C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone using the new 7" portable touchscreen yet?

I know of several people using them and loving them. I have two 10.5 inch panels so I haven't bought one yet, I think I will wait for one of these to go belly up first.

EDIT: I am talking about the table top, not the full blown portable.

There is also about 4x the screen space on the 7" :)

Id say there isnt really a reason to compare the two, because the 7" would likely sit in a relatively fixed location for multiple people to use whereas the iPhone or iTouch would likely be single user only and can be used from any WiFi point to do most everything. To me they each have very different niches.

Also, the iPhone will turn off it's wifi when asleep to save battery power, losing your connection to the director. That can be frustrating sometimes.

Very frustrating. But, I also think there's an issue with the ControlUI app not automatically re-establishing the wifi connection. I have to hit 'Connect' a couple of times before I have control of my system again. I originally thought this was an iPhone issue, but the Sonos iPhone app will automatically reconnect to wifi after the iPhone comes out of sleep mode.

Left 1-4 are programmable - anything you want.

Mine are

1-Toggle a Boolean

2-Toggle a couple lights

3-turns all house off

4-shuts off my kids room.

Plus you have off for the current room the on-screen is on.

Right

-Channel Up and Down

-Volume Up and Down

-Mute toggle

The navigation functionality with the select button in the middle does exactly like the navigation on your remote does.

Also, the iPhone will turn off it's wifi when asleep to save battery power, losing your connection to the director. That can be frustrating sometimes.

It is frustrating - I also have it kick out of the app after about 5 minutes of use - not sure why?

Is the WIFI range better on the 7" as compared to the 10.5? How about performance in sunlight?

I can't get my 10" to work by the pool. The wifi BLOWS and the screen is impossible to see. Would the 7" work?

Thanks!

Archived