C4 Forums | Control4

Must Have Hardware

ajd123

2 hours ago, ajd123 said:

The TV remote never goes out of sync or requires a reboot of the EA-5

Either does a properly set up system. The only time I ever reboot my controller is for software updates. Which TV remote do the same thing? Theoretically. They just don't update as often

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Either does a properly set up system. The only time I ever reboot my controller is for software updates. Which TV remote do the same thing? Theoretically. They just don't update as often

I have issues occasionally where audio from stereo receivers stops responding to the remote.  I have a WattBox and use buttons to do the reset from my phone so I don't have to go to the rack.  if the family had to do this, not happening...

4 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

I have issues occasionally where audio from stereo receivers stops responding to the remote.  I have a WattBox and use buttons to do the reset from my phone so I don't have to go to the rack.  if the family had to do this, not happening...

Which receivers? 

3 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

Which receivers? 

Think it has happened with both the DENON AVR-X2700H & SONY STR-DN1080 but to be honest, it has not happened in a long time. 

Don't think it was the receiver, but rather the room where I had different "watch" activities; one to use distributed audio with the video source AND a different "watch" activity to use the television and it's internal audio source.

I think like everything it matters on what is important to you. For example we initially didn't do automatic blinds in the upstairs bedrooms and quickly added them after (luckily my installer preran a bunch of extra cat5e into the attic). Also if you do whole home audio I think video distribution is a very nice to have. I can play my show and if I need to run to another room for a couple minutes I quickly add the audio to the zones and I'm off. I can listen to the TV in any room. We also have a large kitchen and den off the kitchen, without adding the kitchen zone to the den zone I couldn't hear the TV from the kitchen. 

I never thought I would need motion sensors but man you put them in the right spots (especially stairs, bathrooms, etc) and it's so convenient. Also we do when night time the light turns on to like 25% so you don't get blinded at night. Works so well when integrated properly. 

I think some form of voice is helpful (alexa turn on breakfast, dinner, cooking, entertain, etc) is so quick and easy. I can get lights on without taking stuff out of my hands and walking to the TS or my phone or a switch. 

Bond bridge only necessary if you have devices that don't integrate to C4 naturally and do work with bond. 

I also agree in the end that AV integration and being able to combine all the features (lights, AV, shades, door locks, etc) into 1 automation is pretty sweet. Doorbell pressed, pauses my tv changes input to the NVR doorbell cam, if night turns on lights to the front door, turns porch light from 30% (normal night mode) to 100% on a timer to go back after 5 min etc. If "bedtime" is active doorbell does not turn all that on just goes through the phones and TS as normal. 

On 3/12/2023 at 3:40 AM, ajd123 said:

Think it has happened with both the DENON AVR-X2700H & SONY STR-DN1080 but to be honest, it has not happened in a long time. 

Don't think it was the receiver, but rather the room where I had different "watch" activities; one to use distributed audio with the video source AND a different "watch" activity to use the television and it's internal audio source.

Why don’t you use Custom buttons on the rooms that is exposed to those receivers where u can program to reboot them instead of going out of C4, this is a strength of C4 u r missing out!

On 3/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, Neo1738 said:

I think like everything it matters on what is important to you. For example we initially didn't do automatic blinds in the upstairs bedrooms and quickly added them after (luckily my installer preran a bunch of extra cat5e into the attic). Also if you do whole home audio I think video distribution is a very nice to have. I can play my show and if I need to run to another room for a couple minutes I quickly add the audio to the zones and I'm off. I can listen to the TV in any room. We also have a large kitchen and den off the kitchen, without adding the kitchen zone to the den zone I couldn't hear the TV from the kitchen. 

I never thought I would need motion sensors but man you put them in the right spots (especially stairs, bathrooms, etc) and it's so convenient. Also we do when night time the light turns on to like 25% so you don't get blinded at night. Works so well when integrated properly. 

I think some form of voice is helpful (alexa turn on breakfast, dinner, cooking, entertain, etc) is so quick and easy. I can get lights on without taking stuff out of my hands and walking to the TS or my phone or a switch. 

Bond bridge only necessary if you have devices that don't integrate to C4 naturally and do work with bond. 

I also agree in the end that AV integration and being able to combine all the features (lights, AV, shades, door locks, etc) into 1 automation is pretty sweet. Doorbell pressed, pauses my tv changes input to the NVR doorbell cam, if night turns on lights to the front door, turns porch light from 30% (normal night mode) to 100% on a timer to go back after 5 min etc. If "bedtime" is active doorbell does not turn all that on just goes through the phones and TS as normal. 

Motion detectors are great.  Aside from the security benefit, they really help automation shine.

You make some good points regarding Video distribution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 9:36 PM, Andrew luecke said:

So, Obviously I'm biased since I work at Chowmain, but my recommendations at this time would be: 

• Bond Bridge (lots of uses)
  • Bond Sidekicks where beneficial
  • Configurable Keypads everywhere else 
  • Shelly (using our driver of course). Plus / Pro modules if possible (as they're second gen ones)
  • If an alarm is needed, ELK M1 (but with our new 2nd Gen driver which hasn't been officially released yet), or Bosch
  • Lighting would entirely depend on the circumstances , such as whether I went puck based, light bulbs, or other things
  • Our scheduler for managing lighting
  • Unifi for cheap networking. Access Networks for high end
  • Lots of good options for Security cameras
  • It's more expensive, but Big Ass Fans for Ceiling fans (the API is absolutely awesome with these, and they're actually incredibly powerful/configurable. Also, the only support enquiries we get are related to using the old Haiku firmware instead of the newer BAF firmware which replaces the Haiku firmware, so they're reliable)
  • BluStream for video distribution (I was actually using this when I was an installer too)
  • Intesis for HVAC

And then anything else I need for the job

Also, I'd 100% use a Core Controller, Halo, and T4's (I would NOT mount normal tablets to the walls, as I don't like the idea of strapping continuously charging Lithium batteries permanently to a wall). At this point of time, nobody should be installing HC series controllers anymore, and the Core controllers are better long term than the EA ones. if I had the money, CA-10 of course.. 

Also, just to add, there should be om4/5 fibre to all TV's and wifi points at this time. It's cheap, and it futureproofs the system. Ideally, you should be using conduit too 

Are you using the Chowmain driver for BAF? I’m unaware of a native driver or integration existing atm. Although, when talking with BAF support, they seemed to strongly suggest something is coming.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.