C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and Spotify Premium

ILoveC4

I just made the full switch yesterday from Amazon HD Family back to Tidal HiFi Family but bought it through Best Buy for a year for $179 so it was actually slightly cheaper than Amazon.  It wasn't that Amazon was bad but Tidal just seems to have a slightly tighter integration with C4 and that is how I am primarily listening to it.  One issue was that my son has a standalone Sonos Play 1 in his room and for some reason the Amazon Family plan would not allow him add his account to the Sonos app so I kept hearing from him (the issue was fixed once we switched back).  I also still have a Qobuz subscription for the moment.  Still debating if I will drop it as they have some music catalog differences.  In general, I will say ever since I finally upgraded from OS2 to OS3 the C4 music experience has got up another notch as the metadata and cover art is much richer. Lastly, I am planning on eventually utilizing Roon someday so that was another decision for me to go back to Tidal due to their integration.   

On 2/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, zaphod said:

What I meant about the car integration is that you can go into the Spotify app on your phone and pause playback, and then just resume it in your car.  It seems to me that the Tidal phone app does not seem to be aware of the music that you are playing from C4 - but maybe I have things set up wrong.

I have a six year old Tesla Model S which doesn't have Carplay but it does have a native Spotify app. The car appears as a Spotify Connect device, so it is very easy to transfer playback from a C4 Spotify Connect device to my car.  Not a huge deal, but a "nice to have"

Spotify moves from device to device so nicely the way you describe above because they basically force you to use their app.  If you frequently move from one location to another and like to continue listening to the same thing at the same spot then I don't know if there is a better option. 

The only things I ever need or want to continue to listen to from my home to my vehicle are my podcasts and books.   With that said I use itunes podcasts and audible, both of which I can easily pick-up where I left off.  For me the bigger concern is how easily does my music integrate into Control4, how easy is it for family or guests.  If sometimes they need to use the C4 and Spotify app and sometimes just the C4 app they will not be happy.  So really is all just depends on your use, who else might be using it and how easily the find the set-up. 

15 hours ago, zaphod said:

It seems like very few people are using Amazon Music HD.  Why would that be? What is the downside to Amazon HD vs Tidal.  It is $7/month cheaper.

Integration on Amazon is just more limited. I have it in my system as 'standard' Prime (why not - I have it anyway) but while not 'bad' it's really more of a 'free' extra that's nice to have than a go-to choice.

The Amazon Music API does not currently enable, and so the driver does not offer:
⦁    Add or remove content from “My Music” (Amazon Music user-saved favorites)
⦁    Save queue as playlist
⦁    Direct jump to artist or album of a selected track
⦁    Starting a station based on a track, album or artist

We are setting up Spotify on C4 OS 3.2.1 today and encountered an issue when attempting to save a playlist per the Control 4 "Spotify User Guide Rev A" on my Galaxy S10+ Android. There is not an "Add Preset Icon" button using the current C4 app on the Galaxy. See page five of the attached user guide for a screen shot of my phone. Any ideas?!?

spotify-user-guide-rev-a.pdf

On 2/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, zaphod said:

You still have to use your phone to select music on your phone (or PC or tablet) but in my opinion this has some advantages. And if you have Autoplay set up then finding and playing music is a one app proposition. But if you want to play to multiple zones then you need to start in Spotify and then go to C4 to add additional zones.

I am doing a trial of Tidal right now to get more used to a fully integrated music service in C4 but I think I will end up sticking with Spotify because the finding music experience in the Spotify app is much better than the finding music in the C4 UI. That might be different if I had TSes but I don't - I use my phone, keypads or C4 remotes.  I will post a pros/cons of Spotify vs Tidal in a few days.

We have multiple zones configured in C4 that show up as options in Spotify. So, I can select to play Spotify just Inside (3 zones), everywhere (6 zones), etc. Still need to use the C4 Android app to turn zones off. See attached...

Multiple Zones.JPG

19 minutes ago, zaphod said:

How do you do that?  How do you group rooms so that they show up as one zone in Spotify?

Add another spotify connect driver, name it accordingly, and select all the rooms you want to be included in the "Auto Room(s) Select" Property.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, the Best Buy deal is supposed to be US only but assuming that you can successfully make payment at bestbuy.com (Amex worked for me) and then authorize the Best Buy/Tidal account with a VPN to make it look like you are in the US then you should be able to use it in C4 or on your devices outside of the US.  It appears that once you are authorized that Tidal doesn't do any IP based geo-blocking. But you do have to go through some of that painful Captcha "click on traffic lights" process.  I am in Canada and I have a US Best Buy Tidal account working in C4, on my phone and PC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.