C4 Forums | Control4

forum spam messages

Amr

Sorry everyone :(  I made some changes to hopefully stop the spam (for now)  

It has been on the top of my list for a while now to setup a proper moderator council. I expect this to be completed by September 1st and likely sooner.  

I really appreciate your patience.

4 hours ago, danlevine said:

Sorry everyone :(  I made some changes to hopefully stop the spam (for now)  

It has been on the top of my list for a while now to setup a proper moderator council. I expect this to be completed by September 1st and likely sooner.  

I really appreciate your patience.

Am volunteering ...

All you need to do is set the forum software to not allow message posting unless the person is a member. Then have member access based on a question and answer system. In other words, to become a member you need to answer a question. The question can be as simple as: Is it hot or cold in the summer?  Most of the foreign spammers or bots cannot answer that question. The forum I manage hasn't been spammed since I implemented this.

We do have questions like those enabled. They end up figuring out the answers and just create tons of accounts. That is what happened yesterday. One of the changes I made was to the validation questions. I do like your summer / winter question, I will add that one to the rotation.

Separately, I enabled an additional third party service CleanTalk to the validation workflow. It will continue to process checks for at least X messages after a member sign up and enables automatic blocking of languages and regions. 

Unfortunately, over the 15 years of this forum spam bots have been a constant game of whack-a-mole. 

Sorry about this issue. 

Dan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.