C4 Forums | Control4

Must Have Hardware

ajd123

19 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

Awesome, I will have a look.  Guess I'm a little late to the party...

Never too late but will give you literally 100+ ideas

as others said a house is kinda custom. 2 people condo or a 7 bedroom mansion for a family of 6 with a detached 2 room guest house? Different needs.   Ceiling fans aren’t popular by me up North but down South I think they get installed in bedrooms by default.  You see what I mean 

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Never too late but will give you literally 100+ ideas

as others said a house is kinda custom. 2 people condo or a 7 bedroom mansion for a family of 6 with a detached 2 room guest house? Different needs.   Ceiling fans aren’t popular by me up North but down South I think they get installed in bedrooms by default.  You see what I mean 

For sure, but seeing all the ideas allows me to choose what is or is not relevant for my home and lifestyle.  Thanks

So, Obviously I'm biased since I work at Chowmain, but my recommendations at this time would be: 

• Bond Bridge (lots of uses)
  • Bond Sidekicks where beneficial
  • Configurable Keypads everywhere else 
  • Shelly (using our driver of course). Plus / Pro modules if possible (as they're second gen ones)
  • If an alarm is needed, ELK M1 (but with our new 2nd Gen driver which hasn't been officially released yet), or Bosch
  • Lighting would entirely depend on the circumstances , such as whether I went puck based, light bulbs, or other things
  • Our scheduler for managing lighting
  • Unifi for cheap networking. Access Networks for high end
  • Lots of good options for Security cameras
  • It's more expensive, but Big Ass Fans for Ceiling fans (the API is absolutely awesome with these, and they're actually incredibly powerful/configurable. Also, the only support enquiries we get are related to using the old Haiku firmware instead of the newer BAF firmware which replaces the Haiku firmware, so they're reliable)
  • BluStream for video distribution (I was actually using this when I was an installer too)
  • Intesis for HVAC

And then anything else I need for the job

Also, I'd 100% use a Core Controller, Halo, and T4's (I would NOT mount normal tablets to the walls, as I don't like the idea of strapping continuously charging Lithium batteries permanently to a wall). At this point of time, nobody should be installing HC series controllers anymore, and the Core controllers are better long term than the EA ones. if I had the money, CA-10 of course.. 

Also, just to add, there should be om4/5 fibre to all TV's and wifi points at this time. It's cheap, and it futureproofs the system. Ideally, you should be using conduit too 

5 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

You can't delete a comment.. Thats what I mean.. My comment should be deleted

Got it. I always found that a little weird with this forum.  Sometimes I want to delete a post and you cannot do that either.

27 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

So, Obviously I'm biased since I work at Chowmain, but my recommendations at this time would be: 

• Intesis for HVAC

Do you know if this would allow integration of Aprilaire 8920w thermostats into the Control4 system?

10 hours ago, lippavisual said:

No there isn’t, regarding your audio question.

WN just likes to be negative for anything on this site.  I’ve learned to just look over his posts.

Audio and Video distribution still has a mainstay in my business.

I have no doubt it’s a mainstay. I’m sure you manage to convince clients to pay any amount of money for stuff they don’t need. Good for business.  

11 hours ago, cnicholson said:

Hmm.   Video distribution via big matrix might be dying as a default solution, but I'm curious what you would spec instead of a 32x32 digital/analog audio matrix.   Is there a better way to serve "bread and butter" audio zones (not audiophile or multi channel zones)?

I mean primarily that the decentralized/distributed solutions like OTT boxes slapped to the back of the TV or just a Sonos have come so far that it doesn’t make a ton of sense to pay $$ for big distribution solutions except for a small and shrinking set of consumers. 

13 hours ago, zaphod said:

I agree that video distribution is not needed nearly as much, especially if you don't use cable anymore.

I did argued that myself in another thread but rather there are protected or paid sources that still need distribution: cable, satellite, etc these can’t be replicated at every TV, until the industry totally changes to streaming only then and only then VD can RIP

7 hours ago, wnpublic said:

I mean primarily that the decentralized/distributed solutions like OTT boxes slapped to the back of the TV or just a Sonos have come so far that it doesn’t make a ton of sense to pay $$ for big distribution solutions except for a small and shrinking set of consumers. 

Like those who want their TVs in sync across multiple rooms.  Or want TV/video walls.  Or don’t want the look of speakers on shelves.  Or want to back feed TV audio to get tv audio in non TV rooms.   Those are 4 quick examples.  My video distribution system also allows for camera security PiP based in various triggers

you don’t have a use case for those features and that’s fine. But nothing wrong with sharing the ideas with others - be it clients or random end users here

7 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Video streaming has eliminated the need for video distribution.  Especially with the creation of TV Streaming apps like this (https://m.apkpure.com/xfinity-stream/com.xfinity.cloudtvr) where you can use your smart TV as a set top box.  

Audio streaming is a different story.  I love my audio matrix and distributed audio.  Sure you can have 10 Alexa's play across multiple rooms but the sound quality and GUI is nowhere close to what I am getting with control4.  The cost for the audio matrix and amp(s) was not that crazy either.

I know it’s always a back and forth debate, like those that have already responded, but I love having video distribution in my home. A few friends of mine that just started with their systems also went the video distribution route. Nothing wrong with streaming boxes everywhere or Smart TVs, but I really like having everything centralized in one location. I have 11 TVs on a matrix with 7 TVs in my basement setup like a sports bar. Swapping sources between TVs and mirroring screens is great. 

36 minutes ago, Topfox said:

I know it’s always a back and forth debate, like those that have already responded, but I love having video distribution in my home. A few friends of mine that just started with their systems also went the video distribution route. Nothing wrong with streaming boxes everywhere or Smart TVs, but I really like having everything centralized in one location. I have 11 TVs on a matrix with 7 TVs in my basement setup like a sports bar. Swapping sources between TVs and mirroring screens is great. 

Yep, enjoy it as I do ☺️

2 hours ago, Topfox said:

For that type of application (sports bar style) I can see the benefit of a matrix.  Do you need 7 sources (cable boxes for example) to feed the 7 different zones on the video matrix?

18 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

For that type of application (sports bar style) I can see the benefit of a matrix.  Do you need 7 sources (cable boxes for example) to feed the 7 different zones on the video matrix?

If I want each zone on a different cable channel then yes.

For my matrix currently I have 4 cable boxes, 4 fireTV cubes, a NVR, an EA 3 and a Xbox Series X as the sources. On the FireTV cubes I run Plex, an IPTV app, YouTube, and YouTube Kids. I also have the video matrix output audio to an audio matrix so I can put any of the sources on my Video matrix to my distributed audio throughout the house. Think style of I have one tv in “sports bar” that has volume turned on. Generally fine when it’s just me and a few friends. When I have a March madness party it’s like 20-30 folks, so I transition the audio to my ceiling speakers in the “sports bar” instead of using the TV speakers.  I have TVs in the bathroom so makes it easy when I want to mirror content to those TVs. Like if a UFC PPV is on and I don’t want to miss any of the action when using the bathroom. I can easily share the fight with those TVs by just clicking a button or programming. Like I used to say what ever was playing on the main tv play of the bathroom TVs for example in programming. 

It’s also nice that when I’m not using that room I can use any of those devices on the other TVs in my house and outside around where I have another two outdoor TVs. So decreases the amount of FireTV, shields, cable boxes, etc I need to have when I can share all the sources. 

Other problems I’ve found with Smart TVs is I can’t always get the apps I want/need. For example sometimes I bounce around between different IPTV providers and not all of them have apps available directly on the smartTVs. 

Lots of different scenarios. 

1 minute ago, Topfox said:

If I want each zone on a different cable channel then yes.

For my matrix currently I have 4 cable boxes, 4 fireTV cubes, a NVR, an EA 3 and a Xbox Series X as the sources. On the FireTV cubes I run Plex, an IPTV app, YouTube, and YouTube Kids. I also have the video matrix output audio to an audio matrix so I can put any of the sources on my Video matrix to my distributed audio throughout the house. Think style of I have one tv in “sports bar” that has volume turned on. Generally fine when it’s just me and a few friends. When I have a March madness party it’s like 20-30 folks, so I transition the audio to my ceiling speakers in the “sports bar” instead of using the TV speakers.  I have TVs in the bathroom so makes it easy when I want to mirror content to those TVs. Like if a UFC PPV is on and I don’t want to miss any of the action when using the bathroom. I can easily share the fight with those TVs by just clicking a button or programming. Like I used to say what ever was playing on the main tv play of the bathroom TVs for example in programming. 

It’s also nice that when I’m not using that room I can use any of those devices on the other TVs in my house and outside around where I have another two outdoor TVs. So decreases the amount of FireTV, shields, cable boxes, etc I need to have when I can share all the sources. 

Other problems I’ve found with Smart TVs is I can’t always get the apps I want/need. For example sometimes I bounce around between different IPTV providers and not all of them have apps available directly on the smartTVs. 

Lots of different scenarios. 

I would love this, my wife and kids would hate it.  Does your family ever have trouble controlling any of this?

Video distribution is a luxury and anywhere we can integrate it, we do.  

1.  No local equipment allows for a clean installation.  Often, there are zones that you “can’t” hide local equipment (bathrooms, kitchens, etc). 

2.  Minimizes the number of required sources  Roku, Shield, ATV & Plex aren’t crazy expensive sources, but if you add a Kaleidescape or NVR it feels necessary.  Same with rented cable boxes, etc.  

3.  Allows for each display to play the same source (watching the big game while cooking or cleaning the house).  Also great for a party/entertaining with music. All screens can show track playing and cover art for instance.  

4.  Allows for an NVR programmatically to display cameras upon a certain event.  (ie Doorbell press, line crossed, motion sensed). The Snapshot and Room Control Drivers make this pretty simple.  (ie - pause what the display is playing, show the camera or cameras for 15 seconds return to source and pick up where the room was left).  There are ways to do Cameras (OSD via Controllwr behind each display), but it’s limited to Camera sharing and gets very expensive. 

5. Lastly, we distribute audio as a standard.  Aside from cost (which in many cases can be justified - see above), it’s equally a quasi-necessary integration.  And there is always the general fact that you have now a deeper smart integration, which is what we all strive for …budget willing. 

9 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

I would love this, my wife and kids would hate it.  Does your family ever have trouble controlling any of this?

No issues at all with the family being able to run it. I do something’s to make it easier for my daughter for example. I’m her room I limit navigator to only certain sources in the matrix vs all of them.  For example her experience is a single cable box to select vs choosing between the 4 different ones available. This also helps me as well to prevent source stealing without actually locking users out of using the source. With my daughter I always know if she is home my 4th cable box could be in use by her, so I wouldn’t watch something I really want to see on that cable box in case she connected and tried to change the channel on me. 

1 hour ago, ajd123 said:

I sincerely doubt your wife and kids will hate having their own cable box, appleTV (or preferred favourite, heck a different one for their own personal preference) that is named after them to select in whatever room they're watching TV in though.

Central video switching by default is a luxury - and yes with devices being cheaper and cable being less prevalent there is less of an offset in monetary terms - but there are still advantages in doing it. Both in capability and ease of use.

Nothing 'wrong' with going with only local sources (and if you like still have the audio centralized) - but video distribution isn't without it's advantages.In the end about preference and your personal cost vs function choices.

9 hours ago, Amr said:

I did argued that myself in another thread but rather there are protected or paid sources that still need distribution: cable, satellite, etc these can’t be replicated at every TV, until the industry totally changes to streaming only then and only then VD can RIP

Nope. It'll still have a place to ensure multiple TVs are in sync. MORE of a luxury, sure.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

I sincerely doubt your wife and kids will hate having their own cable box, appleTV (or preferred favourite, heck a different one for their own personal preference) that is named after them to select in whatever room they're watching TV in though.

Central video switching by default is a luxury - and yes with devices being cheaper and cable being less prevalent there is less of an offset in monetary terms - but there are still advantages in doing it. Both in capability and ease of use.

Nothing 'wrong' with going with only local sources (and if you like still have the audio centralized) - but video distribution isn't without it's advantages.In the end about preference and your personal cost vs function choices.

Perhaps my integrator did a poor job of simplifying things. 

I am just comparing using a regular stock TV remote (that comes with all smart TVs today that ALSO have voice capability) to a Conrol4 remote where you need to click "Watch" and then select the device or scene.  The TV remote never goes out of sync or requires a reboot of the EA-5.  Even though rebooting is rarely required, it happens from time to time and that does not make the family happy.

I have a hybrid video set up: local sources (mostly just an AppleTV) behind each TV, and then a single "shared" Apple TV that is constantly multicasting a stream to receiver dongles also behind each TV.   Good for having multiple TVs all in sync, and I've never really had a use case where I needed to have, say, three TVs watching one source and a different four TV's watching another.   My NVR has an Apple TV app, so that's how I deal with that (although I do wish I could programmatically launch the Apple TV app and have it show a specific camera or grid of set of cameras). 

8 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

I am just comparing using a regular stock TV remote

Yeah, honestly, if I could get TV factory remotes (or, even better for me, Apple TV remote) to control in-ceiling speaker volume, that would be a great 80/20 solution for me.  I'm sure there's a way.   I should prob try to figure that out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.