C4 Forums | Control4

Is there a free / built-in variable for "Today's high/low temp forecast?"

cnicholson

Question

T4's show this data on weather screen, but i can't find in Composer.  Maybe that screen is like an HTML5 app and not really "in the system?"  Or maybe they don't expose or maybe (most likely) it's there but I can't find it. 😉

If not, what 3rd party drivers offer this ability.  For now, my needs are simple: If today's high will be >X degrees, then close shade groups as the get direct sunlight (I would implement via schedules I guess and just do nothing if forecast is below my trigger point).   I have a Tempest weather station, but driver I saw seems pricey ($250) for my simple needs.  I think internet weather would be good enough for this.

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, cnicholson said:

T4's show this data on weather screen, but i can't find in Composer.  Maybe that screen is like an HTML5 app and not really "in the system?"  Or maybe they don't expose or maybe (most likely) it's there but I can't find it. 😉

If not, what 3rd party drivers offer this ability.  For now, my needs are simple: If today's high will be >X degrees, then close shade groups as the get direct sunlight (I would implement via schedules I guess and just do nothing if forecast is below my trigger point).   I have a Tempest weather station, but driver I saw seems pricey ($250) for my simple needs.  I think internet weather would be good enough for this.

I don’t know if there is a built-in C4 variable for this. However, failing that, the Chowmain OpenWeather Agent would be able to do what you are looking for.

40 minutes ago, c4toys said:

web view driver, I grab the 7 day forecast

Can you elaborate?  I looked it the "Web View Sample" driver and it seems to just take a URL with no apparent way to screen scrape for data and pop into variables.  What am I missing?

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

There is the free weather driver. Try that 

Thanks.  Got it.   This has a CurrentTemperature variable-- so maybe that's good enough for my purpose.  I'll just have to manually guesstimate what "too hot" is with reference to the rough time of day it is when sun is about to shine through particular windows.   

Driver has device variables FORECAST_NEXT (tomorrow?) and FORECAST_NOW (today?) but they seem to be text type (or at least not numbers) since conditions allow only = or != and not over/under conditions.

Meh, as I think about it, I'll just buy a driver.  Thank you though!

On 7/15/2023 at 9:27 AM, cnicholson said:

What did you end up using? I think this is a great idea. We have four shades that I would like to set up to not open if, say, the day high temp will be over 90 degrees. 

17 hours ago, BY96 said:

What did you end up using?

I did the Tempest driver.  It has exactly the variable I wanted: Today's forecast High (F).  I haven't implemented programming yet (just got back from being out of town).   There's a rigorous way of using math to determine when sun will  shine into particular windows, but I plan to just use estimated offsets after sunrise.  I might also try to use light sensors.  I think I saw somewhere that C4 keypads have a built in light meter,  so I might be able to leverage some of those if the happen to be in the right spot.  Or I might add light meters.  We have over 100 shades, so it will take some work to dial them all in-- although I'll group them to make it easier.

I also think Lutron has an fully automated system geared at office buildings, but I imagine it is too pricey for casual use.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:50 AM, msgreenf said:

There is the free weather driver. Try that 

What is the free option? I found Chowmain's Open Weather Agent for a fee but am curious about the free option. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.