C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and FreeNAS

ejn1

Hi, Moving away from my Synology NAS to a custom built FreeNAS 11.3 NAS/Server.   Everything great aside from my music library now not working with my C4.   Understand from old threads it may be due to C4 using SMB1 protocol vs FreeNAS on SMB2?   I tried installing a Plex Server on my FreeNAS but wasn't thrilled with the DLNA option to C4.   My music is large library of mostly HighRez (20,000+ songs).   Any other tricks out there than I'm missing?

Last resort is to try a USB drive directly to my EA3 controller.   Is this a solid option if I cant get a viable NAS solution?   Ever since I took @SMHarman advice and picked up a used C4 audio matrix connected to my B&K multiroom amp,  I've been extremely happy with the C4's OS3 audio streaming :)  so eager to get my library back connected to my system.   C4 even replaced my Auralic streaming solution which is extremely solid so a big compliment to C4's progression on streaming.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Köhler Medientechnik said:

SMB1 is disabled on freeNAS by default (for good reason).

You need to re-enable and then it should work: https://eric-poon.blogspot.com/2019/01/freenas-111-u63-enable-smb-v1.html

Thanks,  interesting that FreeNAS intentionally disabled SMB1 for security reasons but C4 still requires it for mounting a NAS Drive folder.   Have you or anyone else tried putting a larger (eg 2TB) usb drive directly to a controller (EA3 in my case).   Is this a viable and solid solution?  Sounds like you can do it with a powered external drive but not sure folks views on it. Thx!

36 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks,  interesting that FreeNAS intentionally disabled SMB1 for security reasons but C4 still requires it for mounting a NAS Drive folder.  

Yep, security awareness is not one of the major priorities of home automation companies - it makes intgeration more complex and can affect user experience if things go wrong.
So they tend to keep it to the lowest level...

• 1 year later...

Weirdly my connection from Control4 to TrueNAS (as it's now known) is behaving badly.

I checked TrueNAS: 

1) SMB service has checked allow SMB1

2) Sharing for Audio folder on NAS has IP of C4 enabled and is guest, guest only as aux params

3) In C4, Network File Storage under Monitoring / Properties of it has location with ... to select.  I can see my share, select my Audio folder.

4) On TrueNAS all Audio is owned by Guest/Guest and was given recursively to match SMB sharing of it as guest, guest only

5) Even tried to make Control4/Control4 owner of Audio and use Control and password for the connection.

4) and 5) result in no connection "offline".   So I cannot get to my audio in C4 and all DLNA options are horrible (either no search, or constant app dropping).

Ironically I can connect to my NAS audio from any PC/Mac that has it's IP as permissioned in the SMB sharing.   So that's why C4 can see it and select it.  Somehow it just cannot connect to it.

Disagree about DLNA.

For USB I have a 2TB FAT32 with Lossy and Lossless music - currently copying music from NAS to it to plug into C4.

For DLNA - my options are (mostly due to having TrueNAS):

1. Plex DLNA

- Good, but no "search" capability exists.  You cannot search for an artist, song, or album at all.

2. MiniDLNA

- Terrible, as I tried this and with others in TrueNAS forums, it's rife with memory issues.  It constantly crashes and has to be restarted.  It's also end of life, so no support.

3. Emby

- Redundant with Plex as they are same purpose.  DLNA "might" be better there, but won't beat a USB thumb drive.

On 11/2/2021 at 6:11 AM, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Weirdly my connection from Control4 to TrueNAS (as it's now known) is behaving badly.

I checked TrueNAS: 

1) SMB service has checked allow SMB1

2) Sharing for Audio folder on NAS has IP of C4 enabled and is guest, guest only as aux params

3) In C4, Network File Storage under Monitoring / Properties of it has location with ... to select.  I can see my share, select my Audio folder.

4) On TrueNAS all Audio is owned by Guest/Guest and was given recursively to match SMB sharing of it as guest, guest only

5) Even tried to make Control4/Control4 owner of Audio and use Control and password for the connection.

4) and 5) result in no connection "offline".   So I cannot get to my audio in C4 and all DLNA options are horrible (either no search, or constant app dropping).

Ironically I can connect to my NAS audio from any PC/Mac that has it's IP as permissioned in the SMB sharing.   So that's why C4 can see it and select it.  Somehow it just cannot connect to it.

I have my C4 pulling my library from a TrueNAS device.  It’s working FYI.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.