C4 Forums | Control4

Core5 Serial Ports Problems

Hello everyone!

I have a Core 5 Contoller in my project and i am having problems with 232 Serial Ports of the device. I spoke to Control4 Support and they suggested me to get a new one. I got the new one and it still have the same problem. Serial Ports do not work, while IR ports and every other device works perfectely.

I tried to connect the 232 serial in an EA3 Controller and they worked OK, so its not wiring problem. The connections are OK too. Also the fact that both Core5 devices were new from the box, makes me think that it can be another setup configuration for Core5 Controller to make the 232 serial ports work.

So, does anyone have the same problem as me and what do you suggest me to do?

Some devices don't work well with a 3-pin connection, but that's not the case here: I've not heard of any particular issues concerning serial on CORE controllers to date. I also highly doubt there's anything different between a Core3 and a Core5 3.5mm ports and chip.

Not saying there isn't anything wrong of course, but I don't see anything beyond the already stated null vs straight settings to try here.

I just got a Core 5 and I’m experiencing the sane issue you described in your post. Had my alarm connected to a EA3 and it has worked fine for years. As soon as I switch everything to the Core 5 the alarm stopped working. I have not had time to call tech support as I plan to do that on Monday. If we are able to resolve it I will let you know. 

On 4/14/2023 at 9:52 PM, TFlury said:

I am guessing you are using the 3.5mm ports if you switched to an EA3 to test it. Did you try hitting the null check box just for S&Gs? I have a Core 5 in a project using both RS232 connections with no issues.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:24 PM, Matt Lowe said:

serial ports are pretty straightforward forward it's either wired correctly and works or it's wired null and needs to be switched. If you are using the combo ports as stated they can be toggle either way.

22 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Some devices don't work well with a 3-pin connection, but that's not the case here: I've not heard of any particular issues concerning serial on CORE controllers to date. I also highly doubt there's anything different between a Core3 and a Core5 3.5mm ports and chip.

Not saying there isn't anything wrong of course, but I don't see anything beyond the already stated null vs straight settings to try here.

17 hours ago, EdC4Tx said:

I just got a Core 5 and I’m experiencing the sane issue you described in your post. Had my alarm connected to a EA3 and it has worked fine for years. As soon as I switch everything to the Core 5 the alarm stopped working. I have not had time to call tech support as I plan to do that on Monday. If we are able to resolve it I will let you know. 

I am using 3.5mm ports. As they are working fine in EA3, i dont think there is any problem in wiring.

Also, 2 brand new Core5 controllers with the same problem seems very strange to me.

I am controlling QMotion Rollers with Null Modem and AV Switch. 

20230414_131657.jpg

Got this issue with the Core 5 controller resolved. If you make the connection to serial 3 in composer the 3.5 mini cable actually needs to be plugged into port 1 on the back of the controller. The same goes for if you make the connection to serial 4 the cable then gets connected to port 2. It’s confusing i know but it worked as soon as they instructed me to do so. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.