, I created a special SSID for the wireless devices.   This resides on the 2.4g as instructed by my installer.   This is what I use to connect my 10 inch displays, as they still work, but with very limited functionality.

I appreciate the advice, and have read the documentation provided.   Again my question, is it normal for at times to be a lag?   I do have over 100 control4 devices.

Thanks

ZigBee Pro channels are 11-25

But....

If you have a ZigBee 10-button keypad, you could be on embernet, in which case, channels go from 1-14. 

The channels are the same frequencies, but the labels changed. ZigBee (Embernet) channel 1=ZigBee Pro 11, Embernet 14=ZigBee Pro 25.

wifi and zigbee channels.png

and upgrade the HC300. Its old, and your troubles may be related to a failing power supply in it.

Also possible the HC300 is not a zap server but setup as a co-ordinator. The setup recommendations for zigbee have changed over time progression and system updates. Now recommended to have multiple controllers (one per floor) and each it's own zap server.

Archived