C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Konnected BlaQ driver for Chamberlain / Liftmaster integration

Posted (edited)

signature-logo

Overview

Konnected’s new Smart Garage Door Opener blaQ picks up where myQ dropped the ball — making your Garage Door Opener Smart again with local, cloud-optional integration with your favorite smart home platforms. Designed for Chamberlain/LiftMaster garage door openers with yellow, red, orange, blue, purple, or brown learn button, including those with myQ built-in.

It can control the door and report back the actual status of the door (closed, opening, open, closing). For Security + 2.0 door openers, the obstruction sensors, light, wireless lockout and even motion sensing are also integrated.

Note some models outside of the US may not be compatible with Konnected BlaQ. Please reach out to Konnected to confirm compatibility before purchase.

As a local based integration if there is internet disruptions you will still have control / feedback over your garage door through Control4.

Driver Features

• IP Control
  • Light Proxy for Garage Door Light
  • Auto install / Binding of official Control4 proxies for Garage Door, Motion Sensor, IR Beam and Lock drivers.
  • Support for 'Relay Garage Door Controller (OS2.9+)' driver for fully open, open, closed states.
  • Control
    • Garage Door Open
    • Garage Door Close
    • Garage Door Position
    • Garage Door Stop
    • Light On
    • Light Off
    • Light Toggle
    • Wireless Remote Lock
    • Wireless Remote Unlock
    • Wireless Remote Toggle
    • Play Sound
    • Pre Close Warning
  • Feedback
    • Garage Door Open
    • Garage Door Opening
    • Garage Door Close
    • Garage Door Closing
    • Motion Sensing (if wall control panel has motion detector built in)
    • Obstruction (if Obstruction Detector IR/PE Beams installed)
    • Light State
    • Wireless Remote Lock State
  • Automatic Push and Email Notifications On
    • Garage Door Open
    • Garage Door Close
    • Garage Door Still Open (variable time defined in driver properties)
  • Button Bindings
    • Garage Door Toggle
    • Garage Door Open
    • Garage Door Close
    • Garage Light Toggle
    • Garage Light On
    • Garage Light Off
    • Remote Control Lock Toggle
    • Remote Control Lock
    • Remote Control Unlock

FAQ

Why is this product so exciting?

• Works with Chamberlain/LiftMaster garage door openers with yellow, red, orange, blue, purple, or brown learn button, including those with myQ built-in (Note some models outside of the US may not be compatible with Konnected BlaQ. Please reach out to Konnected to confirm compatibility before purchase.)
  • Only three wires and a power adapter to connect for the most simple installation
  • Mounts directly on the garage door opener or supports
  • Opens and closes the garage and reads the door status directly from the unit (no sensor needed!)
  • Senses, opens, and closes the garage to a specific level. Example: open 10%
  • Controls and reports the status of the garage door opener light
  • Reports the status of the garage door opener’s obstruction sensor
  • Reports motion detection in the garage (requires a wall control panel with a built-in motion detector such as the 889LM)
  • Wireless remote lock-out capability – automate disabling and enabling the wireless remotes for the garage door opener

How do i comply with UL 325?

The Konnected GDO blaQ is designed to meet the requirements of UL 325 and related United States safety regulations concerning the unattended operation of a residential garage door. The device features a customizable and built-in audible and visual pre-close warning that is automatically initiated by the hardware, so no action is required by the integrator when automated through this driver.

What garage doors will this work on?

Works with Chamberlain/LiftMaster garage door openers with yellow, red, orange, blue, purple, or brown learn button, including those with myQ built-in

Note some models outside of the US may not be compatible with Konnected BlaQ. Please reach out to Konnected to confirm compatibility before purchase.

How does the motion sensors and obstruction sensors work?

• Motion detection requires a wall control panel with a built in motion detector such as the 889LM.
  • Obstruction Status requires Obstruction Detection Beams be installed. This can be purchased from the garage door manufacturer.
  • The Konnected BlaQ driver will automatically install the motion sensor portion and obstruction portions. If these are not available on your product configuration then please delete the motion sensor driver or irbeam driver from your project.

What is the remote control lock?

This feature allows you to disable the RF remote control from controlling the garage door. This is useful if the car is parked outdoors or if it is loaned out to someone whom the homeowner does not want to give access to the garage to.

Help i cannot use my garage door RF remote anymore.

You have locked the remote control. Unlock it via the driver or via the Konnected BlaQ web server.

How do i install Konnected BlaQ hardware?

Please see link below instructions. Take note that you need to pre-install the ESPHome firmware as per instructions below.

How does the Control4 driver talk to Konnected BlaQ?

The driver will communicate to Konnected BlaQ via IP. Please ensure that the Konnected BlaQ is put on a static or reserved ip address.

Do i need to install reed switches for garage door position feedback?

Konnected BlaQ provides full two way feedback on the motor position. As such we know at any time if it is fully open, partially open or fully closed. As such no reed switches are required.

Where can i purchase Konnected BlaQ?

This driver is designed to work with Konnected BlaQ with the ESPHome firmware installed. You can order the hardware from the following website

Do you offer any other cool drivers?

Control4 is a major part of our business. We develop new drivers all the time. You can see all of our drivers on our website (http://www.chowmainsoft.com). Sign up to our newsletter to get notified when new drivers out.

I want to try this driver out before buying it?

All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 90 day trial.

Where can i find out more?

You can find out more about the driver from the following link.

Driver Product Page

control4 - konnected blaq

Edited by alanchow

44 minutes ago, cnicholson said:

Sounds very similar to the Ratgdo.  Any differences in the capabilities of the hardware or C4 driver?

It is RATGDO source code, in a box, with a light and sounder premovement built in.

This is a snippet from konnecteds FAQ on their BlaQ product page 

Why choose Konnected’s GDO blaQ instead of ratgdo?

ratgdo (Rage Against the Garage Door Opener) is the open source project that inspired and powers the Konnected’s GDO blaQ. It’s a DIY control board and software that pioneered the direct serial connection to the encrypted Security+ openers. We’ve taken the concept and technology in ratgdo and made it into a finished product, suitable for installation in any home, and compliant with regulations in the United States. We’ve added safety features like an audible and visual warning, a sleek plastic enclosure, integrations with a variety of smart home platforms, 7-days per week support and a 1-year warranty.

Yes, the GDO blaQ costs a few dollars more than a ratgdo board. We are not competing on price with the original ratgdo. We believe that the GDO blaQ justifies the higher price because of the additional compliance, safety, support and integration features

Sounds like a nice driver but after getting SCREWED with the dropped driver support of MyQ after paying money for it I am not so inclined. The I/O module that I already had and now  hard wired to my garage door was free, not cloud based, works 100% of the time and don't have to worry about getting dropped. Ok, just bitter from the bad experience :<

3 hours ago, Olichops said:

Sounds like a nice driver but after getting SCREWED with the dropped driver support of MyQ after paying money for it I am not so inclined. The I/O module that I already had and now  hard wired to my garage door was free, not cloud based, works 100% of the time and don't have to worry about getting dropped. Ok, just bitter from the bad experience :<

We pride ourselves in being the largest and best driver developer.  As such support is important to us. Chowmain provides 19 hours of technical support via phone, chat and ticket a day (mon - fri) manned by a team of 6.

We want to ensure our customers are happy with the driver before they commit so we provide a 90 day trial.  This 90 days is plenty to get a understanding of if the driver is right to you.

I know you have a solution now so this driver probably isn't for you however you should reach out to the MyQ driver developer in regards to your grievances.  I am not sure if they can provide you with a refund or not but might be worth a shot.

16 hours ago, Olichops said:

RATGDO is the same as your directly connected I/O module but provides more information. No cloud control. Its a serial connection for your garage door and provides status as well as control of the door. It does not rely on a hacked API connection to work.