C4 Forums | Control4

Gas Fireplace recommendations?

C4Newbie

I'm planning to install a new gas fireplace that I'd like to control through my Control4 and am looking for recommendations?  Are there only specific gas fireplaces that will work or will any gas fireplace work with the C4 fireplace switch? 

Some of the fancy fireplaces that have wireless remotes might not work. You need something that can be controlled by a simple open/close of a connection between two wires. Old-school fireplaces work that way. The pilot light hits a thermocouple that generates a very small amount of voltage. The wiring goes through a simple on/off switch, and if the switch is on, the voltage flows to the main gas valve and is just enough to hold the valve open. When the switch is off, the valve doesn't get the voltage and closes.

Fireplaces with fancy electronic controls may or may not have a simple contact closure interface that would work with the C4 FP control - check with the fireplace supplier to make sure.

If possible, run power to a separate switch box and then to the fireplace blower. That way you can power the C4 FP switch from the blower power line, plus you can turn the blower on/off and optionally use a variable speed control for the blower motor. Whether or not you can put line voltage and low voltage in a 2-gang box depends on local electrical code, but it's similar to having electric baseboard heater power and the thermostat relay in the same box. It's usually OK if they're controlling the same device and certain wire type and distance requirements are met.

52 minutes ago, c44me said:

oh how I miss the days of the C4 fireplace switch...

LOL one of few as the things just didn't seem to sell....

My biggest issue was the constant fight with inspectors due to it having both high voltage and low voltage connections :rolleyes:

Mind you, wouldn't mind some alternative from them that could RUN on low voltage as well as switch it....

On 1/20/2017 at 11:29 PM, ERDrPC said:

I can tell you the IP controlled units are not approved for install in Canada :( 

Pourquoi pas?  How is that any different than using a relay tied into C4 or any other HA system?

I think it would be awesome.  I am still trying to find a way to integrate my Rasmussen gas log set into C4.  I have my bedroom fireplace integrated but I don't have the living room done and it uses an RF remote.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Viperman said:

Got a question on this.  My fireplaces have 2 switches for them, one to turn it on and one to turn on the blower.  It is just a regular On/Off light switch.  Why would I need the special "fireplace" switch?

So traditional "dumb" switches are basically just that.  Electrically, they close a circuit when "on" and open the circuit when "off".  The fireplaces you have are using 1 of the switches connected to a low-voltage relay.  Basically, when the two sides of the relay terminal are "connected" the fireplace is on.  You could achieve the same effect by shorting the terminals with a screw driver.  The blower is likely running off of 110 AC (at least, if it's like mine).  The "dumb" switch does the same thing... let the AC through if on, no power if not.

It gets "weird" with "smart switches".  Control4 switches are designed as "powered" devices.  They require 110 AC to them to function, and they pass that 110 AC through to the "load" wire when they're "on".  In order to replace your two fireplace switches with C4 devices, you'll need to make sure that you have a "hot" (110) line, ground, and neutral in the box.  You can replace your blower switch with a standard C4 switch.  BUT (and here's the kicker) since the "on/off" relay on your fireplace MUST only close a circuit, you can't use a C4 switch there.  The C4 "fireplace switch" is basically like the standard switches, but instead of the "hot lead", you get two "relay" wires.  They were basically switch-driven relays, and you can still buy them on eBay every now and again.

An alternative approach would be to put a 2 button keypad in the place of your "on/off" switch, and run the wires from your fireplace relay to the back of a C4 controller, then program the keypad to toggle the relay states.

11 hours ago, Mntneer said:

Unfortunately... me. 

No blower fan, but Cyknight is correct... a motorized feeder that I could tie into the system would be a dream. :)

I had some family with a pellet stove when I was a kid. Now that I think of it, I probably could have automated it with Control4!

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed the Fireplace switch online is the old style switch?  I thought I had seen a Fireplace switch in the new version?  I'm currently renovating a townhouse and putting in new C4 and lighting.  I'll be adding a gas fireplace and am looking at the Heat&Glo line.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm hoping to be able to open the front door with my kwikset lock and have it turn on the fireplace. 

Archived