C4 Forums | Control4

Is CA-1 controller powerful enough to automate centralized lighting

1 minute ago, Dunamivora said:

If you have a single UI and the 30 lights with no automation, then it might work.

As soon as you add lighting scenes or more UIs (like 10 touchscreens and a few mobile devices), then you will want at least an EA1.

The CA1 wouldn't fail on it other than commands being delayed or slowed.

got it! Thanks ! @Dunamivora

4 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

If you have a single UI and the 30 lights with no automation, then it might work.

As soon as you add lighting scenes or more UIs (like 10 touchscreens and a few mobile devices), then you will want at least an EA1.

The CA1 wouldn't fail on it other than commands being delayed or slowed.

Might work!? If the CA-1 cant easily handle this with lots of room to spare then they need to get rid of it. A lutron caseta smart bridge could handle that and lots of scenes without blinking.

This forum notoriously overspecs controllers.

19 hours ago, oscarnyc said:

Lutron Radio Ra2 on a single repeater with decade hold hardware that's probably orders of magnitude less powerful than the CA-1 can easily handle this. If a CA-1 can't thats a problem. 

Yes I have had my radio ra2 main working for years also without a glitch. I think the difference is that Lutrons main repeater has a single easy job to do but the ca-1 is an entire home automation processor with many jobs  

Depends on is there Zigbee? Just wired keypads to a 30 zone panel, sure.

But I agree with if you add in some zigbee switches, thermostats, remotes, advanced programming, net drivers; then you'll end up underpowered, then you're into a EA3 or EA5 depending on complexities.

CA1 was designed for centralized lighting where there was no entertainment (HDMI, Audio Services) needed.

7 hours ago, Cartnj said:

Yes I have had my radio ra2 main working for years also without a glitch. I think the difference is that Lutrons main repeater has a single easy job to do but the ca-1 is an entire home automation processor with many jobs  

Yes, the complexity and processing power increase when other devices are added (though the Lutron does t-stats and the VCRX as well).  I was just referring to OP's situation where he justs asks about 30 lighting loads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.