C4 Forums | Control4

Unexplained, regular C4 outages

So for the past several months, my C4 system has been experiencing outages that occur at relatively regular intervals. Basically, I lose all functionality of C4 via wired/wireless keypads, apps and remotes and have to re-boot the system to bring everything back (which always seems to correct the issue). The odd thing is this seems to happen at 5 day intervals to the point I can basically expect it to happen. It doesn't happen at the same time every day, but is almost always right at 5 days. It's happened at night, in the morning, during the day, when we are home and when we are gone--I can't figure out any pattern other than the roughly 5 day interval. Whenever it goes out, all my other network related functions not on C4 work in the house. 

My dealer has been trying to figure this out as they set up my system and network and have unfortunately not seemed to figure out what the issue is. We ran diagnostics and they brought in C4 support that showed my TP-Link driver pinging the system a lot in the logs so we removed that--didn't fix it. We swapped in another controller (I have an EA5) to see if that was the problem--didn't fix it. My dealer thought it could be the network so we swapped out my Araknis router last week--didn't fix it. And even then, despite throwing in a new router and having to reboot the system, I still had an outage at the 5 day interval from the prior outage. 

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Seems likely there's some weird programming bug that could be causing this, but have no clue what it could be. The only other network item we haven't tried is the Araknis switch, but seems less likely when I never have any other network issues. My system had been working great up until about May/June when this started and I can't think of any big programming or hardware changes at the time. Appreciate any input from the experts here!

Which os version are you on? 

also have you checked your zigbee channel to see if it could be that? 25 is preferred but your millage may vary... 

also for any rouge programming or loops after the 5 day period? Auto update driver? A schedule? 

try turning off auto update on all drivers too see if that helps. 

also change out the network cable that goes from the ea5 to the switch - it’s a simple thing but crap / Damaged cables can cause this. Are you using the network switch on the back of the ea5? 

you can also try running a traceroute or ping some local ips see if you get any drop outs.  

maybe also get a third party to check over your programming see if they can spot anything. 

I can do this if need be. 

thanks 

Muj 

1 hour ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

Which os version are you on? 

also have you checked your zigbee channel to see if it could be that? 25 is preferred but your millage may vary... 

also for any rouge programming or loops after the 5 day period? Auto update driver? A schedule? 

try turning off auto update on all drivers too see if that helps. 

also change out the network cable that goes from the ea5 to the switch - it’s a simple thing but crap / Damaged cables can cause this. Are you using the network switch on the back of the ea5? 

you can also try running a traceroute or ping some local ips see if you get any drop outs.  

maybe also get a third party to check over your programming see if they can spot anything. 

I can do this if need be. 

thanks 

Muj 

It doesn't seem to be Zigbee related as everything goes down when it happens, wired keypads, wireless keypads and Wifi related items. I don't think I have an auto-update driver running, but certainly good to check. I don't have any schedule that coincides with either. Can definitely try the network cable, but my trial 2nd controller was using a different cable and port so I doubt it's that too. Appreciate the feedback!

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

I'm pretty sure he already stated in his original post that his dealer has gone through the logs with support

You're right, Ari. I had detailed logs running and could usually peg the time it went out within 10-20 minutes and the only thing C4 support ever told my dealer was that the TP-Link driver was pinging the EA5 what seemed to be an excessive amount to them. That's why we tried pulling that but it didn't seem to correct the issue. 

18 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’ve had this problem twice and both were driver issues from extremely reputable driver providers.  On both occasions Tech Support was able to identify the problem driver by logging in during the problem period (ie before rebooting)

@South Africa C4 user and @msgreenf this is great info. This seems very likely as I have several drivers in the system (including yours @msgreenf) and they're all from good sources and pretty popular on the forum here, but sounds like one could still be causing the issue.  

@South Africa C4 user so C4 support was only able to see this by logging in when the system was down? Also, did you re-install the driver causing the issue afterwards or keep it out of your system? I think this should be my next step, but it doesn't always happen at the most convenient time to have them/dealer remote in...I at least know that it should happen again this Friday :)

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

my drivers really should have no way to cause a memory leak...

Yeah, I just have your Device Renamer driver and didn't even consider it to be a possible culprit if it is a driver related issue.  

4 minutes ago, rea said:

Yeah, I just have your Device Renamer driver and didn't even consider it to be a possible culprit if it is a driver related issue.  

It can't be.  That driver doesn't do anything unless you invoke it.  It has no background processing or anything like that....

12 hours ago, rea said:

@South Africa C4 user so C4 support was only able to see this by logging in when the system was down? Also, did you re-install the driver causing the issue afterwards or keep it out of your system? I think this should be my next step, but it doesn't always happen at the most convenient time to have them/dealer remote in...I at least know that it should happen again this Friday :)

In both instances, the systems was extremely sluggish and / or not performing certain actions.  Support was able to log in both times (if it had been fully down, this would have been impossible) and both times they were able to identify the driver causing the issue.

In one instance, there was a memory leak and this was fixed by the developer. My dealer deleted the driver and added it back once the fix was in place.  In the second instance, I had the driver on trial and when the trial came to an end, the driver started misbehaving (some technical term was used which I cant recall - the word that comes to mind is “gleaning” but not sure if that is the right word!).  My dealer deleted the driver and all has been fine since (2 or 3 weeks later).  Coincidentally, I asked my dealer to buy a licence for this driver earlier today and it should be re-installed today.  As I had no problems during the trial period, my fingers are crossed for no problems once it is re-installed and licenced!

20 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Sounds like a driver memory leak 

Sounds like it to me too.

This is NOT a solution but more of a bandaid until the problem is really fixed - You can program the director to reboot everyday at 3:30 AM or something like that. But once again it sounds like a driver memory leak and you should get to the bottom of it.

7 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

In both instances, the systems was extremely sluggish and / or not performing certain actions.  Support was able to log in both times (if it had been fully down, this would have been impossible) and both times they were able to identify the driver causing the issue.

In one instance, there was a memory leak and this was fixed by the developer. My dealer deleted the driver and added it back once the fix was in place.  In the second instance, I had the driver on trial and when the trial came to an end, the driver started misbehaving (some technical term was used which I cant recall - the word that comes to mind is “gleaning” but not sure if that is the right word!).  My dealer deleted the driver and all has been fine since (2 or 3 weeks later).  Coincidentally, I asked my dealer to buy a licence for this driver earlier today and it should be re-installed today.  As I had no problems during the trial period, my fingers are crossed for no problems once it is re-installed and licenced!

Thanks for the reply. My situation sounds a little different in that there is no "prelude" to it crashing. Everything seems to be working great without a slow down and then it just crashes. Not sure if they'd even be able to remote in when mine is down, but this is certainly helpful. 

39 minutes ago, RAV said:

I presume with TP Link it was from Driver Central.... did your dealer ALSO delete the Driver Central Authorization cloud driver?

I'm almost positive they didn't as I have some other DriverCentral drivers in my project and still wanted to use those. So if the TP-Link driver was the culprit, I'd have to remove the Authorization cloud driver and re-add afterwards, I assume? 

There is a new version of the DC Cloud driver that was released fairly recently too. Check if yours is updated.

Best thing to do is wait till the project crashes, don't reboot anything, and while the system is still "down" see if they can putty in and run inspector and such.

Most of the time even when the system appears completely down support can still putty into it's command line interface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.