C4 Forums | Control4

Custom Buttons - Possible to set icons?

Is it possible to set the icon on a custom button?

For example I have a "Garage Doors" custom button that opens/closes all the garage doors. I would like this button to have a garage door icon.

Nothing obvious seems to work. 

Seems a simple driver with an icon would do the trick, and I could trigger my macros from that...

You would need to use an "experience button" or a relay/contact object, rather than a "custom button".

Custom Button by design were a catch all for items that didn't have a relay/contact object already. Simple Text, you can't assign them an icon. To carry into OS3 they got hitched to a generic button like folder object.

To answer my own question: The "Scenario - Experience Button" is what I want. Per the docs, you rename the driver file, set the icon there, zip it back up, and install it. While this seems a bit clunky, it'll work and is what I'm doing to writing drivers anyway. I wonder if I could write a driver to do this, and expose the features to user-land? I've not yet poked at the "drivers installing other drivers" side of things, so I don't know if this is possible. The "UI Button" proxy seems nice, and I'll have to play with that. 

My garage doors are currently using the Aladdin buttons, and I'm looking for a "control all the doors at once" scene. I have found that easier to do in a macro ("All Doors up", "All Doors down"), than trying to cascade events across. 

4 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

there is a new experience button for the garage door that has a lot of options. and if you on os 3 + you can favorite to your home page.

Thanks Matt. I'm using the Aladdin buttons to control my doors - which gives me nice control over them. I've favorited them, but I've got multiple garage doors buttons (1st world problems, no doubt). I'm trying to just get down to a single button. The "Scenario - Experience Button" seems like exactly the thing. 

54 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Thanks Matt. I'm using the Aladdin buttons to control my doors - which gives me nice control over them. I've favorited them, but I've got multiple garage doors buttons (1st world problems, no doubt). I'm trying to just get down to a single button. The "Scenario - Experience Button" seems like exactly the thing. 

You can use an extra garage for experience button and program it to close all the doors. This is something we cover in our New course too

If I’m driving macros (“open all” / close all), having one butting is challenging - if the garage doors get to a mixed state (one up, one down), what behavior would it have?

With 2 (open/close) there is no state management as the operations are idempotent - just hit close and I know I’m good.

I’m open to a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.