C4 Forums | Control4

Push Notifications from C4 to Android and iOS

seth_j

Our PushNotify Control4 driver is out.. You can get push notifications instead of email from your C4 to iOS or Android devices.. Works on systems 1.6 and up.

Pretty cool because you can set priority alert levels so minor events (doors opening etc.) don't have a sound or just vibrate the phone. If the priority is high then you can set a really annoying alarm! The iOS app also has quiet hours and DND features. Not sure about the android app but it looks similar and has similar features. Who has android anyway? :P

More info in my signature on the C4 dealer forums. :)

Cheers!

I just downloaded this and played with it by sending push notifications to my iphone. This is FANTASTIC for those of us too cheap to have unlimited texting. I'm also assuming this would work without 4sight. I'll be sending a paypal payment over in 24 hours ;-)

AWESOME!! Simply fantastic! This should be on everyone's list! I was hoping someone would put this out so we wouldn't be shackled to the 4sight subscription!

PS - i send email notifications thru SMS for a different purpose and it works fine. Yes it does have a little garbage due to the amount of characters (letter count) in the email. Typically, on the iPhone you will get a text that looks like this:

1 of 1

FRM: XXXX XXXXXXX

SUBJ:[#Feb-3] BLahhh Blahh Blahh

MSG: Blahh blahh blahh xxxxx blahhh xxxx blahh

(end)

Can the Event/Notification handle strings like email? Example is Door Lock user codes, ${Den::Den Black and Decker Zigbee Lock::USERNAME}.

Yes... You can send variables in either the Event or Notification field.

I have no idea what that variable would look like as I don't have a lock system here but if it is available in the C4 environment it can be sent.

Where do I get this driver and what is the cost?

Standard "contact your dealer" line here. If you are a dealer look for my signature on the dealer forums or PM me for more info.

Here is what it looks like when you you unlock a door. The very first part "Control4" just lets you know where the message is coming from based on the driver. The part about the basement is what I inputed before adding the line of code. The next line "Paul" is the variable showing what username unlocked the door.

This may be a stupid question, but what's the difference between a text message and a push notification?

They both show up roughly the same in iOS -- at least to the end user... There's an example of what a TXT message looks like above when you send it from email -- lots of random things not important. This also allows you to set a priority level and assign different alert sounds to those levels. If it were just a text message you'd have just the same sound for your C4 system as you would for anyone else.

Does that make sense?

This is awesome! I was going to write a driver for Prowl, but for what this driver costs, you just saved me a bunch of time!

:) No problem! Depending on how well this is received I've got some really fun ideas to go along with it... Also contemplating my own iOS/Android app to remove the problem of paying for third party apps. It would make it install easier for sure. We'll see how that goes.

Significantly more time/money to get that going though.... This would have to be really, really popular for me to do it...

This is really cool! With Prowl on iOS you can register Control4 as a redirect to a custom url. If you use Control4:// as the url it will give you the option to launch the myhome app when a notification is received.... neat!

Special thanks to Sam B. for figuring that one out.

• 3 weeks later...
OK got this up and running today. Wow is it fast, I have a notification sent when the driveway sensor is tripped and almost immediately after I drive over it I get the notification!

Great job!

I use it for that too as well as other things. I get the notification and pull up my cavu app on my iphone and bam I see whose at my house.

Sorry' date=' but where do you get this driver?....[/quote']

Your dealer can obtain it from him through the Control4 dealer forums.

Right on! Another one on the list..

So basically you can use things like card access motion sensors to trigger this? Is this the nuts and bolts of this?

Can we keep the user suggestions coming of how to put this driver to use. This is awesome.. :)

So far just to let me know the status of the alarm system, when it is armed, disarmed or a higher level emergency alert if the alarm is triggered.

Will also set it up for water sensor advice soon.

OK got this up and running today. Wow is it fast' date=' I have a notification sent when the driveway sensor is tripped and almost immediately after I drive over it I get the notification!

Great job![/quote']

I use it for that too as well as other things. I get the notification and pull up my cavu app on my iphone and bam I see whose at my house.

Whats cavu?

Archived