C4 Forums | Control4

Discord Server Up!

32 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Pretty sure the Control4 IRC channel was advertised in here back in the day as well (or maybe this forum was announced on the IRC channel, it happened pretty early)...

Discord is today's IRC channel.  It'll probably be just as popular.

:)

RyanE

Another internet search needed and another new term... IRC... clearly I am getting old as I don’t know any of these terms!

I could not care less about discord but the weakness of this board is that it caters to a very small segment of people. A few users who like to tinker and who are ok (somewhat) with the dealer installed model and dealers; some dealers who are here to help and/or dealers who just want to complain about users or try to give lectures. 

I think users who come to this site for the first time get the impression this site is run by users. Its not (at least I dont think so). 

19 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I could not care less about discord but the weakness of this board is that it caters to a very small segment of people. A few users who like to tinker and who are ok (somewhat) with the dealer installed model and dealers; some dealers who are here to help and/or dealers who just want to complain about users or try to give lectures. 

I think users who come to this site for the first time get the impression this site is run by users. Its not (at least I dont think so). 

So question is what would you do to change it?

51 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

This is a good question.  I don’t think anyone runs the site anymore.

My understanding is that the forum gets input from all of the following:

1. Dealers who genuinely want to help;

2. Dealers who are (quite rightly) here for purely marketing potential:

3. Dealers who want to complain (a real minority);

4. End users who want to learn and / or want to help;

5. End users who want to complain (again a minority);

6. C4 employees who genuinely want to help; and,

7. C4 employees who want to act smart / complain (again a minority).

The reality, I think is that we all fall in to categories 1, 2, 4 or 6 the vast majority of the time and we all slip into categories 3, 5 or 7 occasionally.

I know (or like to think) that I fall into category 4 most of the time... but occasionally I will fall into category 5 (apologies!) and I suspect most other posters are the same.  

All that said, I think this forum is extremely useful... but if we can improve it then let’s!

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

There's no way to change it because the board is the way it is because of the model of Control4. When a new poster comes on here and asks for guidance there will always be a post saying "talk to a dealer". That is not the point of a message board. They are asking for help from the board. Has there ever been a poster who said "oh i didnt know i needed to talk to a dealer. thanks. ill leave now."?

I dont want to get to involved because there is part of me that is glad this board is the first one that comes up when you google control4 message boards instead of others. Maybe it needs to stay that way.

55 minutes ago, therockhr said:

There's no way to change it because the board is the way it is because of the model of Control4. When a new poster comes on here and asks for guidance there will always be a post saying "talk to a dealer". That is not the point of a message board. They are asking for help from the board. Has there ever been a poster who said "oh i didnt know i needed to talk to a dealer. thanks. ill leave now."?

I dont want to get to involved because there is part of me that is glad this board is the first one that comes up when you google control4 message boards instead of others. Maybe it needs to stay that way.

I agree that sometimes newcomers get cast away pretty quickly.  I think as a group we could be a bit more helpful and try to ask some questions.  I think they get the "go talk to a dealer" because sometimes their questions are vague and they come across as not super technical so to try and explain stuff to them is harder, knowing eventually they will wind up going with what their dealer can recommend/service.  at some point we were all new and are still on this forum - it is because we are more technical.  This forum is really geared to those who want to tweak on their own, push the boundaries of what can be done, etc.  I know there are dealers on here who can spec/sell an entire new system from scratch to someone from these boards but I'd say that is in the vast minority.  The majority are people who want something quickly purchased/added and a local dealer with more overhead may not be as swift to respond to adding a driver for a new TV you got.  I think that is why some casual people come here and I've recommended a few to get some affordable quality help in a timely fashion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.