C4 Forums | Control4

New Security Panel Recommendation

timmypop

1 minute ago, BDavisNJ said:

My initial preference was Clare simply because of the SnapAv brand and ease of C4 integration.  However, Clare has no ability to accommodate hardwired legacy zones and remain UL compliant (4 wire smokes with sounders).  I think SnapAv is making a mistake by not offering a UL approved method of integrating legacy wired zones.  In any event the IQ Pro looks to be a solid, commercial-grade offering with the promise of connectivity.

Wasn't aware the clare version doesn't have ul certification.

IQpro can be a good choice if you have lots of hardwire zones (more than 40) but in most residential cases, iq4 is enough and then some

10 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

yup assuming verizon has coverage (and you care for back up for monitoring)

Qolsys panels are pure wireless panels (as is the clareone), so if you're looking to use existing wired sensors you'll want a hardwire translator. https://www.alarmgrid.com/products/dsc-pg9wlshw8

you can add expander modules if needed for more zones.

If you want to mount the panel where your current keypad is, you can use the existing wire to send power up. If you have more than one keypad location now and want to keep it, you can use powerg units from DSC or the fancier IQremote panels.

If mu

I was wondering how these panels are powered.  So I could literally buy 1 panel, mount to the wall, power it, and all of the sensors I would install would be talking to that panel?

Also, how are people powering them in locations that have no preexisting security wiring?  

2 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

I was wondering how these panels are powered.  So I could literally buy 1 panel, mount to the wall, power it, and all of the sensors I would install would be talking to that panel?

Also, how are people powering them in locations that have no preexisting security wiring?  

Yep, assuming it's all wireless sensors.

It comes with it's own powersupply (which you use to power it over existing wire too, don't use your old panel's powersupply) and long wire: you could drop it down a wall (in front of it, or if hollow inside it) above an outlet, or heck get a stand for it and have it desk/cabinet mounted.

As far as a monitoring company, should there be any issue with doing a customer install of the panel/sensors and then just finding a monitoring service or has anyone had issues with monitoring companies wanting to install their own equipment?

3 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

As far as a monitoring company, should there be any issue with doing a customer install of the panel/sensors and then just finding a monitoring service or has anyone had issues with monitoring companies wanting to install their own equipment?

If you are doing an IQ then you will need to register the panel with a vendor before you can go very far with setting it up. These aren't like old skool dialup systems. The cell service is included in the service.

5 hours ago, Shoe said:

If you are doing an IQ then you will need to register the panel with a vendor before you can go very far with setting it up. These aren't like old skool dialup systems. The cell service is included in the service.

No you have to ENTER dealer info to finish setup....it doesn't actually have to exist. Just requires a set name and phone number to call,....

Monitoring of IQ panels is done via alarm.com. SOME companies can be picky, most regional ones should be happy to pick you up.

You can also find a local alarm.com installer to just setup alarm.com for self monitoring (maybe you can do that yourself? not sure never really looked into that)

I use Surety and self monitor. I self monitor because I'm still adding to the system and my city charges for false alarms.

Self monitoring is Alarm.com, but you you can buy it through multiple vendors that also provide the managed aspect if you choose it.

Really testing the system and ensuring the ADC features are functional etc does require the service. Most of the services are not contract based, but I see that coming with some of the PowerG+ changes arriving soon that helps with installer lock in etc. For now you can sub for a small amount of money and terminate whenever you like. Most of the services allow you do add and remove product features a la cart. I added 1 hour managed and cameras. Not in love with the doorbell cameras, but they work and do the AI person recognition and package recognition and removal events. Another add-on is automation for things like switches.

I should also add that there is one tip that is worth its weight in bitcoin. Turn off the extreme weather alert for the siren. A tornado warning sets off the siren and it will continue if you do not dismiss it. But the problem is that it's not an event on ADC so if you aren't home and you have pets or neighbors you wont know its sounding and it would be torture for the animals.

• 2 weeks later...

@Cyknight is anyone using the IQPro with Control4?  I thought I saw a few users on this board recommend IQ Pro; however, the tech support tells me that the IQ Pro is not yet compatible with C4 until a new driver is released later this month?  If anyone knows differently, please tell me what driver you are using.  Thank you in advance

3 hours ago, BDavisNJ said:

@Cyknight is anyone using the IQPro with Control4?  I thought I saw a few users on this board recommend IQ Pro; however, the tech support tells me that the IQ Pro is not yet compatible with C4 until a new driver is released later this month?  If anyone knows differently, please tell me what driver you are using.  Thank you in advance

I am using it with the available driver and it has worked flawlessly. I replaced my DSC Neo because I wanted C4 integration AND monitoring. 

3 hours ago, C4 User said:

I am using it with the available driver and it has worked flawlessly. I replaced my DSC Neo because I wanted C4 integration AND monitoring. 

I would love to hear about your process of replacing a DSC Neo with IQ Pro. I invested a significant amount of time, energy and $$ in DSC Neo but wouldn’t mind considering an upgrade in the future. 

I’m not super familiar with IQ Pro but seems like it’s built on top of Neo? Anyway, I don’t want to hijack the thread but please consider a post about your experience. 

@C4 UserThank you.  Your experience gives me confidence to move forward with the integration.  Could you provide a link to any documents that detail the integration and the specific driver that you used (I suspect that you used the built in driver called IQ 2. Search for Qolsys, with the capital Q).

1 hour ago, BDavisNJ said:

@C4 UserThank you.  Your experience gives me confidence to move forward with the integration.  Could you provide a link to any documents that detail the integration and the specific driver that you used (I suspect that you used the built in driver called IQ 2. Search for Qolsys, with the capital Q).

The driver used in my system is the IQPanel2 driver that is available in the standard C4 driver database. I am not aware of any IQPro specific driver but if it comes out I will consider the switch - depending on benefits since my current driver is working flawlessly.

I installed the IQPro panel myself. All zones that were going directly to my main DSC Neo board I transferred to the IQPro board. I was able to simply wire the corbus to all my zone extenders and did not have to rewire the majority of my 80+ hardwire zones. The PowerG is built into the IQPro so I was able to eliminate the external PowerG (just make sure you get the right frequency for your existing system as they offer 3 options here). Although I do not think it was necessary, I did change out my keypads to those recommended for the IQPro.

Setup was pretty straight forward using the IQ App on iPhone. The only documents I used were those available from DSC for the IQPro panel which you can get directly from their website (I did and I am DIY). I must admit the configuration was very limited in comparison to the DSC Neo - but that said, it was sufficient for what I needed.

Regarding integrating the IQPro into C4, search this forum as there is guidance on how to do it. One key is to change the codes from 4 to 6 digits. And make sure you have the Dealer, Installer and Master codes (for your C4 dealer) if you have your IQPro panel professionally installed.

Question on considering the Clare system, is there just one main panel touchscreen CLR-C1-PNL1 and then any additional touchscreen panels are the auxiliary CLR-C1-ATP type or can you use the CLR-C1-PNL1 as multiple additional panels?  Based on my reading it sounds like you can only have one main panel and the rest of the panels have to be the auxiliary CLR-C1-ATP?

One more Clare question, since Composer HE is currently broken and I cannot use it to do any programming until the recent update is fixed, I'm wondering if when sensors are added to a ClareOne security panel, those sensors are also seen as individual sensors in Composer and can be used to trigger actions as I used to do with my old GE Concord4 system (ie garage door opens, lights in house come on..... system arms to stay, certain lights turn on /off....etc)

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

To use zones as event triggers, you need to get generic sensors bound to the appropriate zone in the security system.

This is the same across ANY alarm panel driver, and yes the Clare will support that.

I seem to remember now in my old GE Concord the sensors were listed in Composer but it makes sense that the icon/generic dummy sensors be bound to a specific sensor and a positive triggering could then be programmed to an event such as when opening a door, sensor says open, Composer programming says if door open then turn on this light.....

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone who has integrated C4 with the IQ Pro security panel comment on the experience?  Specifically,
  a) what driver are you using? (I see from the above a legacy DSC Neo driver will work; however, DSC support tells me that a IQpro-specific driver is on the way)
  b) any best practices or recommendations during the integration that are not immediately obvious? (the above comments regarding 6 digit codes is helpful)
  c) can PGM 1, 3, or 4 be manually set for "sensor reset" to accommodate 4 wire smokes (PGM2 automatically defaults, apparently)
  d) is an RM1/RM2 power loop relay required EOL on each run of 4-wire smokes?
thank you

3 hours ago, BDavisNJ said:

Can anyone who has integrated C4 with the IQ Pro security panel comment on the experience?  Specifically,
  a) what driver are you using? (I see from the above a legacy DSC Neo driver will work; however, DSC support tells me that a IQpro-specific driver is on the way)
  b) any best practices or recommendations during the integration that are not immediately obvious? (the above comments regarding 6 digit codes is helpful)
  c) can PGM 1, 3, or 4 be manually set for "sensor reset" to accommodate 4 wire smokes (PGM2 automatically defaults, apparently)
  d) is an RM1/RM2 power loop relay required EOL on each run of 4-wire smokes?
thank you

a) use the IQ2 driver not the DSC Neo driver.

b) only the 6 digit code and make sure you know the dealer, installer, and master codes.

c) I would assume you can use PGM 1, 3, 4 for manual sensor reset, but I am only a user and one of the dealers may know for sure.

d) I think so, but I am not a 100% positive if I installed the EOL on each smoke. You also need the power reversing relay so you trigger all smokes if one goes off.

Edited by C4 User

ok, an update as I just got off the phone with Quolsys Level II technical support.

1. an official, certified IQpro specific driver is in the works and will be announced (via technical bulletin shortly) with in "a few weeks at most"
  2. for those of us who use 4-wire smokes and have a total of >300mA of smokes (each smoke is about 25mA in alarm status, so 300mA = c12 smokes)
    1. starting with firmware 04.02.03, adding a HSM2204, high voltage PGM outboard will permit the installer to select 4 additional "sensor reset" PGMs
    2. each of the PGMs on the HSM2204 board will function identically to the default PGM2 on the main IQpro panel

• 2 weeks later...

@C4 User and @Cyknight I just completed setting up the physical equipment for the IQPro and aim to activate the panel this week.  In reviewing these messages, a few users suggested that the C4 integration was only possible if a particular touchscreen was connected to the IQPro.   However in a follow-up thread, concerns about needing a touchscreen seem to be discounted.  I am not quite sure.

Can either of you, please: advise if a touchscreen is needed (and if so, what specific model you selected)?

kind regards.