C4 Forums | Control4

Multi button keypad issues after power goes out and comes back.

2 hours ago, penn65000 said:

Backup gen is clean. Modern Generagen and no other electronics are impacted. 

I'm assuming that means generac gen (?)

Unless you have an inverter on it (or after it), I assure you the power is not "clean". 

41 minutes ago, SpencerT said:

I'm assuming that means generac gen (?)

Unless you have an inverter on it (or after it), I assure you the power is not "clean". 

Generac guardian 20kw whole home. Clean power. When it is running is seems cleaner than coned wrt drop outs. 

51 minutes ago, penn65000 said:

Generac guardian 20kw whole home. Clean power. When it is running is seems cleaner than coned wrt drop outs. 

Guardian is not an inverter generator.

Not knocking it, I have one as well, but I can assure you the power isn't "clean". What's behind it protecting those keypads?

The problem is that the power cycles extremely quickly when switching to/from the backup generator. Because of this, the keypad does not completely lose power before powering back on. It gets stuck in a weird “half awake” state. I had this happen to every keypad in my house. I don’t have a backup generator; it was due to a power flicker from the electrical grid. 

The good news is that it’s very easy to fix. At the breaker box, turn off the breakers for about 10 seconds, then turn them back on, without activating backup power. The switches will resume normal behavior. 

5 hours ago, penn65000 said:

With Lutron too? We have another home with same gen but newer C4 multibutton wireless and this doesn’t happen. 

I can’t speak to Lutron as we don’t work with it, just with C4 lighting. It’s fairly rare, over the course of a decade we’ve noticed it seems to only happen on sites that have generators, new, old, big, small, it doesn’t mater

2 hours ago, BXTR said:

I can’t speak to Lutron as we don’t work with it, just with C4 lighting. It’s fairly rare, over the course of a decade we’ve noticed it seems to only happen on sites that have generators, new, old, big, small, it doesn’t mater

Thank you. 

On 10/8/2023 at 9:20 PM, SpencerT said:

Guardian is not an inverter generator.

Not knocking it, I have one as well, but I can assure you the power isn't "clean". What's behind it protecting those keypads?

Can you send a link to a whole house inverter generator? Will help me understand. We have whole house surge protector and our generator delivers alternative current so not sure what is being inverted. Thx. 

A generator is a gas engine. It changes speed based on load, fuel, air quality etc, thus the output AC is going to be 'dirty', or fluctuate.
A simple appliance or incandescent bulb doesn't care. BUT, since the whole conservation era and devices using less power, more devices then ever DO care, smaller electronics power supplies can't store and smooth the power like the old days.

An inverter 'cleans' the power, doing a DC to AC conversion, to produce a more stable AC sinewave with less distortion and thus less fluctuations.
Which your modern electronics and lighting require since they use the sinewave cycle for timing amongst other things.

The short time between grid and generator coming online is the critical moment, when it all goes bad. (Or grid brownouts, where the voltage drops)

The lawyers for generators don't allow for simple indications of the type of output, and result in "electronics friendly" type marketing terms.

All of the above, also applies to UPS battery backups and their ability to provide electronics friendly output.

18 hours ago, RAV said:

A generator is a gas engine. It changes speed based on load, fuel, air quality etc, thus the output AC is going to be 'dirty', or fluctuate.
A simple appliance or incandescent bulb doesn't care. BUT, since the whole conservation era and devices using less power, more devices then ever DO care, smaller electronics power supplies can't store and smooth the power like the old days.

An inverter 'cleans' the power, doing a DC to AC conversion, to produce a more stable AC sinewave with less distortion and thus less fluctuations.
Which your modern electronics and lighting require since they use the sinewave cycle for timing amongst other things.

The short time between grid and generator coming online is the critical moment, when it all goes bad. (Or grid brownouts, where the voltage drops)

The lawyers for generators don't allow for simple indications of the type of output, and result in "electronics friendly" type marketing terms.

All of the above, also applies to UPS battery backups and their ability to provide electronics friendly output.

Ty. Where do I get whole house inverter generator?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.