C4 Forums | Control4

Post your Control4 request's here

ichbinbose

I haven't seen this mentioned yet and it's rare that DIY ever gets brought up.

So here's my request:

5. No more licensing for software and this includes ComposerPro. Why lock it down if only 1% (very small minority) want to mess with it?

Exactly. Who cares if the 2-5% of Control4 users want to do it? They always claim cause it could hurt their reputation. NOT buying it.

How many copies of Composer 1.3-1.8 are running around out there on warez/ftp/etc sites? More then you can count. Has C4 died or suffered from all the negative posts/comments/issues from users trying to program their own systems with it? Nah. Nope. No.

But whatever, eventually something VERY similiar to C4 will come along with open software and they DIY crowd will move on leaving C4.

Just my .02 cents.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't seen this mentioned yet and it's rare that DIY ever gets brought up.

So here's my request:

5. No more licensing for software and this includes ComposerPro. Why lock it down if only 1% (very small minority) want to mess with it?

Exactly. Who cares if the 2-5% of Control4 users want to do it? They always claim cause it could hurt their reputation. NOT buying it.

How many copies of Composer 1.3-1.8 are running around out there on warez/ftp/etc sites? More then you can count. Has C4 died or suffered from all the negative posts/comments/issues from users trying to program their own systems with it? Nah. Nope. No.

But whatever' date=' eventually something VERY similiar to C4 will come along with open software and they DIY crowd will move on leaving C4.

Just my .02 cents.[/quote']

I agree 100%. They need to add DIY! I think they would actually benefit from it. There are a lot of technical people out who would rather do it themselves than fork over $$$ to dealers every time a component needs to be added. I would even pay extra $ for an edition of the software that would give me the DIY ability for home use. Maybe called Composer Home Pro 2.0. Without DIY I will never upgrade to 2.0.

Here are my requests, from someone who can update and maintain a computer but calls on tech friends for anything else:

- make it easier to update my system, like 4Sight implies when it asks if I want updates. I recognize that if I add 3rd party drivers that this gets more complex. When I went from Windows 2000 to XP, that meant buying new compatible software. With other software/firmware, you get updates til the next big release If I bugger up the project, then I'll have no choice but to call my dealer.

- let me add simple devices to my project, eg switches, iPads etc

- help me get the best value for my money, and use it to add to my system not maintain it. (see above)

- provide more info on the website re MSRP. Its hard to budget, compare quotes when the manufacturer's retail price isn't visible. I know many dealers incl programming in the price but $190 for a dimmer installed with basic programming?

- give me an avenue of recourse with C4 if the dealer is unresponsive to dealing with issues. Charlie Jarvis is great at responding to issues with the iPad and iPhone software; why can't then copy that? Synology has excellent customer support.

- improve and monitor dealer/tech training. My first tech was self taught and thought tech 1 was not worthwhile. My dealer tried to instal parts of the project over the phone with his "trained" tech. I paid for their OJT! Give me, the customer, more information on how to select a dealer: how much they sold to become a Platinum dealer is a good indicator of competence.

- improve media management. Why do I need an EV driver and Apple tv to manage my tracks effectively?

- provide more info on the website re MSRP. Its hard to budget, compare quotes when the manufacturer's retail price isn't visible. I know many dealers incl programming in the price but $190 for a dimmer installed with basic programming?

Actually that is not that bad of a price, based on the fact that the dimmer/switch is $129 +tax to begin with, then it takes time to install the dimmer, and this will vary based on every house. For example if its just a single dimmer in a single gang box, odds are its not too difficult, however as soon as there are multiple dimmers going into a 2-6 gang box that changes the amount of time due to the extra wires that are there, derating, etc. Also being that the majority of the dealers are not electricians, we are actually supposed to hire an electrician (at least around by me that is the law. Yes a homeowner can change out a dimmer themself, however if it is being billed for then legally we are required to have a licensed Electrician do it. Also have you ever tried to hire an electrician to come out to install just one dimmer? That right there is generally a $100 charge, at a min.) plus then you add in the time to actually program the dimmer, so really $190 could be a bargin depending on the actual situation.

At the last store I saw that price that didn't include physical installation: it was the switch plus basic programming to have it recognized in the project. I would agree if it included professional installation for something such as a three-way

Ability for C4 to be able to 'read text aloud'. This would be great for announcements. All we have to do is input text and C4 will announce the text in the desired audio zone.

I think that would be pretty cool too... Especially for custom announcements or something..

Ability for C4 to be able to 'read text aloud'. This would be great for announcements. All we have to do is input text and C4 will announce the text in the desired audio zone.

I think that would be pretty cool too... Especially for custom announcements or something..

You can always use something like the link below to create custom accouncements from text. Not as good and typing in directly into C4, but you can get the desired effect based on events.

http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

^ yeah, that's what I use know but if it's native to C4, it would be so much easier. Why should I have to upload wav/mp3 files when I can simply enter text. It's all about making it (end-) user-friendly.

*add something like zigbee radio, audio input/output in hc1000, not just the linux services running off a usb flash on a pc platform. $1500 is not worth for that piece of sh*t

*replace hc1000's psu or fan with somthing else, the current psu and fan are so loud.

:cool:

Hide Room In Location Menu feature under Navigator is next to useless IMO. Instead, make it possible to LIMIT the view of certain rooms from certain rooms. For example, My youngest kid thinks it's funny to flash the lights in big sister's room. i want to limit his display to just his room and the bathroom.

I know you can alter visable devices, like lights, but what's to prevent changing rooms and then putzing-around with lights?

Hide Room In Location Menu feature under Navigator is next to useless IMO. Instead, make it possible to LIMIT the view of certain rooms from certain rooms. For example, My youngest kid thinks it's funny to flash the lights in big sister's room. i want to limit his display to just his room and the bathroom.

I know you can alter visable devices, like lights, but what's to prevent changing rooms and then putzing-around with lights?

Give him an SR150..

^Yeah, it started that way but at 4 he has shown some ability to navigate Rhapsody and load playlists of childrens songs (the little devil!). He uses his 5" ITS everday.

Yeah, my four year old loves turning the lights on and off with the remote as well. Fortunately he just uses the colored buttons so they only control the room he's in (no terrorizing his brothers), but the unfortunate thing is I am often in that same room =)

The 'set channel to' function in the program needs to go more than 1000. All my cable HD channels were recently pushed to the 1000 series, so my previous channel 711 is now 1011. I've programmed a work around by doing a push button '1', pause 1 sec, push button '0', pause 1 sec, push button '1', pause 1 sec,push button '1', pause 1 sec, but that's not very clean.

mattgps:

You can workaround that particular limitation (although in 2.2 I was able to go up to 9999, so it may be fixed in that release) by adding a code line that has it going to some other number, then right-click on the programming, and select 'Cut'.

Paste the code into an XML Editor (or text editor), change the CHANNEL value and the Description to say whatever channel you want, select the XML, cut it, and paste it into ComposerPro.

Yes, it's cumbersome, but it should work to let you enter a command with a higher Channel number.

Sorry you have to do that.

RyanE

Wake Up Agents: Better Scheduling Options

Currently you can only set the time then ON & OFF. My household of course do not want to wake up at the same time Mon-Fri same as Sat-Sun. If you happen to forget to disable that for Sat morining youd be up at 7am.

I'm thinking of putting something together in the Scheduler but ONLY I could do the schedule maintenance not so user friendly.

Using the TS if it would allow the same flexibility the ame way you could program the Thermostat will be helpful.

How does the other users go around this limitation?

BTW, mattgps:

What cable driver were you using, so I can verify the channel change is raised up to 9999 in ComposerPro?

RyanE

The device is a Motorola DCX3400-M (DCT-6416).

BTW, if all goes smoothly, my new DVR/Cable box will be the Xbox as an extender to my HTPC using the EV WMC driver for ip control and the Ceton cable card adapter for live tv. I tested the functionality of the xbox viewing live TV and it works beautifully. It also replicates my themes from the 'Mediabrowser' app (for movies) and the 'RecordedTV HD' app. I still need to purchase, load and test the EV driver.

This is all being done in conjuction with my dealer, who is giving me enough rope to hang myself. (I'm pretty sure that won't happen).

I lost track of the +'s so I'm just repeating a lot of what has been said earlier (maybe a poll?):

1. Faster controllers - far and away the weakest part of the system. UI that responds slowly makes the system appear to be cheap and low quality. Navigation on a 200/300 is way, way too slow

2. Media management - right now I use my Sonos app to control my media. What is most ridiculous is that you can't even search the library. This has been a big gap forever and needs to be fixed. That you can't nest Boxsets or TV series is also ridiculous

3. Media streaming - every box out there it seems has Netflix, Hulu, et al. Why not C4?

4. C4 Amp pre-outs - every input should have an output that can be daisy-chained to a receiver

I lost track of the +'s so I'm just repeating a lot of what has been said earlier (maybe a poll?):

1. Faster controllers - far and away the weakest part of the system. UI that responds slowly makes the system appear to be cheap and low quality. Navigation on a 200/300 is way, way too slow

2. Media management - right now I use my Sonos app to control my media. What is most ridiculous is that you can't even search the library. This has been a big gap forever and needs to be fixed. That you can't nest Boxsets or TV series is also ridiculous

3. Media streaming - every box out there it seems has Netflix, Hulu, et al. Why not C4?

4. C4 Amp pre-outs - every input should have an output that can be daisy-chained to a receiver

Wake Up Agents: Better Scheduling Options

Is there already a solution to this?

Archived