C4 Forums | Control4

Low Voltage outdoor lighting question

eggzlot

The standard C4 switch or dimmer would work with LV exterior lights?

I think only a switch would be needed since I cannot see dimming exterior lights?

I did not get into c4 with the outfit doing the job - they are masonry people doing my front walk and I would assume they sub some to an electrician.  The quote is for:

• 8x 18'' path lights
  • 8x ecostar g4 bi-pin lamps
  • 1 150w transformer
  • 1 lighting timer (can ditch it)
  • 12 gauge LV wiring

So I can go from transformer to switch to my panel?  And then easily control the walkway lights within c4?

C4-SW120277 & C4-ADP120 spec sheets mentions Low Voltage (ELV) transformers - so that means I am good to go?

The FDP120 mentions MLV vs ELV?

4 minutes ago, therockhr said:

im interested in this. I need to get that same setup you have. what brand are you using? instead of a C4 switch though I need to know what Lutron Caseta switch to use.

https://www.fxl.com/ was the quoted fixture and I guess they use the bi-pin bulbs so that gives me these 22 options:

https://www.fxl.com/products/search?f[0]=im_field_product_category%3A1136&f[1]=im_field_lamp_type%3A2306

I installed the transformer indoors and ran( under ground) the 12V low voltage wiring out to the lights.

I used one of the following C4 Outlet Dimmer/Switch and programmed it to turn the transformer on at Sunset with all my exterior lights and  off at sunrise.  This way no Transformer timer is needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Control4-Wireless-Outlet-Dimmer-LOZ-5D1-WH-White-120V-NEW-in-box/254339944209?hash=item3b37d78f11:g:~2AAAOSw4e1dWGgf

Works perfect.  I do this with two 300W transformers for all of my front garden lights, pergola lights and pool lights.

cheers Jason

ah so the transformer just plugs into that unit?  Versus having the LV wiring run into a C4 switch or dimmer?

I have my other exterior lights on my house on a schedule as you mention via a scene so I'd just add these walkway lights to the mix as well.  Less concerned about the programming and more interested in the hardware required from the electrician and from c4.

Guess I am just confused how a transformer works. The transformer box has to connect to my house circuit breaker panel, no?

I watched a video to see how timers are put into those transformer boxes - so would I just put the C4 outlet switch in there instead?  Or just break up the wiring and go circuit breaker > wire > c4 switch (or dimmer) > wire > Transformer box?

This was the video I watched:

The transformer just has a standard AC plug on it.  So just plug the Tansformer's AC plug into your standard AC receptacle(wall outlet).  

In the video he stated to plug into a GFI Outlet with a weather tight box,  that's if your mounting the transformer outside.

I personally didn't want the Transformer mounted on the side of the house.  I mounted it near my AV racks and just ran the 12 V(low voltage) wiring outside out to the lights.

Plug your transformer into the C4 Outlet Switch which is plugged into the standard AC receptacle.

Cheers Jason

3 hours ago, manutdsoc2020 said:

The transformer just has a standard AC plug on it.  So just plug the Tansformer's AC plug into your standard AC receptacle(wall outlet).  

In the video he stated to plug into a GFI Outlet with a weather tight box,  that's if your mounting the transformer outside.

I personally didn't want the Transformer mounted on the side of the house.  I mounted it near my AV racks and just ran the 12 V(low voltage) wiring outside out to the lights.

Plug your transformer into the C4 Outlet Switch which is plugged into the standard AC receptacle.

Cheers Jason

Is it ok to put that transformer on a dimmer?

Thanks everyone - I think I am all set.  I was confusing making a "switched outlet" using a C4 dimmer + a regular outlet vs using a C4 Wireless Outlet Switch.  I actually have a spare LOZ-5S1-WH laying around, so I'll use that and plug the transformer into that device and program a schedule off that in Composer.

Thanks again!

I plan on plugging my transformer directly into a Kasa outlet since no plug in outlets will fit into a outdoor waterproof box. Hard wiring to a C4 switch is what I would do if Kasa didn't make an outlet. Chowmain driver works great with Kasa.

https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-plugs/kasa-smart-wifi-power-outlet-kp200

• 6 months later...

@theroxkhr Did you ever connect a LV transformer to a Lutron Caseta Smart Plug wall outlet?

For lighting we use Caseta throughout the house so I’d prefer to use this but I could always get the C4 one to use for our retaining wall lights around the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on where you live, if mounting your LV transformers inside your house or near your AV racks, consider using some type of lightening arrestors on your ground wiring, or at the point of entry into your house.  Similar to what you would do on your incoming power, cable, etc. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.