C4 Forums | Control4

Keypads lagging

Jobu604

Hi all,

wondering if someone can assist with this issue. 

I have a panelized lighting system and things have been working smoothly for 2+ years. In the past few days I’ve noticed several keypads in the same vicinity (master bed and ensuite) severely lagging - 30-60 seconds to respond. Lights all work fine on motions, via the app, via touchscreens, etc. 

I have rebooted the controller and keypads to no avail. They are identified and work, just on a severe lag. 

Any ideas?

thanks!

9 hours ago, Jobu604 said:

Hi all,

wondering if someone can assist with this issue. 

I have a panelized lighting system and things have been working smoothly for 2+ years. In the past few days I’ve noticed several keypads in the same vicinity (master bed and ensuite) severely lagging - 30-60 seconds to respond. Lights all work fine on motions, via the app, via touchscreens, etc. 

I have rebooted the controller and keypads to no avail. They are identified and work, just on a severe lag. 

Any ideas?

thanks!

We’ve had big problems with all six buttons. Pinnacle dealer and C4 sent rep out. Made a few changes and put in two power conditioners but the problems persist. They claim WiFi interference can hurt zigbee but that has to be bunk as there is C4 lighting in nyc and all those apartments are bombarded by various strong Wi-Fi frequencies. We also tried moving all wifi to zigbee friendly frequencies - did nothing. I think C4 quietly upgraded their lighting c 2018 (was mentioned on one of these boards ) and we have another home which has been flawless (installed 2020). Wondering if others have zigbee issues w pre 2018 latest gen lighting? So will prob do Lutron next time. 

8 hours ago, penn65000 said:

We’ve had big problems with all six buttons. Pinnacle dealer and C4 sent rep out. Made a few changes and put in two power conditioners but the problems persist. They claim WiFi interference can hurt zigbee but that has to be bunk as there is C4 lighting in nyc and all those apartments are bombarded by various strong Wi-Fi frequencies. We also tried moving all wifi to zigbee friendly frequencies - did nothing. I think C4 quietly upgraded their lighting c 2018 (was mentioned on one of these boards ) and we have another home which has been flawless (installed 2020). Wondering if others have zigbee issues w pre 2018 latest gen lighting? So will prob do Lutron next time. 

6-buttons are not current gen but much, much older. But no, no specific issues with any of our pre 2018 dimmers and keypads of the current gen. The 'quiet upgrade' was primarily new materials due to availability, not making any particular changes to the device and function as such AFAIK

Regardless this is panelized lighting with rs485 keypads being discussed, has nothing to do with ZigBee in this case.

15 hours ago, Cyknight said:

6-buttons are not current gen but much, much older. But no, no specific issues with any of our pre 2018 dimmers and keypads of the current gen. The 'quiet upgrade' was primarily new materials due to availability, not making any particular changes to the device and function as such AFAIK

Regardless this is panelized lighting with rs485 keypads being discussed, has nothing to do with ZigBee in this case.

Incorrect. We’ve had a bunch installed in the last two years and they were new from C4 direct. 1-6 buttons and they’re posted on the website. https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/wireless-keypads

0BBEE7EF-A97D-4051-BE58-97332486CD8E.png

1 hour ago, penn65000 said:

Incorrect. We’ve had a bunch installed in the last two years and they were new from C4 direct. 1-6 buttons and they’re posted on the website. https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/wireless-keypads

Not incorrect.

You stated '6-buttons' which is an older product, vs the 'wireless configurable keypad' - just wanted to clarify that. And OP is STILL talking about the WIRED keypads which do no use ZigBee but a hardwired connection.

25 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Not incorrect.

You stated '6-buttons' which is an older product, vs the 'wireless configurable keypad' - just wanted to clarify that. And OP is STILL talking about the WIRED keypads which do no use ZigBee but a hardwired connection.

My pinnacle dealer calls them 6 button    and Zigbee are sometimes used w Panelized. 

1 hour ago, penn65000 said:

My pinnacle dealer calls them 6 button    and Zigbee are sometimes used w Panelized. 

Welp, this one will call them what the manufacturer calls them, and will use the term '6-button' for the devices that were in fact called that.

ZigBee keypads should probably ALWAYS be used with panel systems to create a better zigbee mesh - but that's still not the situation here.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:44 AM, penn65000 said:

My current house has latest generation C4 gear, but my prior house had over 200 C4 devices dated 2008-2009 with HC1000 and multiple HC300’s. I do not recall the exact count but I had at least 10 6-buttons. Although the system did need to be rebooted occasionally back then, I can say the system was responsive - nearly instant. Not sure what you are experiencing, but does not compare to my experience.

Sounds like these are the wired keypads not zigbee?
Any idea how the wiring is done, all home run, so many in parallel, etc?

You might have one with a sticky button, or bad wiring or a bad keypad taking down the group.

If you have several on a run, try bisecting the run and disconnect half and see how it goes.

4 hours ago, Jobu604 said:

it shows a "red" voltage reading

While not a great thing to see, this in and of itself isn't a tell tale sign.

As per RAV culd be a bad keypad, could be a bad wire, could be a button flooding the communication, or could be a keybus gateway issue.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:08 PM, RyanE said:

Yeah, your dealer is calling them by the wrong name.

Those are configurable keypads.

This is a Gen 1 6-button...

https://imgur.com/a/fhgVlHG

RyanE

Okay. I meant configurable keypads. I’ll let my dealer know correct nomenclature. Did you update zigbee radios during the “silent” lighting upgrade c 2018?

37 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

Okay. I meant configurable keypads. I’ll let my dealer know correct nomenclature. Did you update zigbee radios during the “silent” lighting upgrade c 2018?

All of my Gen1 product (of which I still have probably 50) were Embernet, and all got upgraded to Zigbee Pro, and have been updated several times since.

Those were the dark days.

:)

On the bright side, of all C4 lighting / keypads I've installed (around 100), I think I've had 2 fail, over the last 15 years.

RyanE

23 minutes ago, RyanE said:

All of my Gen1 product (of which I still have probably 50) were Embernet, and all got upgraded to Zigbee Pro, and have been updated several times since.

Those were the dark days.

:)

On the bright side, of all C4 lighting / keypads I've installed (around 100), I think I've had 2 fail, over the last 15 years.

RyanE

Thx. But the latest gen had “silent” upgrade 3-4 years ago (mentioned on these forums and confirmed by my dealer) and just asking what the upgrades were? Again my pre-2018 configurable keypads have lag issues but the ones installed 2019+ are rock solid. 

Zigbee devices have had a *lot* of upgrades over the years.  I couldn't tell you what specific upgrade you're talking about.

When you say 'silent', there's no "secret upgrades", but there are always refinements, many OS updates include refreshed Zigbee firmware, which gets applied automatically with the OS update.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 7:10 PM, Jobu604 said:

So to update this, it appears that we were overloading the bus ethernet gateway with too many keypads.  We'll be adding an additional gateway and expect that to resolve the issue.  

@Jobu604 I’m experiencing a similar issue. How did you troubleshoot to discover it was a bus overload issue? I have no idea where to start - have already reset all the devices, the Ethernet bus, and even the controller. Are there any any specific areas in composer you can see messages or troubleshoot to discover the root cause?

I recall that within Composer if I looked at the Ethernet gateway it was giving me "red' signals in terms of voltage.  But the reality is, to finalize the troubleshoot or dealer came out and added another device to the project.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.