C4 Forums | Control4

Post your Control4 request's here

ichbinbose

Hi, since there is obviously a lot of interest in suggesting new features, hardware & software here, I am starting this thread to make an easy place for everyone to post their suggestion.

So please suggest whatever feature or product that you wish to see, and I for one will suggest as many as I can to my local rep.

The only feature that I will not suggest ever is the DIY suggestion that is brought up every month or so........as I have said else where it is beating a dead horse, so just leave it alone.

Anyway I am looking forward to hearing as many ideas and suggestions as possible.

Thanks

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Multi-Zone/Mult-Unit HVAC control including heated floors/heated towel racks (planning stages for a home with 3 ACs and 3 HVACs/Hepa/air recyclers)

2. Control of driveway glycol heating system - recognize when live internet weather feeds for correct lat/long or external weather device shows active snow

3. Integrated video/audio driveway gate control & front door intercom

4. Reliable back-up generator integration

5. Media management: on-screen or iPad gui/metadata like XBMC/My Movies/MediaBrowser - C4's true media player should use the sigma 8910

6. HID/biometric door entry integration

7. Solar power integration...not sure if this is done yet

8. Reliable HDMI distribution (I know reliable and HDMI are like water & fire)

9. Motorized pool cover control based on biometric password or entered password from a controller/touchscreen/iPad

10. Blackberry playbook app...I know I'm really out to lunch on this one

If C4 could do half of these reliably with minimal button pushes then it's going into my build

1. Multi-Zone/Mult-Unit HVAC control including heated floors/heated towel racks (planning stages for a home with 3 ACs and 3 HVACs/Hepa/air recyclers)

2. Control of driveway glycol heating system - recognize when live internet weather feeds for correct lat/long or external weather device shows active snow

3. Integrated video/audio driveway gate control & front door intercom

4. Reliable back-up generator integration

5. Media management: on-screen or iPad gui/metadata like XBMC/My Movies/MediaBrowser - C4's true media player should use the sigma 8910

6. HID/biometric door entry integration

7. Solar power integration...not sure if this is done yet

8. Reliable HDMI distribution (I know reliable and HDMI are like water & fire)

9. Motorized pool cover control based on biometric password or entered password from a controller/touchscreen/iPad

10. Blackberry playbook app...I know I'm really out to lunch on this one

If C4 could do half of these reliably with minimal button pushes then it's going into my build

hey thats a great start!

so I will touch base on a few of these.

1. the dealers just had a tstat survy so its something C4 is looking at.

2. this would be very cool

3. they are working on a front door intercom

4. I think this has as much to do with the generator and how its installed as well as the rest of the system design.

5. absolutly agree

6. you should be able to do this now with some 3rd party product

7. yes you can with Eragy

8. well, C4 does have several partners that produce very nice HDMI matrix switches

9. this could be a life safty issue, not really sure as I don't deal with a lot of pools where I'm at

10. uhmmm, well with RIM loosing customers everyday and the iPhone and the droid picking those guys up and everyone else from soccer moms to CEO's I wouldn't count on that one.

ok, so I think I actually hit them all! Keep them coming.

#1 -- Can be done with third party stats

#2 -- possible if someone wrote an app for it.. The current weather apps don't have any outputs in programming :( I like the idea though!

#4 -- Is there a smart generator? IE one that can be communicated through. If not its like asking for the NEST thermostat driver - won't happen.

#5 -- I think 3rd party players have done a better job keeping up with technologies than C4.. I could care less if they made another media player.

#6 -- Been done for years

#8 -- Plenty of other offerings on the market. Plenty....

#9 -- Can be done now but I will never do it because of liability issues.

#10 -- as a developer there's no way I'd spend the time making anything for RIM. They're dead in the water.

I like the ideas though...

Dear Control4,

Please follow-through on dealer gossip. If a dealer comes on here and tells us that you will re-add CD cover art back into the software then do it. If a end-user comes on here and says his dealer called you and you told him that OS version 2.2 will be out end of Nov., try harder to meet that commitment. When I was working, I was held to a project timeline, budget and the end-result just like you guys. I didn't make it, I didn't get a good review. As I see it, until you can demonstrate some kind of record for cleaning-up software flaws from the previous efforts, don't introduce new problems.

All my Love,

Mr. controlfourbacksideboyenduserguy

Dear Control4,

Please follow-through on dealer gossip. If a dealer comes on here and tells us that you will re-add CD cover art back into the software then do it. If a end-user comes on here and says his dealer called you and you told him that OS version 2.2 will be out end of Nov., try harder to meet that commitment. When I was working, I was held to a project timeline, budget and the end-result just like you guys. I didn't make it, I didn't get a good review. As I see it, until you can demonstrate some kind of record for cleaning-up software flaws from the previous efforts, don't introduce new problems.

All my Love,

Mr. controlfourbacksideboyenduserguy

Anything not released does not exist. Period. If anyone told you these things they are foolish. Control4 doesn't release ANYTHING on a timeline and no-one that knows when things will REALLY be released will comment on exactly when because of NDAs.

Gossip is just gossip. If a dealer is selling you gossip you should fire them.

A dimmer/ switch combined with more than the current two buttons. It'd be great to have a six button where one is a toggle for a light, and the rest can be programmed!

Much easier for retrofits.

I've always liked this idea.. I think the EU guys have something like this now in puck form -- or at least they were showing it at CEDIA. Wish the US had something like that too.

Be able to link my outlook calender to wake up events. Have the system run the wake up (warm the towels and bathroom floor) 1 hr before I'm scheduled to work if my shift starts before 11 and repeat for my wife based on her schedule.

Same thing for returning home.

Dear Control4' date='

All my Love,

Mr. controlfourbacksideboyenduserguy[/quote']

Anything not released does not exist. Period. If anyone told you these things they are foolish. Control4 doesn't release ANYTHING on a timeline and no-one that knows when things will REALLY be released will comment on exactly when because of NDAs.

My dealer? Who said MY dealer said things? I got everything here and most of it from reputable dealers. Shall we fire them?

I would love to see CD cover art. Also start your car from any touch screen.

I would imaginer most Control4 owners park their vehicle on a garage, no?

I can't see Control4 manufacturing a remote start for your car and trying to compete with Viper on remote start systems.

I would love to see CD cover art. Also start your car from any touch screen.

I would imaginer most Control4 owners park their vehicle on a garage' date=' no?

I can't see Control4 manufacturing a remote start for your car and trying to compete with Viper on remote start systems.[/quote']

Nope, not on, but in! :)

Dear Control4' date='

All my Love,

Mr. controlfourbacksideboyenduserguy[/quote']

My dealer? Who said MY dealer said things? I got everything here and most of it from reputable dealers. Shall we fire them?

Please re-read what I wrote. Nowhere did I say it was your dealer.

Rule of thumb: if it doesn't exist on http://control4.com/residential/products/ it probably doesn't exist. I don't get my hopes up until it does. I've seen panelized lighting products at a few shows now. After years they still don't exist and priorities could change at C4 before they exist.

You are talking about stuff that truly is not in the market yet. I'm talking about stuff that has been introduced but doesn't work. Let's forget the dealer issue- I only got the impression you meant my dealer because you mentioned the word "fire" I wouldn't hire just to get information then fire them afterwards, My dealer is not getting rid of me anytime soon and he never has any speculatory (is that a word?) things to say ever.

So, you seem to think what we all think- most features/products that either dealers think will seel or end-users want don't seem to materialize often enough. Why this list then? I know you got to start somewhere but look at the process is it is today.

Beisdes, how much freakin effort does it take to fix software? I know I've been told countless times "it's a big deal becuase you change here and you have to change there and..." In the meantime, customer blood begins to boil.

Well I'm with you there.. For some reason I read your post as imaginary products.. :)

Bugs should be fixed.... I know C4 keeps a list of them like every software company and some have higher priorities than others. They do get to them although it just takes time.

Rule of thumb: if it doesn't exist on http://control4.com/residential/products/ it probably doesn't exist. I don't get my hopes up until it does. I've seen panelized lighting products at a few shows now. After years they still don't exist and priorities could change at C4 before they exist.

For us old timers....

Home Theater Receiver Controller

Was on the website, had PDF files, everything.

NEVER happened.

Just saying.. ;)

Yeah, that was then, this is now.

From about 1.3 onwards (shortly after I arrived, but correlation does not prove causation :), Control4 has only very infrequently announced things that wouldn't be available in 30 days or less (still a few of those, but not many).

This was a conscious decision, partially made (IMHO) due to the fact that Control4 made a lot of promises early on, and couldn't fulfill those promises in a timely manner.

RyanE

OK, how about we get back to our wish-list? I really use the daylights out of Eragy's What's On? It's out and it works (most of the time) but why not roll-in something like that into the OS. Make it so it's sorta passive. I think this utility can be the start to an energy-friendly piece of code. Why spend straight-away on Peak when this kind of info comes cheap.

Later, Control4 should think about taking a chance on offering C4-branded ZP current clamps and a black box acquisition unit. eGauge seems to be the one of the only competitors here (Peaks CTs are distgustingly large and their controller is a toy).

Archived