C4 Forums | Control4

Cheapest 43’’ IP Controlled TV

eggzlot

Need a 2nd tv in my gym for a space where we do some floor exercises.  Will be mounted in a corner.  Quality isn’t a big deal.  With holidays coming up I wanted to keep an eye on sales so getting an idea of my options right now.

I use Netplay for distribution but I really just need a TV that can download the “Exhale” app and the Peloton app for work outs.  So if its an Android TV even better as Netplay is built in but I think I have some extra Fire TV or a Shield laying around I can use for Netplay distribution.  I likely do not even need Netplay on these TVs to watch other sources, literally just doing workouts with this TV.  

Saw Hisense has some IP drivers in the public database but the model #s get no results in a google search so no idea if they are the Android Models or not. Toshiba has Android TVs but the only drivers I could find were years old for 1080p TVs that aren’t made anymore.

I’d consider a Roku TV + Roku Driver I suppose too as I know these two apps are on the Roku Platform.

So really, just need an IP controlled TV as I can get some Ethernet to this area and would rather move away from anything IR controlled.

3 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Roku TV would do the job.  

Thanks that was my thought even with the paid driver it is cheaper than Sony for sure.  And I know the two apps are on Roku so I can leave it off Netplay for the time being.  No sure about Hisense/Toshiba or any options with a free C4 Driver.

drawback to Roku is it isn’t 2 way audio like a true IP driver though trying to save some money so I can likely deal with that if there are no other cheaper IP options.

TCL Roku TV for sure.  I tend to stick to the 5 series+, but even the cheaper ones are fine in most areas.  I have several in non-critical viewing areas (bathrooms, kids play rooms, etc) and they have been fantastic.  C4 control is rock solid with the Roku TV driver on Blackwire.

24 minutes ago, RAV said:

If everything is Roku (IP controlled), then all you need  from the TV is power and volume. Is IR really so bad for that?

It is a matter of getting an IR to the location.  I would assume the IP Driver for Roku TV's will allow for TV power and volume control (from what I gather just not volume feedback).

There is a chance given this is a TV in the basement going on a stand that I may also bring it outside from time to time on my patio so also considering something IP/Wifi controlled so I can use it outside as well and IR would make that tricky (yes I could pull out the factory remote I am aware)

31 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

It is a matter of getting an IR to the location.  I would assume the IP Driver for Roku TV's will allow for TV power and volume control (from what I gather just not volume feedback).

There is a chance given this is a TV in the basement going on a stand that I may also bring it outside from time to time on my patio so also considering something IP/Wifi controlled so I can use it outside as well and IR would make that tricky (yes I could pull out the factory remote I am aware)

You want the "Roku TV" driver (which is separate from the normal Roku driver):

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/roku-tv-ip/

Yes, this driver will control power+volume.

1 hour ago, LollerAgent said:

You want the "Roku TV" driver (which is separate from the normal Roku driver):

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/roku-tv-ip/

Yes, this driver will control power+volume.

yes I know its separate and 3rd party/paid driver vs the free Roku driver used for the streaming boxes/stick

But when asked what I had against IR, it is the cost/hardship of getting an IR to this location, hence looking for IP Controlled options.

4 hours ago, eggzlot said:

If you already have a network drop there, it's pretty easy to cheat an IR. Just steal the brown pair out of the LAN.
You only need 2 pair for LAN, and while I wouldn't do this as a standard practice, it has allowed for a quick easy cheap way to get IR to a TV.

Granted doesn't do anything for you wanting to move it about.

1 hour ago, RAV said:

If you already have a network drop there, it's pretty easy to cheat an IR. Just steal the brown pair out of the LAN.
You only need 2 pair for LAN, and while I wouldn't do this as a standard practice, it has allowed for a quick easy cheap way to get IR to a TV.

Granted doesn't do anything for you wanting to move it about.

I dont have a LAN drop there

I believe the Roku TV Driver works over Wifi too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.