C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer

Amal

Question

When I connected light driver which have only function as on and off(not dimming) is connected to Adaptive phase dimmer , is it work as ON and Off  in keypad.

We already connected all type of lights to our dimmer but the problem was only want to dimm 2 type of light ( chandelier and wall light) and all other lights  are not dimmer driver so my question  is it work as ON and OFF through adaptive phase dimmer?

15 answers to this question

Bit of a rough piece of text there.

1) You're simply wanting to have certain lights be full on or off: if so, the dimmer can be set to have a minimum on of 99% and a short ramp time of 250ms. This will make it act like a switch 'feel' wise especially from it's own buttons and keypads (but it will still show the dimmer slider on touchscreens etc.)

2) You have devices that cannot be dimmed:

2a) These devices are motors: you MUST replace the dimmers

2b) These devices are non-dimmable LEDs. You MAY get away with what was done under point 1), if that doesn't work, you will need to replace with switches.

@RyanE  I also have a dimming question, please, and would be appreciative of your thoughts: When using a C4-DIN-8TV-E to control 0-10V lighting, the C4 technical documents outline two options to consider when separate on/off control is required.  The first is a C4 Relay Module (C4-DIN-8REL-E1) and the second is external relays.  This makes sense and our experience in using external relays is excellent.  Our question, please: can a channel on a C4-DIN-8DIM-E be set to ON/OFF and be used in place of a channel on the C4 Relay Module (C4-DIN-8REL-E1)?  If so, please advise on the Composer Pro settings so my dealer can mate the channel controlling the load on the C4-DIN-8TV-E and the C4-DIN-8DIM-E.  Thank you

Edited by BDavisNJ
typo

4 hours ago, BDavisNJ said:

@RyanE  Our question, please: can a channel on a C4-DIN-8DIM-E be set to ON/OFF and be used in place of a channel on the C4 Relay Module (C4-DIN-8REL-E1)?  If so, please advise on the Composer Pro settings so my dealer can mate the channel controlling the load on the C4-DIN-8TV-E and the C4-DIN-8DIM-E.  Thank you

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the dimming modules, and even less about 0-10V control.

Sorry.

RyanE

9 hours ago, BDavisNJ said:

@RyanE  I also have a dimming question, please, and would be appreciative of your thoughts: When using a C4-DIN-8TV-E to control 0-10V lighting, the C4 technical documents outline two options to consider when separate on/off control is required.  The first is a C4 Relay Module (C4-DIN-8REL-E1) and the second is external relays.  This makes sense and our experience in using external relays is excellent.  Our question, please: can a channel on a C4-DIN-8DIM-E be set to ON/OFF and be used in place of a channel on the C4 Relay Module (C4-DIN-8REL-E1)?  If so, please advise on the Composer Pro settings so my dealer can mate the channel controlling the load on the C4-DIN-8TV-E and the C4-DIN-8DIM-E.  Thank you

I believe the driver is set up to just use the relay module. but through some programming, you could use the dimmer I'm sure. 

On 1/30/2024 at 12:30 PM, Amal said:

When I connected light driver which have only function as on and off(not dimming) is connected to Adaptive phase dimmer , is it work as ON and Off  in keypad.

We already connected all type of lights to our dimmer but the problem was only want to dimm 2 type of light ( chandelier and wall light) and all other lights  are not dimmer driver so my question  is it work as ON and OFF through adaptive phase dimmer?

can you send a screen shot of what you are looking at?

23 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Pretty sure you shouldn't be using a DIMMER to control the line power to a 0-10v device.....

I don't think that's exactly what they're proposing, but I couldn't figure out enough to make an intelligent comment on the post...  :)

I think it's something like using the 0-10, but getting 'full off' by using the dimmer instead of a switch.

In any case, probably not something to do.

RyanE

15 hours ago, RyanE said:

I don't think that's exactly what they're proposing, but I couldn't figure out enough to make an intelligent comment on the post...  :)

I think it's something like using the 0-10, but getting 'full off' by using the dimmer instead of a switch.

In any case, probably not something to do.

RyanE

BDavisNJ is asking....

Since a Dimmer8 can have a load set to be non-dimmable/switched, can he use that setting for the 'relay' portion of a 0-10v circuit rather than specing in Relay8?

For instance, lets say you have two 0-10v circuits in a project and you've spec'd a 0-10v module to handle them, and you've got two spare Dimmer8 circuits leftover in the project, could you use those rather than add the cost of a Relay8 for the two needed 0-10v relays.

3 hours ago, RAV said:

BDavisNJ is asking....

Since a Dimmer8 can have a load set to be non-dimmable/switched, can he use that setting for the 'relay' portion of a 0-10v circuit rather than specing in Relay8?

For instance, lets say you have two 0-10v circuits in a project and you've spec'd a 0-10v module to handle them, and you've got two spare Dimmer8 circuits leftover in the project, could you use those rather than add the cost of a Relay8 for the two needed 0-10v relays.

Yes the question is understood, the answer still is that even with a non-dimmable load attached, the dimmer module (output) is still NOT a switch and shouldn't be used for connections that should not be on a dimmere (vs a load that you don't WANT to dim or an LED that isn't dimmable)

@Cyknight @RAV  Thank you both for your responses.  From the above discussion, @Cyknight asserts that setting a C4-DIN-8DIM-E channel to Off/ON is not the functional equivalent of a channel on a C4-DIN-8REL-E1.  And that the Off/ On setting is more of an accommodation for dimmable lights that the user chooses not to dim or a LED that is not dimmable. 

The question remains: is a 0-10v LED simply a LED that is not dimmable?

I would never think of putting a high amp motor on a C4-DIN-8DIM-E; 100w of lighting is within specification.

@Matt Lowe I used your suggestion.  The line voltage is wired to a panalized dimmer and the binding hidden.  The 0-10v binding is visible.  Programming turns on the hidden light when the relay on the C4-DIN-8TV-E activates.

BDavisNJ,

I suspect that because the power handling is quite low when the Dim8 has a channel set as a 'non-dimmable load', it's ignored for use that way to avoid people putting any significant load on it.
The Dim8 for a motor is only 1/8 HP vs 1 HP for a Relay8 for example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.