C4 Forums | Control4

Rack fan recommendation

tomn68

My rack (from previous home owner) is located in a closet in a 2nd bedroom/office. During the summer it can get hit in this room since it gets a lot of sunlight. Since it’s a 2nd home we’re not always there and won’t run the HVAC. The C4 EA-5 fan will be super loud when it kicks into high gear.

Usually I leave the closet doors open to get air in there (unless in a zoom call) but there’s no vents. Although a fan doesn’t solve that problem, I’m looking to install a fan in the rack under the C4.

Any recommendations for type, brand, exhaust vs pulling air in… can I install directly under the C4? 8ee36fd5cb182d9d739fa1fa546dd995.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have space put a 1U vent blank plate between the EA-5 and your network switch... 

I might be able to ditch the blueray player (never used)and move the Luxul and Araknis up to give space for a vent plate on top of the C4. Thanks

I like AC Solutions Cloudplate - they have option for top vent or front vent. If in a closet, you could just install a register above the door of the closet to help.

Those look good. I have a vent plate below the C4. Maybe I place it there and then put a vent plate on top of the C4 by moving things up a shelf if I ditch a blue ray player?

Unfortunately my wife would kill me if I cut a vent into the closet door:)

She'll kill you more if you melt the equipment and have to replace it

But then I get to upgrade:) Maybe worth it. Hahaha

honestly though, if I could quiet it down for her in that room she would appreciate it.

I recommend AC Infinity as well, they are super quiet and can provide a total protection, then can be purchased to allow air-in from bottom and suck hot air out at top and at middle as well, they comes in all shapes, 1U, 2U, different fan configurations and numbers, with and without a thermostat, you name it.

Try Amazon you won’t regret it!

You mention sunlight....  consider a shade or film to cut down on the heat at the source.

We have shades and keep them down when not home. We’re in a south facing building with all window across all rooms. It’s crazy how hot it can get with shades down. I was also going to look to get that 3m professional film but heard it’s fairly pricey if you’ve got a lot of glass. Might pay for itself though.

Great technical on rack cooling by Middle Atlantic Racks:
https://avispl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/MAP-WhitePaper-ThermalManagement.pdf

TLDR: Chimney. Rack cooling should be an intentional directional effect.
Example: Air goes in the bottom/front, and out the top/rear.
What is seen too often is top blockage or not enough exhaust, and too many front vents, and the air stagnates or circulates within the rack.

Also, Controllers don't like being right under somebody, leave a space.
Swapping the vent and EA in your rack is where I would start.

Great technical on rack cooling by Middle Atlantic Racks:
https://avispl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/MAP-WhitePaper-ThermalManagement.pdf

TLDR: Chimney. Rack cooling should be an intentional directional effect.
Example: Air goes in the bottom/front, and out the top/rear.
What is seen too often is top blockage or not enough exhaust, and too many front vents, and the air stagnates or circulates within the rack.

Also, Controllers don't like being right under somebody, leave a space.
Swapping the vent and EA in your rack is where I would start.

Great recommendations. I’ll check out that article. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto AC Infinity. (As a shout, their build/packaging is 'Apple level'.)

I'm running two CLOUDLINE T6 duct fans as rack exhausts (routed through the wall to my conditioned crawl space). Also added additional intake grilles to both the rack and AV closet door. As others have said, there's def. balance/science to airflow, so I'd experiment with less relative intake vs. exhaust volume before cutting. Lots of good online tools to calculate CFM, etc.

(See attached pics.)

My rack is packed, so it used to get above 100°, now it's 80-85°, which protects against devices acting up due to overheat, and presumably, premature failure.

IMG_0256.jpg.746d1c74da7c3a1bae48eec0834ccefd.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg.8e7e7f65d059148f83c9889ab696113e.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg.c4a0b480bf3d97390a457b283aae7b63.jpg

Ditto AC Infinity. (As a shout, their build/packaging is 'Apple level'.)
I'm running two CLOUDLINE T6 duct fans as rack exhausts (routed through the wall to my conditioned crawl space). Also added additional intake grilles to both the rack and AV closet door. As others have said, there's def. balance/science to airflow, so I'd experiment with less relative intake vs. exhaust volume before cutting. Lots of good online tools to calculate CFM, etc.
(See attached pics.)
My rack is packed, so it used to get above 100°, now it's 80-85°, which protects against devices acting up due to overheat, and presumably, premature failure.
IMG_0256.jpg.746d1c74da7c3a1bae48eec0834ccefd.jpg
IMG_0257.jpg.8e7e7f65d059148f83c9889ab696113e.jpg
IMG_0263.jpg.c4a0b480bf3d97390a457b283aae7b63.jpg

Nice setup you have there. Thanks for the help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.