C4 Forums | Control4

A and B speakers for different Rooms

brucecampbell

It's not perfect, but it works... mostly.

I have two rooms which use the same receiver, I just switch between A or B or A+B when listening to music.

One problem is they are treated as independent sources,
On the odd occasion where I have both rooms playing music at the same time, if I turn off one room, the other room thinks it is still on, but the receiver is off.

Is there a solution here?

42 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Well yes, stop using a/b and get a receiver with 2 zone capability. Or just two amps...

😏

:)
I knew someone was going to say that...
One day I'll get more equipment, but for now the A/B works 'ok' so was hoping there was some form of control where C4 knows the amp is in use and does not turn it off....
I suppose its not a usual way of doing things, so there is probably no need for C4 to have a solution.

Look around for people with spare amps especially if you aren't using the video aspect of the amps, which it sounds like you aren't.  I have some unused AVRs because the freaking things became obsolete so quickly due to changing video standards from S-Video, to Component, to various iterations of HDMI.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 11:59 PM, brucecampbell said:

It's not perfect, but it works... mostly.

I have two rooms which use the same receiver, I just switch between A or B or A+B when listening to music.

One problem is they are treated as independent sources,
On the odd occasion where I have both rooms playing music at the same time, if I turn off one room, the other room thinks it is still on, but the receiver is off.

Is there a solution here?

The cost of automating this will probably equal the price of a used AVR that u can source for this job, but check these:

https://flow.audio/ Around $180 on Amazon, free DriverCentral C4 driver!

2 hours ago, Amr said:

The cost of automating this will probably equal the price of a used AVR that u can source for this job, but check these:

https://flow.audio/ Around $180 on Amazon, free DriverCentral C4 driver!

Thanks,

I'm happy going down the used AVR option.  I'll get around to it one day.
I have more pressing matters of a new controller and IO right now, given one of my HC800 packed in during our recent storm and power outages.

I was interested to see if there was a quick and easy method already available in C4.

4 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

Thanks,

I have more pressing matters of a new controller and IO right now, given one of my HC800 packed in during our recent storm and power outages.

I was interested to see if there was a quick and easy method already available in C4.

Yeah, an EA is definitely a push forward 😄

11 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

Thanks,

This question gets asked time to time on here and the real true answer is that C4 just doesnt work as intended with the Zone 2 capability of an AVR. People have tried hacks and such but it isnt the same. Sorry.

25 minutes ago, therockhr said:

This question gets asked time to time on here and the real true answer is that C4 just doesnt work as intended with the Zone 2 capability of an AVR. People have tried hacks and such but it isnt the same. Sorry.

Back when you could use IR drivers for receivers, zone 2 wasn’t really an issue if you used another copy of the driver and only made the connections to zone 2 IO’s. 

13 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

Thanks,

When u r done with your Controller upgrade I think you should take a look @ TriadOne, u can source a used one less than $350 and it will provide u with a seamless zone addition to your project.

8 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Back when you could use IR drivers for receivers, zone 2 wasn’t really an issue if you used another copy of the driver and only made the connections to zone 2 IO’s. 

This is how my home is set up.
All three receivers are IR driven
Only one, the Harmon Kardon is 2 zone, zone 1 is the lounge AV, zone 2 is our patio audio. It still takes up two audio outputs from C4 though, as to use zone 2 independently, you need to have a separate analogue audio in.
The zone two driver was a clone, but was essentially stripped right back and re-coded to only use power on/off, volume up/down/mute and source = AUX.

I'm guessing that your comment is referring to receivers now integrating via IP??

I haven't really look at new receivers in the last five years - are they moving away from IR?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.