C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad button best practices

discipulus1

Hello,

Im curious on how most people program keypad button experiences that are shared across multiple buttons and tie LED color changes to all of the buttons even though only one is pressed.

I have some keypad buttons I use to program a leave / return home type scene with thermostat settings, day/ night variables , dogs@home vs not (experience buttons) security armed or not reminder, rooms off etc.  

Till recently I’ve been creating the scene in programming under each and every button via copy and paste but was thinking, as it gets more complicated, should I create a macro (rerun home scene day, return home night etc) and call those functions in the multiple keypads around the entrance to use that macro?  I noticed that I had forgotten to make the changes to one of the buttons on one of the keypads and realized if I had created a macro and called the macro vs copy pasting to@each button, I wouldn’t have missed the copy paste on one of the keypads. Trying figure out how most of you do this sort of thing. Also, do you typically trigger a variable for scenes like this that will update the LED color on each button if one is pressed and the scene is active?  Im trying to have it do RED for Leave, Yellow for dogs @home leave and perhaps green for Home but I want all of the keypad buttons attached to this macro to change when the scene is active.  How would I push the LED color to all attached buttons?  Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, JDouble said:

Man, that seems like too much trouble for what it's worth. 

That is why 99% of users don’t use the vast majority of C4’s functionality. Furthermore, this is why 99% of the remaining 1% will use a dealer for this sort of thing.

The remaining 1% of the 1% are on this forum.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, discipulus1 said:

as it gets more complicated, should I create a macro

Yes.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, discipulus1 said:

Also, do you typically trigger a variable for scenes like this that will update the LED color on each button if one is pressed and the scene is active

Well as a dealer, absolutely not: I would just tie the same lighting scene scene to the same button, or use an experience button with button links etc for the same reason, and set the scene's (or as available the experience button's) LED settings and the system just does the rest.

But if linking isn't an option for whatever reason, get your dealer to load the LED wizard driver to make this a lot easier, and yes put it in macros.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.