C4 Forums | Control4

MQTT local no longer works

Hello,

I have a C4 CORE 1 OS VERSION controller 3.3.1.639488-res, so the latest firmware image.

Since the update I can no longer connect to the local MQTT server on the controller.

But the service started. Can anyone confirm that there is a problem with the controller firmware?

Thanks

Stephan

Hi RyanE,

I would say not quite right. If I install the drivers from Berto, I can configure the Mosquitto instance.

If you look under Services in the System Manager, you will also see the Mosquitto service. What I'm not clear on is what the uic-mqtt service is, but it doesn't start either

image.png.ea5ce388e877d6753a04e5285bfa2f3c.png

Thanks

Stephan

12 hours ago, Stephan said:

Hi RyanE,

I would say not quite right. If I install the drivers from Berto, I can configure the Mosquitto instance.

If you look under Services in the System Manager, you will also see the Mosquitto service. What I'm not clear on is what the uic-mqtt service is, but it doesn't start either

image.png.ea5ce388e877d6753a04e5285bfa2f3c.png

Thanks

Stephan

C4 hasn't made any official announcements on c4 about mqtt that I'm aware of or have given the ok for 3rd party usage. From my understanding, whilst some services might exist, there is no guarantee they would continue to operate (or even exist) in future releases if C4 hasn't given the ok (it would basically be considered an unofficial API at this point). 

On 10/22/2022 at 3:44 AM, Stephan said:

Hello,

I have a C4 CORE 1 OS VERSION controller 3.3.1.639488-res, so the latest firmware image.

Since the update I can no longer connect to the local MQTT server on the controller.

But the service started. Can anyone confirm that there is a problem with the controller firmware?

Thanks

Stephan

they reconfigured the mosquitto service for TLS certificate authentication (the new z-wave drivers use this method), that's why Berto drivers can no longer connect to it..

image.png.f559c391d391f715ee5046fb11886c91.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 12:13 AM, Zuhair said:

It's working fine on 3.3.1 with an external MQTT broker.

I have an issue now since I updated the external broker to version 2.0 from version 1.0 Berto is not working any more, any guidance of what need to be done on Broker release to regain functionalities?

On 7/30/2023 at 11:24 PM, Amr said:

I have an issue now since I updated the external broker to version 2.0 from version 1.0 Berto is not working any more, any guidance of what need to be done on Broker release to regain functionalities?

If you were running an insecure Mosquitto service (i.e. Port 1883 and anonymous login) then you need to make sure your mosquitto.conf has been configured with the following entries as of 2.0:

listener 1883
allow_anonymous true

This was detailed in the 2.0 release notes here - https://mosquitto.org/blog/2020/12/version-2-0-0-released/

So maybe check your config file?

1 hour ago, Leighm0 said:

If you were running an insecure Mosquitto service (i.e. Port 1883 and anonymous login) then you need to make sure your mosquitto.conf has been configured with the following entries as of 2.0:

listener 1883
allow_anonymous true

This was detailed in the 2.0 release notes here - https://mosquitto.org/blog/2020/12/version-2-0-0-released/

So maybe check your config file?

I did that already and edit my conf file with all the requirements of migration from v1 to v2, still it did not work, I manually reverted back and installed the old v1.6 Eclipse Mosquitto on top of v2 and everything is back to work again!!

• 3 months later...

I'm fairly new to using berto but had it mqtt working to communicate with Home assistant a week or so ago. I nuked my c4 project and rebuilt it to try something new but am not able to get berto up and running again. After connecting to the broker it gets the error below. This error appears after connecting, publishing, and recieving message. And the Buffer percentage just continually grows. I've tried starting a project from scratch and re-downloading the berto drivers but no luck. Any chance anyone here has run into this and has any advice?

DEBUG [20:50:26 - core-mosquitto]: MQTT.client:_send_packet(): Resending PUBLISH With Id 13
DEBUG [20:50:26 - core-mosquitto]: MQTT.client:_send_packet(): PUBLISH With 29 Byte Payload
DEBUG [20:50:26 - core-mosquitto]: MQTT.client:_queue_packet(): Adding PUBLISH To Queue With Id 13
DEBUG [20:50:26 - core-mosquitto]: MQTT.client:_encode_packet(): Fixed Header     - 00111011
DEBUG [20:50:26 - core-mosquitto]: MQTT.client:_encode_packet(): Remaining Length - 00011101
DEBUG [20:50:26 - core-mosquitto]: MQTT.client:data(): 4 Bytes Received
DEBUG [20:50:26 - core-mosquitto]: MQTT.client:data(): Buffer 6110%
LUA_ERROR [id: 29][name: Berto Agent][file: Berto_Agent.c4z][method: ReceivedFromNetwork]: calling 'GetDeviceDisplayName' on bad self (devId should be a number)

though this error appears when sending the messages do seem to get through to the broker. but recieving messages not so much (just get the error)

also not sure if it's part of the same problem or not but I get this error when reloading or updating the driver action field

LUA_ERROR [id: 224][name: Berto Agent][file: Berto_Agent.c4z]: squish.lua:188: attempt to concatenate field 'c4z' (a nil value)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 4:26 AM, RobP said:

also not sure if it's part of the same problem or not but I get this error when reloading or updating the driver action field

LUA_ERROR [id: 224][name: Berto Agent][file: Berto_Agent.c4z]: squish.lua:188: attempt to concatenate field 'c4z' (a nil value)

This is now fixed.

The latest beta 4.2 is a complete rewrite of my MQTT client from the ground up.

I've tested connecting to Mosquitto 2.0, unencrypted and over TLS, unauthenticated and using authentication, support over WebSockets and all levels of QOS.

You can test connections using https://test.mosquitto.org and https://www.hivemq.com or use your own broker.

Whilst the client can connect to the local controller broker I do not advocate this or any chnages to the local mosquitto configuration. A broker on a Pi takes less than 5 minutes to setup.

The v2 drivers are still in beta but I hope to release a production version soon, time permitting!!

Available at https://beta.berto.io/c4z

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.