C4 Forums | Control4

Expanded Z-Wave Support Coming! (hopefully!)

Dueport

It sounds like we might see expanded support for Z-Wave devices next year at CES!

On this week's episode of the CEPro Podcast, when asked what we can expect to see from the Z-Wave Alliance in 2022, Mitch Klein, from the Z-Wave Alliance said "...you're also going to start seeing companies like Control4, who's again a very popular platform and a really strong one, that is expanding their reach into Z-Wave devices to enable access to even more solutions...you're going to see those at CES."

Here's hoping they add a ton more native drivers and allow third party driver development for Z-Wave!  I'm hoping for GE/Jasco dimmer and switch drivers (this would be huge and hopefully easy - the C4 Essential line looks like they're identical but with C4 branding and Zigbee Pro rather than Z-Wave or regular Zigbee), and HomeSeer Outdoor Motion Sensor (HS-FLS100+) driver!

11 hours ago, Dueport said:

It sounds like we might see expanded support for Z-Wave devices next year at CES!

On this week's episode of the CEPro Podcast, when asked what we can expect to see from the Z-Wave Alliance in 2022, Mitch Klein, from the Z-Wave Alliance said "...you're also going to start seeing companies like Control4, who's again a very popular platform and a really strong one, that is expanding their reach into Z-Wave devices to enable access to even more solutions...you're going to see those at CES."

Here's hoping they add a ton more native drivers and allow third party driver development for Z-Wave!  I'm hoping for GE/Jasco dimmer and switch drivers (this would be huge and hopefully easy - the C4 Essential line looks like they're identical but with C4 branding and Zigbee Pro rather than Z-Wave or regular Zigbee), and HomeSeer Outdoor Motion Sensor (HS-FLS100+) driver!

I'm not crazy about Zwave either and there are a lot of past examples of why professionals shy away. I also wouldn't expect a native Control4 driver for any dimmer of a direct competitor but I won't say it won't happen. 

I’m not a huge fan of z-wave now either but I see this as an important step in two respects: 1.) those of us stuck with tons of z-wave devices from past (DIY) smart home installs; 2) last resort option if a zigbee device isn’t available (see the lock comments above).

As far as the former point, there are a number of people on the forums (myself included) stuck in this spot and forced to use the Vera hub to integrate those devices - that’s EOL and who knows how long that will work. For example, I have 30-40 dimmers and switches that are zwave from before our move to C4 - I’m not going to invest the time and money to switch those all out at this point.  Having an option to support those natively for now would be a huge advantage and help attract DIY people into the pro space. The carrot being: attract those people by offering to support their existing investment but then once they see how much better pro is they’ll replace stuff with pro and expand with pro.

It is a good point @Control4Savant that C4 may not want to offer a native driver of a direct competitor for their product (like a dimmer) BUT they could open it up to developers to write zwave drivers. That would follow the model they have now for third party developers (ie there’s a great tplink driver from @alanchow that allows you to bring in their dimmers rather than C4’s). This would be a great value add for customers and allow more market for driver developers. 

Matter will murder zwave.

If I was on the team, I wouldn't spend resources developing zwave, unless there's a group of like minded who think together they can hold off Matter. Which I don't think anybody can. The Matter Alliance members are too big to beat, so short of internal squabbling, or the whole thing blowing up, Matter will win the DIY.

11 hours ago, Dueport said:

It is a good point @Control4Savant that C4 may not want to offer a native driver of a direct competitor for their product (like a dimmer) BUT they could open it up to developers to write zwave drivers. That would follow the model they have now for third party developers (ie there’s a great tplink driver from @alanchow that allows you to bring in their dimmers rather than C4’s). This would be a great value add for customers and allow more market for driver developers. 

Right, for 3rd party lighting systems or climate control systems with support drivers.. but GE is a Savant brand so those specific hopes are unlikely. TP link seems always willing to work with anyone. 

53 minutes ago, RAV said:

Matter will murder zwave.

If I was on the team, I wouldn't spend resources developing zwave, unless there's a group of like minded who think together they can hold off Matter. Which I don't think anybody can. The Matter Alliance members are too big to beat, so short of internal squabbling, or the whole thing blowing up, Matter will win the DIY.

Matter has to deliver and is mostly relevant for the plug and play tech consumer. Zwave (with all of its faults) is supported by professionals, custom integrators and consumers. 

2 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Right, for 3rd party lighting systems or climate control systems with support drivers.. but GE is a Savant brand so those specific hopes are unlikely. TP link seems always willing to work with anyone. 

Matter has to deliver and is mostly relevant for the plug and play tech consumer. Zwave (with all of its faults) is supported by professionals, custom integrators and consumers. 

But we didn’t see a real rollout in the market for Zwave, so will it ever pickup? I see Zigbee is a clear winner, Also LoRa is slowly progressing and it’s the de facto now for smart cities, let’s see

12 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

but GE is a Savant brand so those specific hopes are unlikely.

I believe Savant purchased C by GE (now Cync) only?  Regardless the dimmers and switches I’m hoping for are white labeled from Jasco. Numerous other companies put their names on these - Honeywell comes to mind - and (I’m nearly certain) C4 (with zigbee pro chip rather than zwave) - in their Essential line. 

58 minutes ago, Dueport said:

I believe Savant purchased C by GE (now Cync) only?  Regardless the dimmers and switches I’m hoping for are white labeled from Jasco. Numerous other companies put their names on these - Honeywell comes to mind - and (I’m nearly certain) C4 (with zigbee pro chip rather than zwave) - in their Essential line. 

No, Savant owns all of GE lighting. I get your point tho. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.