C4 Forums | Control4

Best Roku driver

Could wire up a remote. My aftermarket remote start on my Mercedes uses an embedded keyfob. No reason you couldn't do something similar with a poe sip speaker or TTS device etc. Not pretty but where there is a will...

image.png.54ffcaba8aa8fd9b27a0083ce009d82f.png

19 hours ago, Shoe said:

Could wire up a remote. My aftermarket remote start on my Mercedes uses an embedded keyfob. No reason you couldn't do something similar with a poe sip speaker or TTS device etc. Not pretty but where there is a will...

I think you're missing the point of what I'm asking for.

I want to be able to make the Roku driver work like the AppleTV and/or Comcast Xfinity X1 drivers, to allow the Control4 remote to be used in place of the native remote.

I'm not looking for a hacked hardware solution for a single system, I want a legitimate software solution for *every* system.

RyanE

52 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I think you're missing the point of what I'm asking for.

Not really. Acknowledging it and trying to look for a solution. I guess I could have +1'd you. How is Josh.ai handling it? Are they speech to text and then guessing at the intents and translating it into the deep link api?

4 hours ago, Shoe said:

Not really. Acknowledging it and trying to look for a solution. I guess I could have +1'd you. How is Josh.ai handling it? Are they speech to text and then guessing at the intents and translating it into the deep link api?

I disagree that it's OK to tell installers (or homeowners) to tear apart a manufacturer's remote as a solution.

As far as Josh.ai, yep, basically.

They're converting it to text with their own engine, then using Roku's Text Search API call.

RyanE

1 minute ago, RyanE said:

I disagree that it's OK to tell installers (or homeowners) to tear apart a manufacturer's remote as a solution.

Not sure I said that though. I don't really disagree with that. I think it's simply possible. We do all sorts of software things to glue things together in a platform like C4. Doing the same with the hardware really isn't a stretch. IR bugs aren't really all that different are they?

Looks like Roku search depends on some services like:

https://universalsearch.io/how-it-works/

https://www.nielsen.com/data-center/gracenote-id/

Those help to standardize the metadata. I wonder if a party could subscribe to their data to run their own searches to then make the deep link roku calls rather than running Roku search and navigating on device. They obviously have a db of all (most?) of the content.

But yea, I agree it would be nice to have the voice api.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.