C4 Forums | Control4

Irrigation Controller for 2020

zaphod

I just picked up a Hunter Pro HC 24 zone controller with hydrowise.  The thing is great.  I don't have it integrated with control4 but I probably will.  

Just one thing that you all will probably appreciate.  I switched out my old controller to this one and I put blue tape on each wire and asked my daughter for a sharpie and meticulously marked each wire for what zone it was.  The damn ink rubbed right off the tape.  So I had 24 zones of which about 3 were readable.  So I got to test each wire and figure out what each zone was.  So it took much longer than it should have.  But works awesome now.

Seems the Rachio and the Hunter are the two favorite controllers. I am looking at getting one of the two. Does anyone have experience with both? Does Hunter allow you to use a PWS as Rachio does? Any pros or cons to each? Integration any better for either? The one note I would make for my system is that it will require more than one Rachio vs a single unit for the Hunter. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, DWRobinson said:

Seems the Rachio and the Hunter are the two favorite controllers. I am looking at getting one of the two. Does anyone have experience with both? Does Hunter allow you to use a PWS as Rachio does? Any pros or cons to each? Integration any better for either? The one note I would make for my system is that it will require more than one Rachio vs a single unit for the Hunter. Thanks.

I had 24 zones and if you use 2 rachio controllers they don't talk to each other.  So that was a huge reason i went with hunter.  I have heard that the rachio has better weather stations than the hunter, but what I have seen is that the hunter has a few for free and you can pay a little more to get a better list that will equal the rachio.  I am perfectly happy with my hunter so far.  I don't know how the driver is, but someone earlier in this thread said they were using the driver.

10 hours ago, Amr said:

Rachio have an excellent C4 driver via Black Wire Designs, Rachio standalone is wonderful device and the app keeps evolving and have many features, it’s my recommendation by experience.

How does your Rachio work overseas? Specifically weather station data and an climate zone that is not shared in North America?

I can assume that you are using drip irrigation?

1 hour ago, JR2 said:

How does your Rachio work overseas? Specifically weather station data and an climate zone that is not shared in North America?

I can assume that you are using drip irrigation?

Works pretty normally, I use the weather station that is near my home, around 11KM ~ 7miles, from it, Rachio execute weather skips. I do have my own Netatmo weather station, both are almost identical.

For Grass I use the normal pop-up sprinklers, and for the plants and trees we have the drip pipes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.