C4 Forums | Control4

Must Have Hardware

ajd123

2 hours ago, ajd123 said:

What are some after market hardware components you consider to be "must haves" for your control4 system?

Audio and Video Distribution are key to any C4 implementation and where it standout!

15 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

dying use case - plenty of ways to do it cheaper and less finicky.

Hmm.   Video distribution via big matrix might be dying as a default solution, but I'm curious what you would spec instead of a 32x32 digital/analog audio matrix.   Is there a better way to serve "bread and butter" audio zones (not audiophile or multi channel zones)?

6 hours ago, ajd123 said:

What are some after market hardware components you consider to be "must haves" for your control4 system?

I really like well integrated voice control with Alexa.  Walking into my basement when it is dark and saying "Alexa, basement on" is very helpful.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Modern Form's Fans

Yale Locks

Moen Flo

Google Home

Shelly 1

Aladdin Garage doors

Good suggestions.  I use Alexa (instead of Google Home) and Baldwin (instead of Yale).  I also have a Moen Flow, but have not tied it into the Control4 system.  What would be some benefits of doing this?

Never heard of Shelley 1, Modern Form Fans or Aladdin Garage Doors.  Going to have a look at those.

25 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Aladdin is a garage door opener that is MUCH more friendly with home automation systems than Chamberlain/Liftmaster.

I have liftmaster, but since the garage door alarm contacts are tied into the security system, which is integrated with Control4 I feel like I have all the functionality I need (eg a notification if the door is left open by accident for too long).

The MyQ app works very well, so other than having an actual button to open/close the garage doors from  within the Control4 app (which I think can be achieved with the garage door driver) I’m not sure the benefits?

What would you say is the most useful or convenient automation you do with the garage door?

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

I really like well integrated voice control with Alexa.  Walking into my basement when it is dark and saying "Alexa, basement on" is very helpful.

Agreed, Alexa has made it very easy to have natural phrases to execute routines.  

I am now trying to figure out how to make specific Alexa’s trigger a routine; if someone says Alexa open blinds, it would open the blinds in the room where that Alexa is located opposed to saying “Alexa open kitchen blinds”.

Since you are using the contacts you are good.  C4 can no longer access the MyQ API due to the greed of Chamberlain.

Most useful automation - turn on lights when the garage door opens, either in the garage, or in the house as you can have a "Welcome Home" routine that turns the TV on to your favourite channel, and turns on lights, etc.

You can send a warning at 10pm that you left the garage door open - you could even have it close at that time if open.

You could play a notification in the house over all zones when the garage door opens.  If it is your husband coming home your boyfriend could sneak out that back door.

TP Link driver - awesome that could be very helpful.  Although with voice scenes and Alexa, it has become much easier to create routines that use multiple different providers.  I can have an Alexa routine easily execute a control4 scene and a TP Link plug action.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

You can send a warning at 10pm that you left the garage door open - you could even have it close at that time if open.

I did something better.  For my garage doors and all exterior entry doors I created a timer routine to notify me if anything has been left open for more than 5 minutes (see attached pictures).

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

You could play a notification in the house over all zones when the garage door opens.  If it is your husband coming home your boyfriend could sneak out that back door.

I am not creating programming to encourage the wives infidelity ;)  She does not care about all this amazing automation anyway...

Door Open Timer 1.jpg

Door Open Timer 2.jpg

Door Open Timer 3.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.