C4 Forums | Control4

C4 app suddenly slow to load lights/shades

ashwinmj

All of a sudden a couple of weeks ago, the C4 app started to take about 15-20 seconds to show anything under "lights" and "shades", until which point the list is blank. It used to be pretty much instant until this problem started.

The problem is seen on iPhone and Android, and happens while accessing it locally through wifi and remotely. The system is on the latest version (3.2.4 I think).

Any help on how to fix this would be awesome. 

• 3 weeks later...

@msgreenf it was loading consistently without delay for a long time. Nothing was touched on the KNX or C4 side for weeks, and this problem started all of a sudden. 

In terms of programming, there’s nothing related to lights or shades on the C4 side. It’s the lights and shades group addresses directly entered into the C4-KNX drivers, and these devices simply made visible under lights and shades. Apart from this there’s nothing else. 

Any recommendations on what we could look for? 

Ensure your mobile device and app are updated. Ensure C4 software and drivers are updated. Close all apps and reboot the mobile device. Reboot C4 controllers. Finally, ensure the issue is not a home wifi or network issue. If problem persist, start looking at any C4 drivers that were added or updated recently or any programming updates. The issue is not a widespread - otherwise you would see much more traffic on this topic on the forum. I realize chasing ghosts like this are a PITA, but sometimes necessary. For me, I find C4 to be very stable. I never reboot my system unless making program changes, adding drivers, adding devices. And my entire system is on UPS so it does not reboot unless I want it to reboot. Good luck.

@msgreenf and @C4 User thanks for your inputs.

I was mistaken about the problem being both on Android and iOS. It's happening only on iOS, while on Android it's quick to load.

We all have iPhones in the house and it's the same problem on all of our phones - all iPhones have the latest version of the iOS C4 app and iOS itself. We have tried rebooting the phones and even tried on one iPhone that was factory reset a few days ago.

My dealer was here about an hour ago and he has an Android phone - it loads quick on his phone. We checked the System Diagnostics in Composer to see the load, and we found that when the app is opened on the Android phone, the CPU usage of the controller goes up to around 13% for a few seconds and then goes down to almost 0%. When the app is opened on an iPhone the load goes up to 40-50%, and it's only when the load goes down to about 14% after around 20 seconds that the lights/shades load, and then it drops down to around 0% after a few more seconds. When the load is at around 50%, most of it is by the processes nginx and node. So it appears to be a problem is related to the CPU usage initially going high when the iOS app is opened? Any recommendations? I've attached a screenshot of the CPU usage going high every time the iOS app is opened. 

My C4 system has been stable as well and I don't find the need to reboot it at all, and I have mine on a UPS as well :) There has been no change to the system for a while now - no new drivers added or any changes made, and the problem started all of a sudden. Does it seem like it could still be related to a specific driver?

System Diagnostic

Above my pay grade as I’m only a user. I too have iPhones and iPads. No issue at all with loading or performance delays on IOS apps. I have no idea what my processor loading is during app loading. So someone smarter than I will need to help you. 

@South Africa C4 user we spent a bit more time analyzing the problem and it doesn’t seem to be isolated to shades and lights only. When the iOS app is initially opened the CPU load goes high to around 50% for about 15-20 seconds. During that time, it seems like no communication is happening between the controller and the app. Only the app’s UI works in isolation. For example, the lights and shades don’t load, because it needs to get the list of lights and shades from the controller. Turning on a video source in a room loads the app UI for that source, but no AV equipment actually turns on. If a media session was already active in the room it’s UI opens, but pressing any button doesn’t do anything. 

It’s only after the first 15-20 seconds when the CPU usage suddenly reduces from around 50% to below 15% that everything starts working.

I had assumed it’s only the lights and shades that don’t load during the initial high CPU usage period, because they are clearly visible in the UI that they haven’t loaded. Now I realize that for other parts of the app only the UI loaded, but nothing in the UI is functional. 

This problem is not seen on Android, and it started all of a sudden without any change in my C4 setup. 

I agree sessions always take a bit to load, but that’s a lot quicker than the time it’s taking for the app to become functional for me 

3 hours ago, ashwinmj said:

@South Africa C4 user we spent a bit more time analyzing the problem and it doesn’t seem to be isolated to shades and lights only. When the iOS app is initially opened the CPU load goes high to around 50% for about 15-20 seconds. During that time, it seems like no communication is happening between the controller and the app. Only the app’s UI works in isolation. For example, the lights and shades don’t load, because it needs to get the list of lights and shades from the controller. Turning on a video source in a room loads the app UI for that source, but no AV equipment actually turns on. If a media session was already active in the room it’s UI opens, but pressing any button doesn’t do anything. 

It’s only after the first 15-20 seconds when the CPU usage suddenly reduces from around 50% to below 15% that everything starts working.

I had assumed it’s only the lights and shades that don’t load during the initial high CPU usage period, because they are clearly visible in the UI that I they haven’t loaded. Now I realize that for other parts of the app only the UI loaded, but nothing in the UI is functional. 

This problem is not seen on Android, and it started all of a sudden without any change in my C4 setup. 

I agree sessions always take a bit to load, but that’s a lot quicker than the time it’s taking for the app to become functional for me 

Interesting..l I will do some testing tomorrow for interest.  Are you doing these tests on local WiFi?

We looked at this today and we are seeing the CPU jump to around 50% (for about 15 seconds) when opening an iOS version of the app on WiFi. I didn’t really see a delay in accessing lights or shades but was seeing a noticeable delay in having access to Locks and Sensors (under security) and Extras (under comfort).  I rarely go to either of these screens immediately on starting the App so cannot say how long this has been an issue.  Slow loading of Sessions has “always” been an issue.  Pretty much everything else loaded quickly for me (within 2 seconds).

I am running a massive project on a CA10.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 12:35 AM, booch said:

Have the same issue! Never was a problem before and have a top-tier network (if I may say so myself, ha, but seriously it is!). Would love to hear the solution once it's figured out...

Wanted to add that I'm noticing the 'sessions' bar and associated control seems much slower to come up. Both bugs are quite frustrating, so I hope C4 is on this.

Thankfully, my T3s don't seem to be affected/hanging/lagging like iOS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.