C4 Forums | Control4

Just Add Power 2G plus

ERDrPC

bad experience with jap?

Not me personally. I would ask the early adopters how they feel. I would also ask the manufacturer if there product will support 2k and 4k tv's when they eventually come out, or will that be another expensive replacement solution. Finally, what if they go out of business will you have to rip everything apart and start all over again if there product starts breaking down or is there solution non-proprietary?

My needs would be full 1080p in 10 zones (3 zones of 7.2), instant switching, bi-directional IR, RS-232. Sources include DirecTV x1 , Cable box x 3, PS3, dune or HTPC x 2, Bluray, wall plate input in office x 1, 4 Axis security cameras visible on all screens/touch screens.

I was told by an installer that 2G plus brings back instant switching to 2G. Future proofing to 4K would be nice

My needs would be full 1080p in 10 zones (3 zones of 7.2), instant switching, bi-directional IR, RS-232. Sources include DirecTV x1 , Cable box x 3, PS3, dune or HTPC x 2, Bluray, wall plate input in office x 1, 4 Axis security cameras visible on all screens/touch screens.

I was told by an installer that 2G plus brings back instant switching to 2G. Future proofing to 4K would be nice

Id go with the new Atlona HDBaseT product.

I have a JAP 2G solution that was installed in January 2011. I have 3 cable boxes and 1 Apple TV going to 4 TVs. My initial experience was awful until the firmware was updated. Watching football or basketball, there was very noticeable jitter in the ball movement. After a long day, my dealer finally upgraded the firmware on the 4 receivers and 4 transmitters. It took him til 1030pm. Now, the performance is "fine". I've only had to reboot 2 or 3 (of 8 total) JAP devices in the last 10 months or so. Video quality is pretty good, though my Bluray is connected direct to my receiver -- no JAP on that. Time Warner quality is pretty crappy to begin with, so in general, the video output is OK. Switching between sources is a bit slow, maybe 2-3 seconds. It's not that big of a deal since I'm generally only switching sources when turning on my TVs and not "source surfing" like you would channel surf. Now that I have it, I'm OK with it. However, I have a couple of major issues which prevents me from recommending it to anyone.

First, it really pisses me off as a customer that the 2G+ solution -- whenever this may come out -- will not help me, the early adopter who bought 8 devices. There's no way I'm going to buy 8 new devices to get the benefits here. I believe there was a similar problem w/ the migration from 1G to 2G. While these devices may all work together, I'm not adding sources or TVs so it does me no good. I'd prefer firmware upgrades without new hardware. That's how to keep customers happy and how to get me to recommend it. Plus, make the firmware remotely upgradeable. A truck roll to update this stuff? As a dealer, I'd find this totally unacceptable and would never sell this to anyone. So, by the time I buy 8 new devices, I can buy a new Atlona product.

Second, it really pisses me off that I had to buy a $3500 enterprise-class switch to get this to work w/ the Blackwire Designs driver. Their driver supports only a certain model of Dell or Cisco switches and I had to rip out and remove my Netgear Gigabit switch which was fine for everything else BUT JAP and the Blackwire Driver. Further, the Dell switch is so loud it's ridiculous. My data closet is in close proximity to my living room and you can hear this thing all over the place, despite some acoustical dampening.

So in summary, for new installations, save your money and try anything else before you try JAP. Now that I have it, I'm not about to rip it out. But until they make these things field upgradeable w/ all the new benefits, even early adopters should stay away. If you're rolling out 50 TVs in a commercial environment, maybe this is a great solution. But not necessarily the best to replace a 4x4 matrix given the costs and complexity.

If anything that I said was factually incorrect, I apologize and welcome any corrections, further dialog or suggestions on how I can improve my experience and that of current or future JAP customers.

Here's some actual information about Just Add Power's 2G+ models and the 2G firmware upgrade.

2G+

* CEC over IP (using an IP session to send CEC commands to target devices)

* HDMI Terminal Screw for locking down "professional" HDMI cables

* HDMI passthrough port on Transmitters to attach a local preview monitor

* Audio output ports on the Transmitters and Receivers (3.5mm stereo)

* Move the console port to the bottom of the PCB and have a hole there for easy access without opening case (2G standards will start being built this way also)

The 2G+ models will be compatible with the standard 2G models, so you can mix/match them in an installation as needed. The other big news is that the instant switching firmware for 2G, with support for multi-channel audio distribution, is about to be released for public consumption. All existing 2G owners can be upgraded to the new firmware and realize these features.

My needs would be full 1080p in 10 zones (3 zones of 7.2)' date=' instant switching, bi-directional IR, RS-232. Sources include DirecTV x1 , Cable box x 3, PS3, dune or HTPC x 2, Bluray, wall plate input in office x 1, 4 Axis security cameras visible on all screens/touch screens.

I was told by an installer that 2G plus brings back instant switching to 2G. Future proofing to 4K would be nice[/quote']

Id go with the new Atlona HDBaseT product.

I think that looks like a very promising product.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: My dealer verified that my Cisco SG300-28P is supposed to work with JAP and the Blackwire driver. I was very concerned that I was supposed to be ok with JAP, but I didn't think about also having to worry about Blackwire. This switch is well south of $1k, so the "enterprise switch" argument to not go with JAP shouldn't apply anymore, hopefully.

Take this with a grain of salt as of course 2G+ isn't out yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just basically still on the fence on this versus a typical matrix switch--so I wanted to hear from other users. I wasn't going to do anything until 2G Plus came out and I was kind of surprised there wasn't any chatter here about it. I forgot about it since before CEDIA until today...

I have tons of issues with my install and my remodel still, so it will be a while before I decide for sure what to do.

Anything new in these devices on supporting 4K/Ultra HD? It isn't an absolute necessity but at the investment point it would be nice.

Thanks Kevin.

There are a number of advantages to JAP/Blackwire to keep in mind: modular and expendable means that you can get an 10in 3out switch, whereas a "classic" setup this would force you to a 16x16 switch in this case. Or add a source when the latest gadget comes out even if it's the 9th source...

Also what is really nice is the ease (and lack of needing added components) of using localized sources that you still want available across the house (say a blu-ray player on every floor, or a game console) - just put the transmitter where the source is.

On top of that, JAP/Blackwire has worked 100% - every single time for us, and it continues being the only one that holds that statistic (not atlona, not any of the 10+ brands I've worked with over the years).

Yes it's price is a bit higher than some "standard" solutions- but it delivers.

The 2G Plus product is great. It has been shipping since CEDIA and is very popular.. what did you want to know about it?

My installation is actually working mostly OK now. (see earlier rant above). I have a couple of questions:

1) I was wondering how much trouble it would be to swap out a couple of 2G+ units for my 2G units. I could use the pass through HDMI connection for at least one of my transmitters. I would also like to clean up my rack and install 1 rack-mounted set of 3 transmitters just for the sake of bringing more order to the rack. If the swap is a hassle, I won't bother.

2) While most of my system is working OK now, I still have to reset one of my four transmitters weekly. It's not a major problem, but my wife always complains that "the cable is working" and sometimes TWC provides S/W updates powering off the boxes, sometimes the box has to be reset but often the JAP transmitter needs a reboot due to lost video. Often I lose video but audio remains. Does 2G+ increase reliability at all?

Archived