C4 Forums | Control4

Rack Computer

I am setting up a new C4 based system and would like to have a computer running in the rack to permit more access for programming, etc. I was thinking of just keeping a cheap windows laptop on rack shelf which seem can be made to stay on even when lid is closed. Have others done this and worked well or other recommendations?

1 hour ago, nxr said:

I am setting up a new C4 based system and would like to have a computer running in the rack to permit more access for programming, etc. I was thinking of just keeping a cheap windows laptop on rack shelf which seem can be made to stay on even when lid is closed. Have others done this and worked well or other recommendations?

It would work, although I’d make sure to get a pull out rack shelf so you aren’t trying to squeeze into the rack with your hands/arms to type. 

In a more traditional IT type scenario they have rack mount pull out Keyboard/Monitors that fold down like a laptop and will take up like 1U or 2U and then connect to a server mounted in the rack. That would probably be over kill for what you want to do though. 

1 hour ago, nxr said:

I use a dell poweredge 1U server for this. It also runs all my BI security. If you have it on rails you can even pull it out if needed. It acts as a good monitor/keyboard/mouse shelf too. Works good. 

Or go virtual machines. Many use a local 'admin station' that has access to all vlans (for e.g.) which means you can VNC/RDP into that station to carry out config changes. Making this hardware is also fine (even if a laptop) but most prefer to use equipment with out-of-band access in case of hardware crashes.

I use AnyDesk to remote into a current home but not familiar with this. Is it better?

• Or go virtual machines. Many use a local 'admin station' that has access to all vlans (for e.g.) which means you can VNC/RDP into that station to carry out config changes. Making this hardware is also fine (even if a laptop) but most prefer to use equipment with out-of-band access in case of hardware crashes.

15 hours ago, jillmark99 said:

I use a dell poweredge 1U server for this. It also runs all my BI security. If you have it on rails you can even pull it out if needed. It acts as a good monitor/keyboard/mouse shelf too. Works good. 

What model you use? I’m not familiar with servers, will they run windows and allow me to use AnyDesk?i

7 hours ago, nxr said:
22 hours ago, Popolou said:

Or go virtual machines. Many use a local 'admin station' that has access to all vlans (for e.g.) which means you can VNC/RDP into that station to carry out config changes. Making this hardware is also fine (even if a laptop) but most prefer to use equipment with out-of-band access in case of hardware crashes.

I use AnyDesk to remote into a current home but not familiar with this. Is it better?

It has its benefits but i suppose if you have not come to find the need for it, perhaps it'll be unnecessary. Remoting into a single PC without the complexity may well be enough in some applications.

11 hours ago, nxr said:

What model you use? I’m not familiar with servers, will they run windows and allow me to use AnyDesk?i

I use an older one a Poweredge 860. I run windows 10 Pro on it with no issues. I’m not familiar with AnyDesk so I can’t comment on that. 

I depends what you want to use that computer for.  Do you want to have a fileserver at home?

I have a rack mounted PC in my rack that is my home server.  It runs unRAID, which is a Linux variant that is targeted at NAS-type systems, but it also acts as my media server runs a bunch of applications in Docker containers, like the Unifi controller, Plex, PiHole, SageTV.  It also runs a Windows VM plus some Linux distro VMs that I play around with.

Thank you. I really only need it to run composer, Lutron and similar software that runs on windows as I use Mac’s otherwise. Maybe a small NCU and a pullout keyboard / display (used on eBay) is what I’m thinking

53 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Do Mac's have a Remote Desktop Client?  Then why not just use your Mac to RDP into the Windows PC.  You don't really need a keyboard or monitor once it is setup.

Yes you can

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Do Mac's have a Remote Desktop Client?  Then why not just use your Mac to RDP into the Windows PC.  You don't really need a keyboard or monitor once it is setup.

Up until ~1 week ago I used to access my Win PC via RD on a Mac without issues.  I moved some things around by my rack, and in my home office, and now the PC resides in my office so I can just use the same monitor + MX Key/Mouse and use the Mac or the WinPC at my desk.  But yeah for a long while I was just using RD.  Its helpful as RD also works on an iPad so I can use Composer HE on my iPad if I am moving around my house testing things

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.