C4 Forums | Control4

Lutron Shade recommendations?

DLite

We are replacing a set of Somfy motors that are about 7 years old.  We have not had a terribly great experience with the Somfy motors; they have required about 1-2 service calls per year, and they are louder than I expected them to be.  I was thinking of moving to Lutron, because I've read (mostly on this forum) that their shades are extremely quiet and reliable, and work well with C4.

Does anybody have recommendations on which Lutron motorized shade lines I might investigate for our context?  Are there any concerns with Lutron that others have run into?

Thanks!

Serena line can be purchased and installed DIY, requires a Caseta Smart Bridge Pro.

Sivoia QS requires a dealer for purchase and uses the RA2 Select bridge.

Both can run from either battery power or low voltage power supply. (Serena wired has to be purchased over a phone)

Control for both is RF, so bridges/repeaters need to be reasonably close and need Ethernet.

Theyre are higher lines of shades, but I don’t think you require them. 

3 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Serena line can be purchased and installed DIY, requires a Caseta Smart Bridge Pro.

Sivoia QS requires a dealer for purchase and uses the RA2 Select bridge.

Both can run from either battery power or low voltage power supply. (Serena wired has to be purchased over a phone)

Control for both is RF, so bridges/repeaters need to be reasonably close and need Ethernet.

Theyre are higher lines of shades, but I don’t think you require them. 

Are the Sivoia shades much more expensive than Serena?

I have 6 Lutron Sivoia QS Blinds in the UK using the RA2 Select Repeater everything about them is great (except possibly the price) they are really quiet and integrate really well into Control 4. The repeater just has an ethernet and a power connection, tested to a range of around 20 meters and its fine 

I am a Lutron full shades dealer and have sold Lutron (with great pricing) to forum members here. 

Lutron shading is sold in three categories:

Serena Shades (consumer): A DIY battery and wired for power line with Lutron's excellent Triathlon motors. Available in a full-range of fabrics and styles (roller shades,  honeycomb shades and wood blinds with motorized tilt). A few options, such as Battery Boost are not available with Serena.

Triathlon (professional): Triathlon is Lutron's step-up shading line. Like Serena, it can be powered via battery or by wire. Not nearly as many options as Sivoia (below), but for most, this line is great. You have the option of Battery Boost which will give you up to 7 years of battery life based on the shade size, material and usage. Other great Triathlon options include hembar alignment and more flexible mounting options.

Sivoia (professional & full shades): Sivoia is the highest end Lutron shading. There are several different motor options (all wired), many different mounting options, numerous power and control options, and additional shading types: Horizontal Sheers (think Silhouette), Motorized Drapery Tracks, Kirbe Vertical Draperies, Roman Shade Motors, and Wood Blinds with Motorized raise/lower/tilt. 

Control: All Lutron Shading can be controlled with Lutron Pico remote controls. Additionally, Lutron Hubs such as the SmartBridge, SmartBridge Pro, Radio Ra2 Select and Radio Ra2 Main Repeater can control the shades.  An exception is that Louvered products need Radio Ra Select Hubs or higher to control them. If you have Control4 or another 3rd party control system, you need the SmartBridge Pro or higher for integration.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

1 hour ago, DawnGordon said:

I am a Lutron full shades dealer and have sold Lutron (with great pricing) to forum members here. 

Lutron shading is sold in three categories:

Serena Shades (consumer): A DIY battery and wired for power line with Lutron's excellent Triathlon motors. Available in a full-range of fabrics and styles (roller shades,  honeycomb shades and wood blinds with motorized tilt). A few options, such as Battery Boost are not available with Serena.

Triathlon (professional): Triathlon is Lutron's step-up shading line. Like Serena, it can be powered via battery or by wire. Not nearly as many options as Sivoia (below), but for most, this line is great. You have the option of Battery Boost which will give you up to 7 years of battery life based on the shade size, material and usage. Other great Triathlon options include hembar alignment and more flexible mounting options.

Sivoia (professional & full shades): Sivoia is the highest end Lutron shading. There are several different motor options (all wired), many different mounting options, numerous power and control options, and additional shading types: Horizontal Sheers (think Silhouette), Motorized Drapery Tracks, Kirbe Vertical Draperies, Roman Shade Motors, and Wood Blinds with Motorized raise/lower/tilt. 

Control: All Lutron Shading can be controlled with Lutron Pico remote controls. Additionally, Lutron Hubs such as the SmartBridge, SmartBridge Pro, Radio Ra2 Select and Radio Ra2 Main Repeater can control the shades.  An exception is that Louvered products need Radio Ra Select Hubs or higher to control them. If you have Control4 or another 3rd party control system, you need the SmartBridge Pro or higher for integration.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info!  A few questions..

Serena must be controlled by the SmartBridge (Caseta Pro) and not the RA2 Select hub, correct?  Triathalon and Sivoia can be controlled by the RA2 Select hub?

What type of wire should be used for a power pre-wire?  Should this wire come out of the window frame?  Do you happen to have any pics of a pre-wire?

On 9/29/2021 at 8:46 AM, LollerAgent said:

Thanks for the info!  A few questions..

Serena must be controlled by the SmartBridge (Caseta Pro) and not the RA2 Select hub, correct?  Triathalon and Sivoia can be controlled by the RA2 Select hub?

What type of wire should be used for a power pre-wire?  Should this wire come out of the window frame?  Do you happen to have any pics of a pre-wire?

Serena Shades can be controlled by any of the hubs, same with Triathlon and Sivoia. But, you need the SmartBridge Pro or higher to integrate with Control4 and you need the RA2 Select Hub or higher to control louvered products. In addition, if you want to be able to use the Lutron app, you will need a SmartBridge, SmartBridge Pro, or RA2 Select Bridge. The Radio RA2 Main Repeater does not work with the app, but a hub can be added to a RA2 system so you can use the app.

I have a chart that indicates which size wire you need. What will be your longest run?

We typically have the wire come out of the corner of the jamb.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.