C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor TV with Audio for Pool Area

navman

On 9/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, zaphod said:

I did the same thing.  I replaced the first TV after about 7 years, not because there was anything wrong with it, but because I wanted a larger size.  My TV is also in direct sunlight in the afternoon and I watch from the pool occasionally.  My TV is on an articulated arm and it is in a mostly enclosed pool cabana when not in use.

@zaphod what tv did you get and how does it do with sunlight?

I just got a cheapo Vizio TV.  I crank up brightness to max.  It isn't great during direct sunlight but I will move my viewing position to deal with that, as best I can.  I have had that TV for about 9 years and it is still going strong.  I used to bring my TV in for the winter, but I no longer do that and it seems fine - I live in Toronto so it can get cold here.  Occasionally in the summer it will get some rainfall if I don't notice that I left it out.

I have also put a TV under my deck so that is viewable from the hot tub.  The only shelter that this gets is a deck, but it can be subject to blowing snow at times but the deck shields it from the rain.  Again I have something like a cheap TCL Roku TV for this as they are only $200 and if it dies then it isn't too much coin to replace.

35 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I just got a cheapo Vizio TV.  I crank up brightness to max.  It isn't great during direct sunlight but I will move my viewing position to deal with that, as best I can.  I have had that TV for about 9 years and it is still going strong.  I used to bring my TV in for the winter, but I no longer do that and it seems fine - I live in Toronto so it can get cold here.  Occasionally in the summer it will get some rainfall if I don't notice that I left it out.

I have also put a TV under my deck so that is viewable from the hot tub.  The only shelter that this gets is a deck, but it can be subject to blowing snow at times but the deck shields it from the rain.  Again I have something like a cheap TCL Roku TV for this as they are only $200 and if it dies then it isn't too much coin to replace.

*Backlight… backlight to the max. Brightness adjusts the black level depths. Contrast adjusts the variation between black and whites. 

I have a Samsung Terrace on a roof deck and had a Sunbrite in the past.  The Terrace is way better in basically every way.  Apps are better, picture is better, processor is faster.  I also have a non-full sun Terrace and use it in the full sun.  I haven't compared it side by side with the full sun model, but it's rated to hit the same peak brightness as the full sun Terrace but can supposedly overheat in direct sun.  I haven't experienced that at all.  

10 hours ago, zaphod said:

Funny, I have a vizio too right now. It's holding up with the weather, and I also leave it out during the winter (much warmer in VA than in Toronto). I'm just getting tired of the crappy viewing with the sunlight.

4 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

Funny, I have a vizio too right now. It's holding up with the weather, and I also leave it out during the winter (much warmer in VA than in Toronto). I'm just getting tired of the crappy viewing with the sunlight.

Yes, but is it really worth paying something like $3K for something like a Sunbrite TV, compared to $400 for a Vizio or TCL or whatever?  Do they look that much better in the sunlight?

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Yes, but is it really worth paying something like $3K for something like a Sunbrite TV, compared to $400 for a Vizio or TCL or whatever?  Do they look that much better in the sunlight?

From what I gather, Sunbrite barely looks good when not in the sunlight.

I concur.  Buy a bright cheap TV, do your best to protect it from weather, and replace it if it gets ruined.  How many $300 TV's can I buy for the price of one high-end Sunbrite with medicore picture quality and questionable build quality?  A bunch.

If you want a high-end "real" outdoor TV, maybe consider the Samsung Terrace?

My 2cents. Yes outdoor TVs are expensive, but they are a luxury item with a ton of engineering and premium materials over commodity TVs. 

For that premium you get a much brighter panel and anti-reflective screen that is a pleasure to view no matter how sunny it is outside or what time of day. 

But the real reason is safety. Indoor TVs are all susceptible to shock hazard which can happen just by touching the case. You will also void all warranty. 

Can you buy several cheap TVs for the price of a single outdoor TV?  Absolutely. You can also wear sweatpants to a business meeting instead of a nice suit…

2 hours ago, Double D said:

My 2cents. Yes outdoor TVs are expensive, but they are a luxury item with a ton of engineering and premium materials over commodity TVs. 

For that premium you get a much brighter panel and anti-reflective screen that is a pleasure to view no matter how sunny it is outside or what time of day. 

There are *tons* of reliability and picture quality issues reported with Sunbrite.  I'd rather not pay a premium for an inferior product.  What brand(s) would you recommend?  

17 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

There are *tons* of reliability and picture quality issues reported with Sunbrite.  I'd rather not pay a premium for an inferior product.  What brand(s) would you recommend?  

I will say that Terrace models have better picture but I only deal with Sunbrite. I have yet to have any issues and even if I did, I use them exclusively because of Snaps epic service department. Id rather be able to talk directly to the manufacturer who also builds half of the other products being used in an inclusive system than a big electronics brands like Samsung. Seura also has the only 85”. 

3 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

I will say that Terrace models have better picture but I only deal with Sunbrite. I have yet to have any issues and even if I did, I use them exclusively because of Snaps epic service department. Id rather be able to talk directly to the manufacturer who also builds half of the other products being used in an inclusive system than a big electronics brands like Samsung. Seura also has the only 85”. 

good insight - I actually bought a Seura Full Sun 65"  3 months ago.  so far so good.  Had a partial sun model for 7 years that finally went out and they gave me a $1,000 credit toward purchase of this new full sun unit.  their 50" was too small for area and 85" was overkill but good to see they had 3 different size options.

I think that the Samsung Terrace Partial Sun is the best outdoor tv at the moment, when factoring in cost. The one downside to it versus a Seura (that I’m aware of) is that it is IP55 vs IP56 rated. In reality that probably doesn’t make a huge difference, but the Terrace can only withstand low pressure jets of water (vs. high pressure).

As I said earlier, the only technical difference between the Terrace full sun and partial is the heat dissipation (and a lot of weight). They both max out at the same brightness. I haven’t had an issue with the partial sun version and heat even on a roof with direct sunlight.

For me, I wanted something reliable that could withstand the New England winter while also not costing $10,000. The Terrace has completely lived up to my expectations.

f83f5f31a5d2f7fe9b313e8c34c20373.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.